New Here!

Discussion in 'Casual Chat' started by ChaosMandy, Aug 25, 2012.

1. ChaosMandy

ChaosMandy New Member

Hi! My name is Mandy and I'm new here! I'm the mom of a 3 (almost 4) year old little girl and I'm happily married :)

I just started working from home and I love it! My job is doing tech support. I also am a professional blogger - I write for Wired.com's GeekMom blog. While I make a little money writing, it isn't enough hence the other job.

I look forward to being a part of this forum!
  2. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Welcome to the forum Mandy. Nice to have you with us. :)

I work from home too and I absolutely love it! :)
  3. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Mandy,

Lovely to meet you. What a blessing that you get to work at home and be there with your little girl!

I'd love to hear more about your writing job for GeekMom. If you don't mind me asking, I'd be interested in hearing about how it works. Do they give you the topic to write about? How do they determine your pay? So much per article, per word, per hour?

I'm glad you've decided to join the forum. This is a nice one with a lot of kind and helpful people.

Blessings,
    Angie
  4. ChaosMandy

ChaosMandy New Member

For GeekMom, we aren't given topics to write about. We are pretty much free to write about anything as long as it is geeky and / or parenting related.

We aren't paid by word, article or hour. If you are a regular writer, you don't make anything at all (something that is clear when excepted as a writer). I'm a core contributor, which means I'm required to write 4 articles a month. I get a set amount if I met that requirement - and that amount is very small.

I don't write for GeekMom for the money but for the love of it :)
  5. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Oh, I see. I misunderstood what you were saying originally. :rolleyes: I thought you meant that writing was your main job (professional blogger) and that it didn't pay enough so you were doing the tech support as a supplement. Since you love writing best of all, have you considered writing content for pay? You may have to start off accepting less per article, but eventually you could make a decent amount writing if you are pretty good at it. ;)

You may be familiar with places like odesk.com, fiverr.com, etc. There are quite a few websites where webmasters look for people to write content for them.

Of course, ultimately, if you love writing, it would be ideal to get yourself in a position where you can write for your OWN benefit. By that I mean you can build your own website on a subject you love and build up a steady income from that - through affiliate marketing, Adsense, selling advertising, coming up with a product or service you can offer, etc.

Just something for you to think about. :)

Meanwhile, it's great that you enjoy what you are doing so much - that is worth a lot, in my opinion. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Blessings,
    Angie
    Regina9812 likes this.
  6. Regina9812

Regina9812 New Member

Hello ChaosMandy its nice to read about a fellow home worker that enjoys to write like I do.
    However I have a interest in happywifes suggestion to you. A question actually for you happywife if you get this I was wondering if you could help me with some advice. I am not for sure how this works or if that is exactly what I am looking for. But I have been wanting to create a site and add my writing content to it and advertise my book for sell and more to come on it. I wouldn't mind doing some advertising on it also but need more info. on how to get that started.
  7. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Regina,

Lovely to meet you. It sounds like you would ideally want to build a niche website. I recently wrote an article called Why Build A Niche Website in another thread of the forum that will help explain it all a bit more clearly. My goal this evening is to add another article about what a niche website actually is, so that should help clarify in your mind if this is the type of thing you are looking for.

What kind of book have you written? I've written two books myself, so I love chatting to other authors. ;)

Once you get a decent foundation built for your website, the sky's the limit, really, to how you can monetize it. It's a lot of work up front (no lie there!), but well worth the effort - both financially and with the wonderful feeling of accomplishment or achievement that you experience.

Don't let the lack of "know how" deter you. There are some wonderful step-by-step programs available to help you do it right. That's how I learned!

Looking forward to speaking to you further. Check out those other articles and let me know if you have any questions.

Blessings,
    Angie