New in town...

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Kris Ten, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Kris Ten New Member

Hello all!

I am new to this work at home thing and I have have spent the last few hours on the forum browsing old topics; and I must say it has probably saved me money from jumping naively into some scams! So thank you for that. [IMG]

What I'm having trouble with, is I am looking for a job where I can just make some money on the side. I am not looking to start my own business or anything like that, I just want to find something I can do in my free time to make some extra money.

At first I was drawn to the data entry section because this seems to be the kind of thing I am interested and all the affiliate marketing ideas seem to be related to starting your own business. I wouldn't mind doing an hour so of something data entry related every day just to get some extra spending money. I'm really not looking to get rich or anything like that, just to make some extra money to cover my tuition in the fall.

I guess it all seems pretty overwhelming to me right now.

I was also looking into some transcribing, because I do have experience in that, but most of the good sites I've found have been for the US only, and I am located in Canada. I also don't have any special crazy typing skills (one asked for 80+wpm, I am probably around the 40+ wpm range), or medical training so these seemed miles out of my league.

Any suggestions for me would be greatly appreciated; maybe I could survive in affiliate marketing? It just seems pretty overwhelming, and I haven't really found any (non scam ones) that were for people like me with little experience. I mean I can manage a computer and know Word and Excel, but I'm lost when it comes to programing... I know some basic HTML from high school, but certainly not enough.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and tell you a bit about myself. And plead my case of knowing little to nothing about all this.... any advise or guidance would be great.

Thanks

KrisTen [IMG]
  2. Hello and welcome to the forum.

Take a look at Fiverr.com. I am sure you will be able to offer a service there and make $5 every time. [IMG]
  3. robinincarolina Silver Member

Some of the things I did in affiliate marketing when I was clueless too still bring me in extra cash every month. I started a blog back then and one of the posts just seemed to take off and still gets over 150 visitors a day and brings in consistent money monthly, not tons but it buys gas. I was absolutely clueless too. Trust me. I now just update it weekly with a post, but that's about it.
  4. mountainmom5 Gold Member

I don't know much html and definitely not enough to build a website but I use programs where I don't need to know much about that stuff and make a nice income with affiliate marketing. I think anyone can do what I do, but you have to give yourself a few months of good consistent work and effort before you'll see much of an income. Once you get it, there is no limit to what you can do with it.[IMG]
  5. talfighel Silver Member

Everyone that starts online and has no clue will need to know that there are many scams and many good programs out there.

If you are looking for some sort of a JOB then the only places you should go to are Monster.com and Workopolis.com.

There are many jobs that employers post there.

If you start with an opportunity online, just know that just because you ordered a program that will teach you how to make money online, does not mean that you will make tons of money right away.

It takes time to make money online and those who never quit and take massive action are the ones that do succeed.
  6. happywife Gold Member

Hi KrisTen,

Don't lose heart. When I started a few years ago, I was clueless too. There really is a tremendous amount of potential for making money online through various means.

The "data entry" field is rife with scams, so do be careful if you pursue that angle. Fiverr was a good suggestion, but there are also other sites like odesk.com where you could do specific work for specific pay a little each day as you have described.

Affiliate marketing isn't as difficult as it seems at first, but it makes a world of difference when you have a good blueprint to follow to achieve success in that area. It's a great option for generating long term income as opposed to the immediate short term income you are leaning toward.

You just have to decide what you really want to do and then focus on that exclusively and you will make progress as long as you are following a tried and true course.

I think it's fantastic that you are making the effort to consider these options at your young age. If you stick with it, you are going to be one happy girl in a few years. [IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  7. dmitch31 New Member

Regarding the affiliate marketing you said that you haven't found any "non scam" programs. Can you tell us a little bit more about your experience? What was it about the programs you looked at that led you to believe they were scams?

There are indeed non scam programs out there, but there are undoubtedly a lot more scammy ones. Affiliate marketing has great potential even for a newbie, but I guess the challenge is finding a program that a newbie can get started on right away. Some of them are complicated. And a lot of it depends on to what degree you allow yourself to be distracted by other things.

It sounds to me like even though you might be open to the idea of doing affiliate marketing, you would prefer to do something that could make you some money sooner rather than later, am I right?