New to Online Business

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by KratomUSA, Dec 7, 2011.

1. KratomUSA New Member

My wife and I have recently started an online business. We have never before ventured into ecommerce, and have quickly ran into several problems that we are in need of fixing. One is the problem of getting your site ranked on Google,Bing and Yahoo. The second problem we have, we chose to use Drupal to build our site. Now we can't find any web maintenance companies who'll work on it. If anyone here is familar with the Drupal problem please fill free to give me some advice. The google ranmking problem we are working on feverishly and would like a few ideas as where to get started
  2. PeterFrosen New Member

Personally I don't mind giving you free tips on improving your website and giving you other pointers about getting traffic. Feel free to PM me about anything particular you are looking to know about.

Know that nothing is a big "secret" and it's all about hard work and using the right methods.
  3. happywife Gold Member

Hi Chris,

It's great that you and your wife are tackling the online world together. I think that would make it extra enjoyable to have that additional moral support going forward.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with drupal. I build all of my websites using SBI, so I'd be no help with the drupal questions.

With the search engine rankings, that's another matter. What type of methods are you already using?

The most effective method of gaining natural search engine rankings is to do some thorough keyword research and then add content to your site based on that research.

Let me give you an example. I assume you are referring to the website in your signature. (Incidentally, it would be a good idea to make your url a live clickable link.)

I've never heard of Kratom, but based on what your site says, this herb works well as an antidiarrhetic. So, you need to find out what phrases people are typing in the search engines in relation to diarrhea. Focus on the phrases that have a higher search demand and a lower supply (competing websites).

I did a quick little bit of research for you, and some good potential keyword phrases would be...

diarrhea treatment
    causes of diarrhea
    chronic diarrhea
    travelers diarrhea
    stop diarrhea

...just to give you an idea. You then write a content page (article) about that specific phrase, using the keywords in the right places on the page - meta tags (title, description, keywords), headline, first paragraph, in a text link, etc.

The more good quality content you provide the search engines around what real people are searching for, the more the search engines will list you higher in the search engine results.

That was just one example based on a quick look at your site. I'm sure there are plenty of angles you can pursue in your keyword research that relates to the benefits that users of your product would receive.

Good quality content based on keyword research is the most important step, but you will also want to gradually develop links back to your site from quality related sites which will also increase your rankings.

There's not really a FAST way to rank well in the search engines. It takes consistent action of following the basic steps over and over again.

Oh, I guess I should mention that you do need to submit your site to search engines in the first place. [IMG] Have you already done that?

Hope this helps a bit.
    Blessings,
    Angie
  4. mountainmom5 Gold Member

Angie pretty much spoke my piece as I use SBI as well, so I'll just second what she said. She is much better at explaining things anyways. [IMG]
  5. annalaurab New Member

I'm just curious why you chose drupal over wordpress?
  6. FreeCashMan Active Member

You could probably have someone over at www.fiverr.com hook you up with a wordpress site and attach to your domain that you are working on the seo and be well on your way. Assuming you have your own hosting account.

You may save a lot of hassle just getting your website redone to something that you can get more assistance with fast.
  7. damasco9 New Member

On my oppinion you should start using wordpress..is more user

friendly..so you will get easier through the tehnical part[IMG]
  8. aaronempowered New Member

I have one solution that will help solve both problems. Rebuild a site with Wordpress. It's probably not what you want to hear, but better now than in the future when your site is built up and there's absolutely NO ONE to technically maintain it.

Also, Wordpress ranks easily on Google, it;s a well established fact. Not to mention how user friendly it is, you'll save a ton of time in the future, it'll probably look better because of all the aesthetic themes, and best of all, you'll actually have people to go to for help.

If your business is local you should be able to rank easily, if not, like affiliate marketing or something, it's a matter of learning SEO. Take the time and go learn it, it's free.
  9. WahIdeas New Member

I have only been a part of this online forum for a few days, but Angie offers Fantastic advice, you'd do well to listen to her!

I am sorry to hear of your problems, but know that persistence and hard work will get you through most anything and make you stronger for it. I'd second damasco9's advice and rebuild using Wordpress as it is an established blogging platform with a huge amount of support...and like many have said, it tends to rank well.
  10. mreese601 Member

Well I would first ditch Drupal! Go with wordpress! It's a better platform! Google love it! And their are a ton of people to help you with wordpress! And it's a easy blogging platform to work with! Do what Angie says in the post above! Then you want to ping you webpage. go too pingler.com after you ping it then you want to social bookmark your page. go too socialposter.com and then ping each one! After that you want to find some forum in your niche post a link in your profile and then you want to do some blog comment and post your link on other blogs! Then find some .edu fourm and post links This will get you some traffic and help get you ranked in google, yahoo, and bing!
  11. moneyforlife2 New Member

I am totally new to the online marketing thing myself. I have come across so much stuff in the short time I have been doing this. It's kind of crazy. There is so much information to learn sometimes it seems overwhelming. I have tried to buy some programs to help shorten the curve. There is some legitimate stuff out there and then some not so legitimate stuff. Sometimes it's hard to know which is which. I am not sure how I ran across this site but I am soooo very thankful I did. I will definitely try things you all suggest. I will also let you know the results I had. I hope I can offer some great advice that helps everyone in the future.

You can send me a private message and I will give you a couple links that helped me with already created templates that I can customize. Both with traditional websites and wordpress blogs. Not expensive and you don't have to be design pro to use them.