New to working from home...ideas to form work groups?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by reina, Aug 6, 2012.

1. reina

reina New Member

Hello, I am new to working from home - just got a great job that allows this opportunity.

However, I am very social...does anyone have any ideas for forming work communities in cafes and such, just that would allow the opportunity to work with people who need to be around other people for motivation.

I was going to start a discussion group on Craigslist, but wanted to know if there were other more "formal" or "official" websites that pair people in similar industries that just want to work together to get out of the house every now and then...

Thanks,

Reina
  2. Alison Smith

Alison Smith New Member

hi! have you tried linked in? anyways..have a quick question. do you have any work from home job suggestions? I am search for a work at home job. Your help would very much be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Alison
  3. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Reina,

That's an interesting question. If you're looking for other "locals" you probably might be better searching for specific FB groups, etc., that are specific to your region. If locality doesn't matter, check out some of the work at home MOM forums. WAHM forums will probably provide a greater likelihood of finding women who are in a similar situation to your own.

Blessings,
    Angie
  4. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Alison,

Finding an actual work at home "job" is a lot harder than starting your own home "business." At least I find it to be so. Most of the jobs promoted online are really nothing more than bold faced lies - sorry to say. However, if you like to write and don't mind a bit of research, you may be able to blend the two concepts - job + business - and pick up some writing jobs for people who need content written on specific topics. You can go to places like odesk.com, elance.com, etc., and bid on some jobs there. You'll probably have to start off bidding low in order to build up a portfolio, but once you develop some positive feedback, you can increase your prices to something more suitable.

Hope that helps.
    Blessings,
    Angie
  5. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

MeetUp.com is the place to find real people in your area who share your interests.
    If they don't have a group already you can start one and invite people.
    happywife likes this.
  6. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Reina,

You got some great advice and suggestions. Facebook and Twitter may be 2 other sites to try as well.
  7. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on joining.

You can find local Facebook groups in your area. That is what I would do.

Rein, welcome again. Hope you do well.
  8. clarkcapers7234

clarkcapers7234 New Member

LinkedIn, is the definite place for you.
  9. miller111

miller111 New Member

Members posted a lot of trusted resources here. You should check this material. But it all depends on you. Make a research about freelancing sites and forums. Good luck.
  10. mreese601

mreese601 Member

I don't know of any group! But I would love to join one with you! So let me know if you find one! Or hey we could form our own networking group here.
  11. Jason Maxwell

Jason Maxwell New Member

Hi everybody. I am new to the game. I work full-time outside of the home and looking for a part-time job working from home. Hey guys, respond back to me if you have an opportunity for me that I don't have to pay anything up front.
  12. miller111

miller111 New Member

Jason Maxwell, what's your specialty? What are you interested in?
  13. Joey Xoto

Joey Xoto New Member

It's going to be really hard finding a work at home job. Not saying it's impossible, but if you really want to work from you home you be better off sticking to a normal job for the mean time whilst building your own business. It's hard work, but the results and freedom that can come from it are going to far surpass the time spent working hard.

If you need any help feel free to just PM me.

Joey
  14. StephanieH

StephanieH New Member

As others have said, the social media sites are great for finding connections. You do have to be careful to use your time effectively though, and not get side-tracked. :)

Forums like this one are a great help as well. They allow you to connect with other like-minded people and provide a virtual community.
  15. shmeeko69

shmeeko69 Member

A friend of my has started a few different Facebook groups and this seems to be an excellent way to get like minded people in and around your area to engage with one and other and share tips and advice. It has also helped him sell a few items that he would have otherwise have struggled using the old e-bay or car boot sale route.

Mark :)
  16. annadenise

annadenise Member

I have Linkedin, that is mentioned alot here, that has a number of groups as does Facebook. I love forums. As I mentioned in an earlier post in this forum elsewhere, I had gotten away from forum posting and Linkedin for that matter due to extreme personal issues that are resolved now. Forums are good as long as you don't spend too much time there.

There is a big difference between working at home for someone else and working at home for yourself. Either requires motivation as regards having a workspace set up in a quiet environment where you don't hear other noises. Ex: When I have conference calls I make sure I go in my office and shut the door in case the dog barks.

If you are looking at working at home for yourself, in my opinion it is best to find companies that are either free to join or where you can join as a customer first then decide what you want to do.
  17. miller111

miller111 New Member

Great suggestions here. But first of all person should realize all the difficulties of this job. Not everyone can blogging or making articles that bring a good reward.