New website startup?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Shannon1ford, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Shannon1ford

Shannon1ford New Member

Hi all I'm new to the forums but I have been doing surveys and afiliate marketing for a while now, I even paid to learn so if anyone needs hints or tips about surveys or afiliate marketing just yell out.

My question though is about websites I want to start my own but have no programming experience at all and I was wondering if there are any sites that teach you how ? (googles not working with me lol).

Also any hints would be greatly appreciated [​IMG].
    Thankyou all.
  2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Oh...oh...oh...

SBI is definitely the way to go.[​IMG]

There are several of us on the forum here that have used their system... if you need to see what it looks like, you can see mine at emergency-survival-skills.com .... [​IMG]
  3. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Shannon,

M5 is right - SBI does rock and it's a good program to go with.

If you'd rather learn coding and go with your own choice of hosting, you can visit www.w3schools.com to get free tutorials.

Learn HTML then CSS then PHP. PHP comes in real handy if you decide to host a WordPress blog.

If you really want to get serious about web coding, I suggest that you either purchase an HTML and CSS best seller from Amazon or take a few web classes from a local college.

A good choice for non-SBI hosting would be www.hostgator.com

~Newbie Shield~
  4. zaneypops

zaneypops New Member

Newbie Shield has the best advice. Getting Front Page or Dream Weaver and teaching yourself how to build a site is the best way to go. It may not be the fastest or the easiest but long term you put yourself in the position to be able to build site upon site yourself. Plus it can be very fun.
  5. Shannon1ford

Shannon1ford New Member

Cool thanks guys will definately check out those sources and hopefully get my own site up.
    Feeling a bit disappointed in the one I bought into (the one on my sig) it looks good but they are trying to sell me advertising packages now lol am definately a sucker for punishment I guess [​IMG] .

Can't wait to get my own site up and work on what I enjoy the most.
  6. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Shannon,

I second the recommendation for using SBI for successful site building. It's been a real blessing to me. They also happen to be running a sale this week, so the timing for considering it is quite good.

I'm a fellow book lover - I'm sure I've read thousands. But I've discovered a passion for site building too, so now I juggle the two in my spare time. [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  7. Watchmen

Watchmen New Member

I find that designing the website isn't hard, it's getting backlinks that a pain.
  8. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

You can usually do a Google search such as "free web design tutorial" or something to that effect - also, you can check out Youtube for that kind of stuff as well.
  9. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

zaneypops: Getting Front Page or Dream Weaver and teaching yourself how to build a site is the best way to go.
    That's not what Newbie Shield said....

In fact he said the complete opposite.

When you code your website you tend to understand much more about how it works and can optimize it better and have more functionality.

Dream Weaver makes me so mad sometimes when a picture won't place properly etc.
  10. lanitap

lanitap New Member

I personally have never built websites but I do know some people who do and they recommend Dream Weaver, but that is speaking from some else's opinion.
  11. Shannon1ford

Shannon1ford New Member

Cool thanks all (soz for slow reply) I went out and bought the Creating a Website for Dummies book big plus it came with programs and templates for making a site.

Will probably find a free host and post all my survey sites on it I have over 300 theres bound to be 1 for everybody [​IMG].
  12. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Matt is right - I don't advocate the use of a WYSIWYG editor.

It's best to know HTML and CSS well.

Second best is knowing enough HTML and CSS to tweak clean, existing templates.

It's true that using a WYSIWYG editor makes precise placement of images very difficult at times. They also spew bloated code, which has a significant negative impact upon page load speed.

It's best to get a good clean editor or to pay for a clean premium editor.

Take the time to learn HTML and CSS. You'll be forced to at some point regardless. Make it a top priority.

~Newbie Shield~
  13. Shannon1ford

Shannon1ford New Member

Yeah will definately do my own HTML since this wont really be a money making site.
    After I learn it all then I can start designing sites for sales.
  14. rvlady

rvlady Member

Could you give me a rundown on this SBI? With all that is available on the internet today, I can't see trying to stress over building my own website when they have so many templates and site-builders. Would you be willing to tell me more about SBI? I saw a price at 299 I think it was, high for me, but I don't the sale price they are offering. Is SBI any sort of MLM? I don't want to deal with that. I just want to do my own work and not worry about pushing others to join etc.
  15. hetherz20

hetherz20 New Member

web designing can also be done using website builder which makes the task simpler
  16. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi rvlady,
    Sure, I can give you the rundown on SBI. I did write a few expansive posts in the SBI (Site Build It) section of the forum if you want to check them out. That will give you a good idea of what SBI is all about in regard to the purpose of using their program to build a niche website (and what that means!). ;)

The links to them are as follows...
    I think that will give you a good general idea of why a person would choose to use SBI (even if it does seem a bit pricey at first).

In a nutshell, SBI is a business building package that enables anyone from novice to experienced webmaster to build an online business based on the niche website foundation (content rich website about a particular theme or topic). The annual fee of $299 includes pretty much everything you need from domain, hosting, brainstorming and keyword tools, state of the art site designer (without needing to learn code), step by step written and video guide to take you through the entire business building process from start to finish, and a private members forum for SBI users to help each other out (invaluable).

There's more, but that's the basics that most people would kind of understand even if they weren't an old hand at web building.

As for me, I've been using SBI for 6 years now and have several sites. It's well worth the price. SBI does have an affiliate program, but it's not MLM. You don't have to promote SBI to be an SBI user. You do your own thing. I have a website about chocolate candy, one about intestinal parasites, and a few others. You use their program to build a business about a subject that is of interest to YOU and that YOU know about. That's the beauty of it.

If you end up completely sold on the business building program and want to help other people find success online (like I am) that's entirely up to you. You can make some additional commissions/income that way, but it's definitely not necessary. The vast majority of my online income comes from my theme based websites, but I consider any commissions I make helping other people discover SBI to be sweet icing on the cake. ;)

If $299 is completely out of reach for you, let me know. There is no "special sale" running at the moment, but I do happen to have a "spare" unused SBI package (one full year) that I can make available to you at a greatly reduced price.

Okay, I didn't mean to be so long winded. I hope that answers some of your questions. If you have more, feel free to ask. Be as specific as possible so that I can give you the best answers.

Blessings,
    Angie
  17. rvlady

rvlady Member

Hello Angie and thank you for writing me, and including all those helpful details about SBI. I would be interested in your package. I had one more question, for now;) and that is, after the first year would my price go back up to the $299 per year? Also, I saw something about monthly payment but I can't be sure that was for SBI since I have read about so many programs lately. Does SBI allow a person to pay by the month, maybe auto withdrawal or something?

Ok, that was 2 questions but again, I appreciate your help. I am going to go look at the links you sent me today if I can. As soon as possible though, if not today:)

God bless your day! Denise

18. rvlady

rvlady Member

During Spring Term at our local college, I am taking a class that includes html and css just because I want to learn something about it. I plan to use a sitebuilder but for me, I think it will be neat to finally know about those "languages" so I can make changes that are allowed (I'm sure some templates won't allow you to make your own changes). Mostly out of curiosity about "how things work" like, how do you make that font blue etc:)

By the way Hetherz20, which site builder were you talking about, any in particular? I am looking around now for something:) denise
  19. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Denise,

Yes, the annual fee is $299, so it would go back to that upon your one year renewal (which you would pay SBI directly) if you picked up that spare package of mine at a discount. And also yes to the second question. You can pay monthly to SBI, but it is $29.95 per month which can be automatically charged to your card. Some people prefer this, but I'm all for savings, so I prefer to pay annually and save that extra $60 bucks! :p

Because I have several SBI sites, I have the renewals scattered out across the year so I'm not paying for all of them in one month. It makes it easier for me that way. I make way more from the sites than the cost of renewals of course, but still, I prefer to manage my budget that way.

Learning coding isn't necessary, but I have learned a fair bit over the years too, though I still feel like quite a novice in that area. ;) Some people love that kind of thing, so you might end up being one of them! Who knows?

You can use the contact form on my Angie Berg site if you want to discuss that spare site I mentioned, but otherwise feel free to ask more questions here. I'm happy to help.

Blessings,
    Angie
  20. rvlady

rvlady Member

Is it 299 yearly per site Angie? I am hoping not but yet you said that you earned way more than that. I hope you find the message I wrote you on your profile as well, Denise PS I will send you a message on your website to talk about purchasing the package from you.