New with question re wholesalers!

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Butterfli, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Butterfli

Butterfli New Member

Hi all. My name is Caryn and I'm currently researching starting up an eBay business. Does anyone know how I can find legit wholesale distributors that aren't scams?? Every time I find one, I Google it and find nothing but bad reviews. How do I know who's legit and who's not?? thanks!
  2. westfam11

westfam11 Member

Butterfli: Hi all. My name is Caryn and I'm currently researching starting up an eBay business. Does anyone know how I can find legit wholesale distributors that aren't scams?? Every time I find one, I Google it and find nothing but bad reviews. How do I know who's legit and who's not?? thanks!
    A good place to start is mysilentteam.com (not an affiliate link) and join the newsletter. Jim Cockrum is an expert on e-bay and he gives out lots of f.r.e.e. info.

Hope that helps.

Becky
  3. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Hello and welcome.... it is really hard to make money on Ebay with dropshippers because of all the competition...

What I would encourage you to do is take some of the dropshipper products and do a search on Ebay for them to see what they are actually selling for.... before you go too far into it.

I tried it several years ago and lost money as it costs to list on Ebay but then I found a local furniture place that let me market their furniture online for them and they dropship for me.... and later got ahold of several thousand old records that I am selling on Ebay now - so you are looking at a great way to make money if you can find the right avenues...[​IMG]
  4. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

Try contacting Importers =].

Wholesalers are bad for eBay.

You will need a Registered Sales Business.

(quick steps)

Step One: Find your product(s) for your niche. (something low ticket to start)

Step Two: If the product is currently being sold on eBay... See how much you can make off a product.. If they are going for $15 each then you know you need to have less expense in them from your importer. Also see how many are being sold monthly.. To see how quickly you will be able to move them.

If they are not on Ebay, make a note for later.

Step Three: Locate Importer/Exporters for your product. (I'm not going to go into how to do this... But it can be researched)

When talking to the importer/exporter be sure to be formal. You are a real business and need to conduct as one.

Importers will have a minimum order that you must place to do business with them. If the product in on eBay, negotiate a price / quantity that will make you money.

Exporters are more confusing because then YOU need to be the importer... Very profitable if you can move that quantity =].

If the product is not on eBay ask the importer for the distributor and contact them to negotiate a trial order. This will be a smaller quantity at a higher price.

Say something like. "Mr. /Ms. X, I am interested in your product and I really feel like I can move it. However, I am a smaller business and want to make sure I can be profitable selling the product before I place a larger order".

Many times they are willing to work with you.

There will be much more to do and much more work involved obviously... But they would be some good starting steps to grabbing a product that could make a little more money for you and make it worth your while.

If you continue to pursue this I recommend getting Skip McGraths books. He is a master of eBay [​IMG].

Good luck.

Matt
  5. Butterfli

Butterfli New Member

Thank you so much! I've already purchased a couple books to help me get started...I'm excited but also already overwhelmed, lol.
  6. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

Butterfli: I'm excited but also already overwhelmed,
    That means you are on the right track!

Just be sure to create a good business plan you can follow.

Matt
  7. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Butterfli: I'm excited but also already overwhelmed, lol.
    aww don't worry - just means you are on the right track - we were all there and before you know it, the cobwebs will start to fade and the light will start shining through. [​IMG]