Newb needs help!

Discussion in 'Work at Home Dads' started by eyeman78, Oct 15, 2009.

1. eyeman78

eyeman78 New Member

Hi all,

New work at home dad here from New Jersey. Got laid off from my job as a systems architect a little under a month ago. They tell me it was because of cutbacks but I suspect it is because a wife with severe health issues along with 2 kids who have some other needs at the doctor.

Question for you all....where do I start? I have done the oDesk thing and surfed Craigslist till I am glossy eyed at 3 in the morning looking for freelance work. I have one heck of a background in all Microsoft products and Linux. Problem is that absolutely no one is hiring in my area.

I need to find some way to make some income besides my unemployment which will run out in about 6 months I assume. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate. Keep in mind that I have zero (o) capital to start up with.

Thanks in advance,

Corey
  2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Welcome Corey... and I am guessing if you browse around here and look at websites you have already seen there is a ton of information around.[​IMG]

Here is a general thread on affiliate marketing to help you better understand how that works and what one can do with it... it may help you get a handle on some of the things we do here....

click here ----> What IS Affiliate Marketing??
  3. ACB123

ACB123 New Member

Well, you sound like you have a pretty good background. Have you considered striking out, at least part time, on your own? The freelancing stuff is good but what I'm talking about is developing and marketing an information product that you can promote within your industry? Something maybe you always thought you could use but could never find.

Would love to help you brainstorm some ideas if you want. Possibly this could be a great opportunity for you.
  4. yasser

yasser New Member

in my opinion, you can start selling on ebay. i have been making decent income selling on ebay for 5 years now.
  5. ongtina

ongtina New Member

Since you have knowledge on micro.. but no job offers, try blogging on it. You can blog free and earn from blogging with adsense and amazon. You can also create a free website and use your knowledge to write on products and earn from amazon, no need to invest.
  6. pcwork

pcwork New Member

There are many web hosting companies that hire remote tech support people.
  7. timbonderud

timbonderud New Member

eyeman78
    Hi , i hope you have something that you found that works out well for you with little investment, take care.
  8. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Welcome Corey,

I would encourage you to get started in some sort of an online network marketing opportunity and find a great mentor.

If you have to find a job in order to support you financially for now, then do it but part time build a NM business. There are many good ones online to choose from.

Tal