Newbie created website, guidance to increase traffic, please!!!

Discussion in 'Website Promotion' started by ercesar, Aug 24, 2010.

1. ercesar

ercesar New Member

Hi all,
    My name is Cesar and I am new on this forum.

I read lots of post on this forum about increasing traffic and making money on-line, but affiliates programs don't seem to be the right thing for me as it does not seem honest.

I am trying to get money from add sense, as I think it is a decent way to get money as many of us know you need a very high traffic in the website to make at least some reasonable money.

The website is been out for about a month and I know its not much time, but at the moment I could only get users by sending emails to friends and facebook contacts, and I did not get many.

At the moment I have used the following:
    *URL submision to lots of search engines.
    *Add Words (use it wrongly and lose money, and no new users)
    *Send emails to friends and contacts.
    *Facebook contacts.
    *Getting articles from ezinearticles and currently creating my own articles(but not finished).

The website is aim to help, make people feel better about themselves and entertain them.

I work everyday on the web to see how can I improve it and bring traffic to it, but really it is frustrating.

I worked hard on the website and I am doing it with the best of the intentions, I do want to think that I could help and entertain people with my web, by just letting them express themselves.

My question is that I would like to get any advise from any of you on how to improve my website, and how to bring more people to my website, please give me clear explanation with links where possible as I am a newbie.

If your find the website interesting, feel free to register and use it. ( I would recommend using an anonymous user name, it gives even more freedom).

Kind Regards to all.

Thanks in advance for the advise.
  2. Yeoch

Yeoch Member

Hi Cesar,

I'm not that good at web expertise but I wish to say the below.

May I suggest that you make your signature "click-able" - to bring people to your website? I got to copy it and paste it to my web browser in order to go to your website. Make it click-able.

Nice and simple website you have. I copied the below from one of the paragraphs there.

"Note: Content of the website will be constanly added, if you want to write an article, please contact us. To use our forum please create an account (check your span folder) and start venting your feelings!!"

Please change the 'constanly' to 'constantly' and 'check your span folder' to 'spam folder'. Wrong spelling may deter people coming to your website.

You may have to put some graphics or use some color scheme (rather than all white) there.

Bye
  3. yahia

yahia Member

I have no idea where did you get that judgement on affiliate marketing as dishonest. This is an insult man, and indicates deep ignorance.

Affiliate marketing is match making. Connect the buyer with the seller and get commission. That's it, What's dishonest here? Just do it honestly and it will be "honest". By posting Adsense ads on your site you are affiliating with Google, why is this one honest?

About your website, you are getting articles from article directories in a dishonest way. Where are the names of the authors? This one could get you in real trouble.

You are using Joomla, which is fine and I love it, but it's not for newbies. You want to get organic traffic and make money, then stick to wordpress. Joomla is not for newcomers.

Now about the traffic: You did only one thing right by sending to your friends by email and on facebook.

Your website is in Google's index. Good. Now what keywords are you traying to show up for in the search results? Make a small list of those.

Then start using these keywords in the titles of the pages, header (h1 and h2 tags) and in the urls.

From any page on your website you should have at least one link to every page anchored in the main keyword of that page you are pointing to.

You are using articles all wrong. You can get banned by Google if caught doing what you are doing. Adsense is to be used on websites that have your own original contents if you are going to buy traffic, like you did with Adwords. If you don't have your own content, don't buy traffic.

The proper use of article is that YOU write them and publish them on article directories linking to your website, not the other way around as you are doing.

Also build squidoo lenses and hubpages around each keyword and link back to your web pages individually from your lens and hubpage anchoring the link to the corresponding keyword.

One more: Put a clickable link to your website in your signature in forums related to self improvement. Participate positively in the discussions and be active. Some are do follow and some are not, but it doesn't matter now as you're looking for direct traffic. Worry about it later.

I think this is enough for now. If you have any more questions this forum is to answer them, thanks to Vishal. Just don't insult others in your first post without knowing what you are talking about.
  4. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Wow - Yahia gave you very excellent advice and if you follow all the stuff on there - you will be busy for awhile AND get traffic.

And I TOTALLY agree on the affiliate marketing - it is simply the online term for 'selling another man's products'... if you ever come up with a product to market online you will be hecka glad for every affiliate marketer that wants to promote your product for a small piece of the pie.[​IMG]
  5. davidw

davidw New Member

Yahia, that's an excellent post on all points!

ercesar, stick to getting pertinent original content posted on your site and you'll get the traffic - "If you build it they will come."
  6. jbconsul

jbconsul New Member

Affiliate marketing is a very honest and ethical way to make money online.

It sounds like your expectations are a little unrealistic and your approach needs to be modified. Understand that making money online is not overnight. It takes time.

First of all you need to write your own articles. Don't copy other peoples articles. This could not only get you in a world of trouble, but your reputation in the online community will suffer. Suck it up and write at least one article a day for the next two months. Publish on at least 5 or 6 directories each day. Some recommend writing and publishing 100 articles in 30 days, but that's a killer. Don't put the exact article on the directories, but change them slightly so they aren't duplicate copies.

Post on 3 or 4 forums each day if you have something of value to add to the conversation. If not, just read what others are saying and learn from them

Don't get in a hurry. Take your time to learn and think about building a business not just making a sale.
  7. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

I really believe that paying for traffic has the best and fastest results then FREE advertising. If you do go with paid advertising, I would encourage you to learn more and more about pay per click.
  8. yahia

yahia Member

talfighel: I really believe that paying for traffic has the best and fastest results then FREE advertising. If you do go with paid advertising, I would encourage you to learn more and more about pay per click.
    True, except in our case here. If you buy traffic to sites with only republished articles and adsense you are looking at a being "banned for life" from having another Google Adsense account.

jbconsul That's an excellent strategy. One drawback though; for Google it doesn't look natural, especially if you are going to stop after 30 days.
  9. wrlawrence

wrlawrence New Member

I love these post because you get so many great ideas from all the opinions. I'm cheap and build my business on a shoe string budget. So I learned how to get lots of free traffic to my site by writting alot of keyword focus content pages that wows my visitors and getting alot of back links to my site. It takes time to build a business. I did not start making money with adsense until I had 100 pages built & a couple hundred backlinks.
  10. Tess_T

Tess_T New Member

Another reason you do not want to use other people's articles from article directories on your website - besides stealing them since you publish them without leaving the author information intact - is that you are using content on your site that is not original.

Search engines LOVE content that is unique and offers REAL value to the reader. This is why you want to put YOUR OWN articles on your site first, wait for them to get indexed, then submit them to the article directories. This way, you are helping your own site rank higher instead of contributing to the already high page rank of many top article directories.

Find "buying" keywords that aren't overly competitive, optimize your site well, and create some quality backlinks. With a little work and time, you'll do well as long as you keep the needs of your visitors in mind over how much money you can make[​IMG]
  11. Yeoch

Yeoch Member

Just this week alon, there are a few gurus claiming 'traffic siphon', 'zero down traffic blueprint' and 'unstoppable traffic', and many affiliates are busy promoting them. But, I think Yahia's advice given above are solid and free.
  12. Taty2010

Taty2010 New Member

I am a major newbie because I just built a website a week ago. I already got close to 100 unique visitors without telling any of my friends about my website yet. Here are some things that I did.

1. I have a youtube channel. I only have 630 subscribers. All I did was add my link to my channel and mention that I have a website without actually asking people to visit it. I get about 20 visits a fay from that link (not alot but exciting for someone who is a newbie.)

2. I ranked high for some uncompetitive keywords. (they are barely every searched but if you rank high in alot the little number add up).
    Those r just some things I think weren't mentioned. I'm in the same boat as you though so good luck.
  13. Taty2010

Taty2010 New Member

Oh yeah and I agree with Tess T about content. Search engines don't like duplicate content. This will actually hurt you in your google ranking. (Please correct me if I'm wrong but that is what I read in a couple of books) Using original content I think was what help me rank higher in google. There really are no shortcuts. I've been writing for hours the last couple of weeks and I know that I am only beginning.

The ONLY way to be successful with a website is to give people something they can't find anywhere else.
  14. ellinas

ellinas New Member

I was surprised reading such reference about affiliate marketing.
    Usually, this is the first choice for the newcomers. Certainly, if somebody taught you the RIGHT WAY, you can start from Adsense, but without knowing how to bring tons of traffic to your page, it couldn't be considered as a money maker.
  15. Ron S

Ron S New Member

The first thing to do is to understand How Does a Search Engine Find Your Website.

You can opt for paid results or Organic Results.

Paid results can get your Web site to rank higher for a specific keyword phrase (because you've paid to be high in the results)

For Organic or so called Natural Search Results, you need to do the following:-

1. KEYWORD OPTIMIZATION
    2. LINK BUILDING
    3. META TAG
    4. IMAGE ALT TAGS
    5. SITE MAP
    6. SOCIAL NETWORKING
    7. SOCIAL BOOKMARKING
    8. PARTICIPATE ACTIVELY IN ONLINE FORUMS
    9. TEST YOUR WEBSITE FOR CROSS BROWSER COMPATIBILITY
    10. Submit URL

Remember: Learning is essential if you want to success in your online business.