Nich or Neesh

Discussion in 'Casual Chat' started by karma, Sep 24, 2008.

1. karma New Member

I was listening to a marketing conference call the other night and heard an American marketer pronounce the word 'Niche' as [Nitch]. This may sound stupid or neurotic but i pronounce it '[Neesh]'.

Its the first time i heard an American say the word so i was wondering if all Americans pronounce it Nitch?
  2. Sonni New Member

You might be wasting your time wondering about this. You could spend that time working on your niche or neesh.
    Sonni
  3. mountainmom5 Gold Member

I am an American and have heard it pronounced both ways so I guess they must both be right.[IMG]

Maybe we could start a new style and start pronouncing it 'neeshay' - lol
  4. karma New Member

Thanks Mountainmom5, i can sleep tonight. I tend to be slightly obsessive compulsive about small things.[IMG]
  5. MamAtWork New Member

I don't blame you in the slightest Karma. Niche is one of those that bug me too, especially being a Brit (where were exclusively say neesh) to hearing it any which way in the US where I now live.
  6. Hemjoe New Member

I have heard it both lol, its just one of those things... i am a "neesh" person myself [IMG]
  7. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Karma,

That one annoys me on occasion as well. Technically it's pronounced "neesh" but I prefer to say "nitch" being that I am from the USA.

I'd vote for both as being valid.

~Newbie Shield~
  8. fatman New Member

I always say "nitch"....finding a good niche can make you rich. [IMG]
  9. MamAtWork New Member

The only thing that a good nitch needs is a good scratch [IMG]

Shockingly, dictionary.com (an American site) calls it nitch. I wonder what a UK dictionary would have it as.
  10. capadrop New Member

11. karma New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Im obviously not alone here.

According to the 'Collins English Dictionary' its pronounced neesh. [IMG]
  12. Phil Stones New Member

The Oxford English Dictionary has it pronounced as Neesh!!!!