perks and drawbacks of working at home

Discussion in 'Work at Home Moms' started by karrydee, Oct 27, 2010.

1. karrydee

karrydee New Member

i've been a freelance online writer for 3 years now. i think it's great but a lot of times i get bored. i wonder if i should get back to working in an office, or is working at home really better?

what are the advantages and disadvantages of working at home in the internet?

thanks in advance for your replies

2. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

Well, I think it depends. It might be healthy for you to go out there and get a job - it might break up the monotany of freelance writing. Also, there are benefits of a regular job like health insurance that you would have to pay extra for working at home. You could always try a regular job out for a while and if you don't like it, return to freelance writing - you could always do a little bit of freelance writing in your free time. I'd also look at how much money you will earn doing freelance writing vs returning to the workforce.

3. JackieM293

JackieM293 Member

Their are so many other (more interesting) sources of inspiration than the 9 till 5 environment.

I agree that working from home can get very lonely but personally I would take that over office politics, ego's and all of the other difficulties associated with the office environment any day.

How about seeking inspiration from your locale and attending talks, debates, networking events etc. So much more fun and flexible than a job!

J

4. catevanne

catevanne New Member

karrydee
    I also work as a writer at home, I love it, but need to make more money-that's the drawback-do you have any leads I could follow to get more jobs?
    One of the best things about home is working your own schedule and no one looking over your shoulder- but I get bored sometime too- especially cuz we live out in the country...but I still wouldn't go back to an office with all the games they play...

5. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Working at home and making a full time income has a lot of benefits. There is no boss around. You take a break when ever you feel like it. You are your own boss.

The negative thing is that you are pretty much by yourself at home and are not around other people which sometimes is a little boring.

Tal

6. catevanne

catevanne New Member

yes, that's all true- but I think being your own boss makes you a stronger person and that really pays off ...

7. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Well-Known Member

catevanne: I think being your own boss makes you a stronger person and that really pays off
    That's a fact. As to any drawbacks compared to a job. Umm, shall we say NONE!

Of course if one is engaged in a business that is not even structured for great prosperity, ideally in a short period of time, then they may think otherwise.

8. weebitty

weebitty Member

Maybe you should look into doing something besides the writing?? A job outside the home is ok if you could even get one nowadays? Health insurance with a job maybe if they even offer it anymore you are going to pay for some of the cost of it even on a job.

If you join some other activities outside the home. Go bowling or something, gardening clubs, chess clubs, there are other things besides a job if social factor is all you are concerned with. Get into something else online besides writing? Diversify your income. Just my two cents [​IMG]

9. Justine

Justine New Member

Yes, lack of people is the main drawback... but it all depends.
    From my own experience I know that to develop an online business it needs some sacrifice at the beginning [​IMG] Long hours of learning but also getting to know the right people. Later on when the income grows and skills and level of authority, there are so many opportunities to meet other people, to travel without the need to ask the boss or use your holiday time[​IMG]
    But I also agree, that even at the beginning it is a great idea to join some outside home activities...

10. neveenapink

neveenapink New Member

Pros
    I DEFINITELY think working at home is better because you can spend more time with family. If you get bored then how about using some of the extra time you have traveling. When i got bored I started traveling more. I live in georgia and travel to New Jersey, Nevada, California, Florida more than a hand full each a year. That is what i love about working at home. I am always there for the little ones when they need me and I can travel til my heart desire as long as I bring the laptop.

Cons
    I gained like 20 pounds when i first started lol. After i lost it i had to watch that! Sitting around can definitely add inches to the midsection if your not careful but luckily since I had much time to spare i could easily hit the gym, fix it and watch it thereafter. [​IMG] yah me

11. simpleflair

simpleflair New Member

I love working from home. There's nothing better than having the shortest commute in the morning when most people are stuck on the crowded trains or buses. The only drawback is that I miss office gossips.

12. Incomegenerator

Incomegenerator New Member

Personally I think one of the advantages is that you dont have a boss breathing down your back, telling you what you can and cannot do. The disadvantage is you have to probably work harder for yourself than for someone else because your building your own wealth not someone elses. However the rewards are far greater. I can go on and on of the advantages, more than disadvantages.

13. mreyn

mreyn New Member

I love working from home. I'm there for my family at all times which is exactly how I wanted it. The only drawback I'd have to say is, I find myself going back to the computer every free chance I get every day,lol. I guess I love what I do.

14. Jacq1292

Jacq1292 Member

I love working at home and would not ever (by the grace of God) try to find a job outside. I've been home for 12 years and am completely spoiled. Not great for building a social network and you miss the day to day conversation with others (especially since I am not married), but in the long run, I'd take home over a commute any day. I dress very casually (not PJs) and don't have to put on panty hose or heels every day like I did when I worked for a law office or spend money at the dry cleaners.

15. CatherineK

CatherineK Member

Good points above. Is there anyway you can do both? As a writer perhaps this allows you to do that. Part time in each.