Picking a Domain Name

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by molinatore, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Robin,

I'm not offended and I accept your apology though it wasn't necessary but thanx all the same [​IMG]

~Newbie Shield~

2. computerincome

computerincome New Member

There's plenty of .ws names still left. And if you have a .ws domain name you can also earn on referrals. Works excellent for me.

3. twnuck

twnuck New Member

My personal preference is no more than three or four syllables.

"workathomenow"
    "workathome"
    "loseweightnow"
    "getfit"

People tend to remember in groups of 3's or 4's which is what our phone numbers are divided in. The same principle applies to domain names.

Todd

4. Empowered

Empowered New Member

Ideally speaking, your domain name should fit your business, not be too long, include some key words, and end preferably with a ".com" extension. For example, if you have a pet business then some examples of domain names could be: petsrus.com, pet4you.com, or pets4everyone.com. Some bad ideas are: petsareus.com, too long and visually confusing. However, it may actually work. Just take your time in choosing one and think about your goals. What do you want your domain name to accomplish? Will your domain name have an associated website? Remember, once you pick a domain name, it's yours and you have to continue to pay for it until you get another one. Other common extesions are .net, .biz, etc. However, .com is more common for businesses and most familiar. People use other extesnions because the .com extension may no longer be available. Hope this helps.

5. Ballistic

Ballistic New Member

It is interesting to note.... work-at-home-forum.com..... (look at the address bar above) sometimes dashes (although cumbersome) are liked by the search engines!

6. RobertRam

RobertRam New Member

robinincarolina: am in a very broad niche as well but have figured out how to break it down and have purchased a domain name for each niche. I think thats what Newbie means.

Like instead of fruit markets, try red grapes from california, juicy apples from washington, ripe peaches from georgia, etc... and build around each one.

Correct me if I am wrong Newbie Shields.
    Hi-

I've been working with domain names for about 13 yrs now as a reseller,broker and investor and the most basic advice is to stay dot com if possible ( dot org is emerging) and short or catchy. If you need to ask me any questions just PM me.

Thanks
    R

7. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

twnuck: People tend to remember in groups of 3's or 4's which is what our phone numbers are divided in. The same principle applies to domain names.
    Hi twnuck,

Astute observation. I'll keep that in mind when choosing a domain name, thanx.

~Newbie Shield~

8. SheilaOcean

SheilaOcean New Member

make the domain name as short and sweet as you can, but at the same time try to get your main keyword at the beginning of it...

I usually go w/ more "brand name" type domains, instead of the entire thing being your keyword only, but I know google loves it when the MAIN keyword is the actual domain name...like

www.cat-scratchers.com they love that if your keyword is cat scratchers...be sure to put that in your "title" of the page as well...

up to you though... [​IMG]

Sheila

9. vinnymatrix

vinnymatrix Guest

If your still picking a domain and obviously you cant find the one your looking for because of the .com domains are running out.. You should really look into getting a .ws domain .ws=website as .com=commercial. There are still alot of .ws domains to register for and plus the company called GDI offers a great affiliate program to earn a income online, both weekly and monthly residual. Check out my Sig!

Vinny

10. ucoxganteng

ucoxganteng New Member

i love use free domain name. for keyword i use google keyword tools 100% work for me

11. carterstory

carterstory New Member

Do search engines like .ws or do they treat them like the other discount names like .biz, or .tv. etc, because they are prone to being full of spammers.

12. writepro

writepro New Member

tommykrank: Finally, be sure not to "miscoordinate" words. e.g. whoreadsblogs.com (whoReadsBlogs.com) mayb be mistaken for WhoreAdsBlogs.com.
    LOL! I've done something like that inadvertently when I bought growbackhair.info, thinking it was about making hair grow back -- and realizing only too late that it could be read as growing hair on ones back! Eeek!

I'm a bit more careful now.

Another comment -- Domain names can be had for less than 10 bucks, so my approach is -- if in doubt, buy it -- even if you don't use it right away. If it's a good one, you will eventually, and at that point, it has acquired a bit of "age" -- which I've heard is a good thing. Also, that way it's yours. If you wait, someone else might get it in the meantime.

Elisabeth

13. Ron S

Ron S New Member

Think of a domain names that are:

* catchy, memorable,

* not easily confused,

* hard to misspell,

* related to the core of the business,

* with appropriate sounding to the core of your business.

14. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Think of giving out your web address over the phone.
    Just2EZ.com is a bear to tell someone, easy if you see it.

As for .WS meaning "website", it stands for Western Samoa.
    Stick to dot com if you want people to remember you.

15. weblogger

weblogger New Member

for me the domain name should be relevant, make sense, brandable, if possible small... that's it and no other complexities....

16. mreese601

mreese601 Member

What are you trying to do? Is the first question! If you looking to do niche marketing then you want to fine a domain name that match what keyword are being search for. But if you looking to build a brand name look for keywords that easy to remember.

17. realworldmyth

realworldmyth New Member

You can make your domain name the same as your first and last name. That is, if your goal is to develop a personal brand. Or if your name is difficult to remember, difficult to spell, or just difficult for visitors to type, then go with a brand name. Make your brand name simple, easy to remember, and concise. No dashes in the domain name, either.

Just my 2 cents!

18. In picking a domain name, it is best if you choose your brand. Whether it is your name, product or service; always choose your brand.

Here is an example: You want to create a site about things that you are passionate with then you can use "PassionOfChristianCole.com" or if you're into selling diet supplements then you can use "WeightLoss.com".

You need to understand that your domain should represent whatever brand you want to promote.