Please give me a quick method to potty train my 2 years old!

Discussion in 'Raising Kids' started by wealthymom36, Sep 20, 2006.

1. imapoopyhead

imapoopyhead New Member

My son is turning 3 in january, and he just this month decided that it was time to be potty trained. You can try everything, but until their ready, they won't do it. I bought my son a "potty watch" off ebay, he really liked it. It has a timer in it for 15, 30, 60 or 90 minutes. It'll play a little tune to let the child know that its potty time [​IMG]

2. kimtarr

kimtarr New Member

I have 3 kids. A Boy and twin girls. I PUSHED my son to be potty trained @ 2 years old...because that is when my twins were coming. I certainly didn't want 3 kids in diapers!

Well, My son refused to poop on the potty until he was almost 5! He got the peeing down @ 31/2, but I still had to put a pull up on him, in the even he would poop.

My twin girls were 2 1/2 when they were 100% potty trained. I did not push them at all!

I have heard boys are harder to potty train anyway. But, my thought is don't push...they will get it eventually....and I know that is hard to accept (TRUST ME, I have been there). But, that is my opinion.

3. Rosie1

Rosie1 New Member

I guess I'll add my 2 cents..lol! My son was not interested AT ALL in the potty. No matter how many potty books i bought home..lol! I gave my self a 3 day weekend. And whatever you do NEVER GIVE IN..lol! My will is stronger is what I say. I put the date on the calender and talked about it consitantly, let him pick out his big-boy underwear, and waited till that Friday.
    He pooped his pants once-and never again. I threatened time outs. that may sound awful but it worked. He did have accidents here and there but mainly because he didnt want to have to stop and go when he felt the urge. My son was not yet 2 and 1/2 when i trained him. Good Luck all![​IMG]

4. awesomeincome

awesomeincome New Member

I have 2 boys and my elder son was potty trained when he was only 2 years old but my younger son not until 3 years old. It was hard for me that time with my younger son as the child care in which we put him in will not accept not until children are potty trained. But it seems when they are already ready it will just go in time.

5. Louidam1

Louidam1 New Member

What I did with my now 3 year old is sit her potty in front of the tv and made her sit on it with no diaper on. She had a couple of accidents on the floor but she became potty trained after awhile.

6. jaynen

jaynen New Member

plant, cultivate, harvest... not plant-harvest... I know kids who wet the bed until like 9; those were probably the same ones, wearing huggies at 4. relax, maybe she's not as quick to catch-on as you. Until like 4 I wouldn't sweat it... I guess it's easy for me to say, I'm not the one who has to change the diapers [​IMG]

7. jaynen

jaynen New Member

That is hilarious!

8. solomon

solomon New Member

I have a 31/2 year old son that i am trying to potty train. I put my son in underwear and told him that now he is a big he has to go in the potty. So what i did is that wherever my son went in the house i took the potty with me. I would go on the potty and so would my 15 month yr old daughter. When it was his turn i would help him pull down his underwear and i would say to him that this is where big boys go potty. He would stand and touch his pee pee than tell me that it doesn't work. So i don't know if its worth doing what i doing . It seems like a struggle to even be interested even my daughter likes to sit on the potty.He watches me and my husband use the potty so i don't know what to do? I don't want to pressure him but his preschool requires him to be fully potty trained. This should be a simple thing to do. Anyone have any suggestions.

9. Julsy

Julsy New Member

What I did was strip my kids nekkid whenever we were home! I assure you "most" kids do NOT like to pee on themselves and until they even realize that by peeing, it will run down their legs, they don't even see the need to "go potty"! It worked for me. There will be accidents on the floor and you will have to wipe them down with a soapy rag or stick them in the tub a lot, but this is my theory for the fastest way to teach them, although it still may take a week or so depending on how much time you spent with them naked sitting at home. You may want to pick up some carpet cleaner as well, LOL!

10. bdkfreedom

bdkfreedom New Member

haha the above post by Julsy seems to make sense! I think the biggest thing is to remember to praise the good and ignore the accidents! treats afterwards are always a good incentive...

11. baby_femme

baby_femme New Member

12. coffee

coffee New Member

My little guy is almost 18 months and I am looking into potty training. Thanks for the great tips.

13. BizzySusan

BizzySusan New Member

First off, don't listen to your mom! ha. If I listened to my mom...oye. All kids are different and will learn the potty at their own time. It is my belief that the child will let you know when he/she is ready and things will fall into place. My daughter is almost 3 and isn't potty trained and that's ok. She shows progress and will continue to do so. Good luck!

14. tamilee

tamilee New Member

My 2 year old will always use the potty if she is naked around the house, but as soon as I stick underwear or a diaper on her she forgets all about the potty. It's so frustrating. Any suggestions?

15. joanpeterson

joanpeterson New Member

coffee: My little guy is almost 18 months and I am looking into potty training
    . Thanks for the great tips.
    Were you successful in potty training your boy yet?

Here are some helpful links.

supernanny potty training

Pampers lets you sign up for a free potty training kit.

Of course, when I go back to my being an infant, most of us were potty trained by a year. That probably was due to the fact that there were no disposable diapers. Thus Mom was really motivated to get out of washing all those diapers!

16. Lauram

Lauram New Member

Hi everyone,

Ha Ha Ha....I had to laugh as my mom also told me I was potty trained by one!! I just don't think they 'remember'!!
    Anyways, my daughter is almost 2 and has had some success with peeing on the potty, but, I'm not pushing her...I've been told they will come into on their own and not to push!
    But, I do have three potties throughout the house, so when she's ready, I'll be ready toooooo!!

17. PEILady

PEILady New Member

I am new here and when I read this, I had to giggle. I had been though this with both of my boys and both were different to train.
    With my oldest, I shifted him to cloth diapers and that was about two weeks and he was totally trained. He is less the two!!
    My youngest was more stubborn. At two, he did not care, but I knew that he was ready. You can tell just by the way that they know they are ready to use the bathroom. Anyhow, this is going to sound horrible, but I bribed him with money. I would give him a quarter for each pee and he got a dollar for the other. He was fully trained without any accidents within the week....I know it sounds so bad, but really, it didn't cost much toward the diapers, wipes, etc. It worked!!!

18. wealthymom36
    well first be patient, and second i would say stay consistent. my 2 1/2 yr old has been trained since b4 she turned 2 because i started very early but slowly. that way it wasnt too much put on her, and i wanted to introduce it before too many other things became more important than the potty.
    you can do it, but everyday is the key. especially since they are so busy getting into everything else. sitting on the potty as a new experience is the last thing they may want to do. so expect the fight and stick with it.

19. cmc49

cmc49 New Member

I used to take my daughter in the bathroom when I had to go pee and then ask her if she wanted to try. She would always try and we would clap if she went. Now her going "poop" was a different story, for some reason she never wanted to do that on the potty so one day I was in there with her and told her that mommy's and daddy's 'poop' was waiting for her 'poop' so they could all play together. She smiled, pooped and that was it.....hahahaha

But always remember you cannot compare one child with another.