Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Discussion in 'Stress Management' started by broadland, Sep 21, 2007.

1. broadland

broadland New Member

One type of stress is increasing in our society. It is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or PTSD. Depending upon the severity of trauma, resultant physical disability if any, resultant bereavement if any, the likelihood of developing PTSD varies.
    Some of the symptoms are:
    anxiety
    fear
    abnormal reaction to daily casual events
    reducing or increasing certain activities in a slightly obsessed way
    insomnia, and
    inability to relate properly with people or places.
    If you experience any three of the above for over 3 months after the event, you need treatment.

2. Izrul

Izrul New Member

Hello Broadland,

What sort of treatment that people with PTSD should take? Is there anyway we can do the treatment by ourselves at home?

3. broadland

broadland New Member

Quoting: IzrulWhat sort of treatment that people with PTSD should take? Is there anyway we can do the treatment by ourselves at home?

At a low level of symptoms, understanding from the family and friends helps.
    I think, the big difference is whether or not there is permanent physical disability. If there is permanent physical disability, PTSD would be more long lived, but easily recognised. Change of work, work, hobbies, "quiet" counseling from loved ones will all help. The more readily the person can get back to a reasonable working life, the more likely he/she will be able to cope with PTSD. I personally never frowned at medium term usage of drugs including SSRIs.
    Where there is no permanent disability, it is difficult to ascertain the level of PTSD and it often goes unrecognised and untreated. So at home if there is awareness of PTSD developing, there is more likelihood of "silent" counseling and similar help.
    What do I mean by "silent " counseling? Most people resent counseling by "unqualified" family members. We used to have strong family.friend help a 100 years ago. Then slowly things changed and "psychotherapy" by recognised professional became the only accepted mode of counseling and therapy. This is often unaffordable and not even necessary in many cases. A near one without making it obvious shows the sympathy without making the PTSD person feel dependent or letting him know that he/she is being helped. It is easier to say this in a forum, but a bit more difficult in practice. If you are attempting to counsel or console a person and the person recognises what you are doing then that's the end of your role. The counselor/comforter must be able to create a relationship which results in the PTSD person seek the counselor/comforter out from the rest of the members of the family/friends and seek help.

4. anne12

anne12 New Member

Hello Friends..........

Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is an emotional illness that usually develops as a result of a terribly frightening, life-threatening, or otherwise highly unsafe experience. PTSD sufferers re-experience the traumatic event or events in some way, tend to avoid places, people, or other things that remind them of the event (avoidance), and are exquisitely sensitive to normal life experiences

Thanks

5. jenni2010

jenni2010 New Member

I work at a sleep lab and i had a patient one night with PTSD and as soon as i walked in he was telling me "i have PSTD, i dont like to be touched, i havent gotten along with nurses and doctors in the past very well" and so on..and as i was hooking him up he was telling me all sorts of crazy things about when he was in the marines (uh i think it was marines) and i remember him saying "i had to push people out of airplanes" he tested my nerves all night and to be honest he really creeped me out! Few days later he faxed in a letter about how great i did with him and how i made him feel comfortable. It really made me think what a horrible thing PTSD must feel like but how they don't mean to come off like they do, they've gone through, well, traumatic situations! It was hands down the best letter i've ever recieved and i still have it [​IMG]