Resisting change - the root cause of stress

Discussion in 'Stress Management' started by Vishal P. Rao, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

We have been having a discussion on the Stress Management forum regarding lifestyle changes to reduce stress and one user pointed out accepting change as one of the ways to reduce stress.

Seriously, if one could start developing this attitude of welcoming change in life, stress and resentment will be a thing of the past. But how to accept change when we have been trying all our lives in trying to build security and permanence?

One could find solace from the fact that nothing in this universe is permanent. Our body is changing every single second, nature around us is changing every moment, everything is changing. Is anything permanent? So isn't it foolish on our part in trying to resist change? Won't it relieve us of a huge burden we we start accepting change?

2. CowgirlRach83

CowgirlRach83 New Member

I totally agree! Things are ALWAYS changing! I have found that the more I embrace change (whether I like it or not!) I function better! Work is smoother, home life is WAY better and I'm a happier and more pleasant person to be around! So, try it! Change is not a bad thing!!! Its what has given us this great nation, freedom and rights as human beings... to be treated as God created us...!

3. westfam11

westfam11 Member

I agree. Change is going to happen whether we want it or not. Why waste all of your energy that you have fighting something that is going to happen anyway?

Save your energy for the things that matter, family, taking care of yourself, moving your business in a positive direction.

So take a deep breath and accept the things you can't change.

It is how you deal with it that makes the difference.

Becky

4. Sonni

Sonni New Member

I agree, if you can't accept change then you're setting yourself up for a fall. Nothing stays the same, change is inevitable. And resistance is futile as the Borg say.
    Sonni

5. superbiz007

superbiz007 New Member

I wonder what changes Obama has in mind.

Super

6. djimelee

djimelee New Member

The only constant in ths world is change, so if u wont try to accept that changes in ur life, then basically it will add up change..so better accept it and view it in a positive way..

jem

7. mediafreak

mediafreak New Member

It is a truth in life that change is inevitable. Accepting changes in life would mean a release from stress of taking control of things. Stress on the other hand is also a universal kind of experience that we cannot live without. Our body is designed with a flight or fight response to combat stress. Therefore, change and stress go hand in hand.

Without accepting change, distress is always at hand.

8. truby

truby New Member

I agree with accepting change but it depend on what type of change it is. This is a very sinful world and some change isn't good for us especially coming from a christian point of view. We are told to not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of our minds Romans 12:2 I agree with changing but not accepting all changes. God can still change your situations when you don't accept what you are given. If you get a serious disease most people will pray and ask God for healing and to change something that has attacked their body.

Truby

9. shmeeko69

shmeeko69 Member

Some things change in life & we as humans don't like to accept that (especially the older we get).
    Anything that challenges our comfort zone is seen as a threat & you'll automatically want to brush it aside.
    Change is inevitable, not always required, but will always happen & If you can't adapt to it & move on, then you won't succeed in whatever you set out to do !

Mark [​IMG]

10. bing

bing New Member

Hi all,

We all know that change is always happening. Let me quote Vishal's words: "...nothing in this universe is permanent".

In my opinion, it is not absolute to say that change is the cause of stress. What actually causes stress are changes that don't go along with our expectations and changes that take away our comfort and security.

Let me cite an example of a good change- salary raise! You will never be stressed by this one.

I don't remember where I got this one, but I love this phrase(I don't remember the exact set or words but the thought is this): Change the things that you don't like and love the things that you can not change.

[​IMG]