Save Time By Concentrating On One Task At A Time!

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by jayorban, Jul 27, 2009.

1. jayorban New Member

This is what wastes a lot of internet-affiliate marketers time and were all guilty of it! We mean to get some work done but all of a sudden were sidetracked by myspace,youtube, or facebook for example.. And our work online suffers because were spending hours getting nothing accomplished when we could be promoting our websites, writing articles, etc... What has helped me stop this is making myself dedicate 3-4 hours a day doing productive work. Don't even open up your facebook or myspace page do one thing at a time and then when you put your work in for the day reward yourself by blowing off some steam and chatting it up with your friends etc... You'll be surprised how much more you can get accomplished in a day try it!
  2. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi jayorban,

I agree - it's easy to get sidetracked!

You offer a good remedy to avoid that - by not visiting the sites.

It's difficult at first but with constant discipline, it can be done over time.

It's the 80/20 rule. Weed out the time-wasters one by one.

~Newbie Shield~
  3. A8ch Gold Member

Newbie Shield: It's difficult at first but with constant discipline, it can be done over time.
    Indeed!

The keyword here is "discipline" and that can be the most difficult behavior for some people to cultivate. But, once you tame the tendency to distraction and learn how to deliberately stay focused on the important tasks, you will see impressive results.

Plus, the satisfaction you experience from getting the job done, is a worthy reward.

Hermas
  4. mountainmom5 Gold Member

jayorban: Don't even open up your facebook or myspace page
    ...or even the forum, for some of us.[IMG]

I was trying to decide what direction to go this morning and where to start so I clicked over here and lo - I get a sound piece of advice....thanks.[IMG]
  5. mjb13815 New Member

I agree with you jayorban about getting sidetracked and sometimes we just make excuses not to do the work. I know I do. I find it easier to write down a list of what I am going to accomplish for that day and do it. Sometimes if the list is too long or the amount of work for a task is more than I expected, then I will just carry it on to the next day rather than not finishing it. Finish each task one by one and then move on. Don't start multiple tasks at once. It starts to get very confusing.
  6. writerros New Member

This is so true - and it's an issue that many online marketers have difficulty with, especially at the beginning.

There just seems to be so much to do that one tends to try and do everything at once - and then you just get overwhelmed and lost.

Doing one job at a time and not going onto the next thing until you've finished is not only more effective, but far more satisfying!

Ros
  7. TshirtFrank New Member

I agree, getting side tracked and off focus is a problem and can turn 2 hours worth of work into 4 hours very easily. I recently created a spread sheet with all of the tasks that I have to complete week in and week out for the next 8 weeks. It is a lot. Each week is stacked full and is challenging to finish. I have found that this has helped me become much more focused and efficient!
  8. Singapoor New Member

mountainmom5: ...or even the forum, for some of us.
    lol, soooo true M5. I've been on here some days and only realized the amount of time I'd been on after my stomach started demanding lunch *giggle*.

It's a good point that we should pay attention to the time robbers. And A8ch makes a really good point that "the satisfaction you experience from getting the job done, is a worthy reward."

Back to work now... time to make the donuts. [IMG]
  9. Newbie Shield Gold Member

PS. Complete at least one thing daily.
  10. Matt Zenittini Silver Member

Newbie Shield: PS. Complete at least one thing daily.
    If I don't feel accomplished at the end of my day I can never sleep at night...
  11. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Matt Zenittini: If I don't feel accomplished at the end of my day I can never sleep at night...
    Hi Matt: No one with any decency ever does. Completing at least one task fully every day really makes a person feel good. At the very least, it helps everyone sleep better - however big or small the task may be. I recommend this practice quite insistently.

~Newbie Shield~
  12. cashbash New Member

Yes, this is actually how I feel as well. I have wasted so much time being distracted. Thanks for the reminder to stay focused.
  13. cdsites17 New Member

jayorban,

I couldn't agree more. I recently joined an online club that suggests the same. You really shouldn't work more than 4 hours on the internet a day because if you do, you have more of a chance in getting burnt out. Four hours of productive time a day is greatly better than getting the same amount done in eight. I currently do not have facebook, myspace, or twitter and I'm not so sure I'm going to join one of them for the simple reason of distraction.

Thanks for the post, keep up the good work everyone.
  14. freedomme New Member

It's very helpful to read about what I'm struggling a bit with at the moment.

However every day I'm making a to-do-list and it helps me to manage the time and accomplish more. [IMG]

Cheers
  15. ACB123 New Member

I agree with Hermas, I'm not the poster child of discipline but the feeling of accomplishing your "to do" list in it's entirety is really gratifying.
  16. namasivayam New Member

Yes i also do agree with you all. Even email is a big disturbance at times. Now i have disciplined myself to complete atleast 3 tasks daily.
  17. shmeeko69 Member

Hi jayorban

Your spot on, It's so easy to get sidetracked in this business, with
    someone telling you of the next best thing.

It is absolutely crucial to stay focused, work smart & try & make your time online, as productive as possible.

Jumping from one task to the next won't help & you may develop a scatter brain mentality, not good in this game.

Mark [IMG]
  18. dahan New Member

It is true that we can easily fail to keep and maintain our focus due to other distractions. Self discipline is essential to keep ourselves focusing in what we are doing.

One task at a time really save our time actually, rather than trying to do multi-tasking at a time. We become more coordinated and organized. Work can be faster and we will be ready to switch to other task that has been written on the to-do-list.
  19. mandrelly New Member

it is very true, there have been, for the most of us, numerous times we could've put more focus on our work but yet have work and activities scheduled so that being sidetracked wont be much a concern, therefore youll be able to level them out without being stressed out