SBI vs OWM

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by namethatcandy, Jan 20, 2011.

1. namethatcandy New Member

hi there,

I am new to this forum, but I have been reading posts on the forum past couple weeks.

I am SAHM with 12-month old son and part time student, I want to make extra income to help for the tuition fee and mortgage. My husband and I think affiliate marketing is the way to go.

First, we found Profit Lance, after reading on this forum, we found OWM and SBI. I am more opt to OWM and SBI. My questions are: should I get OWM or SBI? Or do I need both to start?

thanks

NameThatCandy
  2. happywife Gold Member

Namethatcandy, (cute name) [IMG]

No, you don't need both to start. In fact, I would recommend that you choose only one program to follow and follow it faithfully for several months (minimum) or you'll find you don't do either well.

Personally, I'd say go with SBI because that's what I use myself and know how great it is.

The important thing to understand when comparing OWM and SBI is that they are two completely different types of affiliate marketing. So, you are not comparing apples to apples. It's more like apples to peanuts.

SiteBuildIt (SBI) is a program that is designed to teach you how to build one large theme based content website business around a subject that you either already know and love or have a really strong interest in. They provide you all the tools, domain, hosting, etc., included in the system to do this.

You would be creating an authority site on one niche that over time ranks better and better in the search engines so that you are growing a large base of free traffic when people search for information on your topic.

If I remember correctly, with One Week Marketing (OWM), you are choosing a different niche (subject, product, etc) each week and going through a series of steps like building squidoo lenses, writing articles for directories, setting up blogs, etc., to try to build a spiderweb system of links to build some traffic and make some sales.

I haven't actually used that system, so I can't say if it is worthwhile or not. Some people seem to like it, but I don't know what kind of results that they've actually had in real life.

The only person that I can think of for sure in this particular forum who has used OWM and SBI is Viola (mountainmom5) and she has said that of the two, she prefers SBI for long term success.

In my mind, one of the big benefits of SBI over OWM (of which I believe there are many) is that you are building your own online real estate (your website) as opposed to building real estate for others (squidoo, article directories, etc).

You don't have to worry about your blog being shut down, Squidoo changing their policies, etc. You are building YOUR business instead of THEIRS. I really like that.

I would definitely say to steer clear of Profit Lance, but the bottom line for me is that I have only used SBI successfully so it's the only thing I will recommend without reservation.

One caveat about SBI - You aren't going to make money in a week or a month building a business with SBI. It will probably take you a few months to develop a foundation for your site before you start seeing the money start to trickle in and then build up momentum for an ever growing income.

If you are interested in making money fast - SBI would be a waste of your time. [IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  3. namethatcandy New Member

thanks happywife.

After I read more on this board, I think sbi is really promising.

I have few more questions, SBI said most of their customers websites are the top 1% rank. Is that mean if I did a google search, it will show up on the first page of the search?? And how long have u used SBI? And how much income can you generate each month? (I hope u don't mind I asked. I need some numbers to convince my hubby.)

thanks again
  4. happywife Gold Member

You must be referring to the reference that most SBI sites rank in the top 1% of sites according to their Alexa rankings. Alexa is a system that ranks the popularity of sites, etc. If you download the Alexa toolbar or add it on if you are a firefox browser user, you can see the page rank and alexa ranking of each site you visit.

Basically, there are billions of sites on the internet. If you were to go to google, yahoo, etc., you'll probably find that they are ranked 1, 2, etc. by Alexa as the most popular sites. The lower the number the higher the rank.

When you first start a site, you'll not be ranked at all. When you first are ranked you'll probably find yourself in the top 20 million or so. [IMG] If you build it right, it will rise in the rankings as it becomes more and more popular.

Ultimately, Alexa ranking doesn't really mean anything significant to your income per se, but it's a nice little shot in the arm to know that you are improving.

Generally speaking, though, if a site does rank well with Alexa, it is undoubtedly ranking well for many of its pages in the search results and will show up on the first page of search for many keywords.

I've been using SBI for just over 4 years now. My first year I only averaged about $50 per month, $500 my second, $1500 my third, and $3000 my fourth. I am not unusual although some people do better than that (more quickly) and others take a bit longer.

There are too many variables (niche choice, amount of time you have to devote, etc) to tell someone how much they can make in a specific amount of time.

You can also tell your hubby that SBI has a 90 day full refund policy so that you can try it for 3 months before you have to determine if this is for you and you want to stick with it. [IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  5. mountainmom5 Gold Member

happywife: I've been using SBI for just over 4 years now. My first year I only averaged about $50 per month, $500 my second, $1500 my third, and $3000 my fourth. I am not unusual although some people do better than that (more quickly) and others take a bit longer.
    That excites me as I am in my second year with only one site .... and am at about $500 a month....

You will learn in a few months with SBI what can take you a year or more to learn with most other systems AND you will have a working website to boot. [IMG]

If you google 'emergency survival skills' mine is at number one and two I believe. [IMG]
  6. namethatcandy New Member

happywife, thanks for the #, I think my hubby is convinced, I am going to make him to watch the sbi video. And are you in sbi affiliate program? If you are, I will use you as referral for all your helps.

mountainmom5, thanks for your # too, it really helps to see more than one person doing good. And I just did google search on 'emergency survival skills', and u are on the top. Very impressive!
  7. mountainmom5 Gold Member

namethatcandy: mountainmom5, thanks for your # too, it really helps to see more than one person doing good. And I just did google search on 'emergency survival skills', and u are on the top. Very impressive!
    Thanks - I have other better search terms that I rank well for but that just gives you an idea. [IMG]
  8. mountainmom5 Gold Member

...and if you search 'chocolate candy mall' you will see a very impressive result for one of Angie's sites.[IMG]
  9. mountainmom5 Gold Member

happywife: If I remember correctly, with One Week Marketing (OWM), you are choosing a different niche (subject, product, etc) each week and going through a series of steps like building squidoo lenses, writing articles for directories, setting up blogs, etc., to try to build a spiderweb system of links to build some traffic and make some sales.

I haven't actually used that system, so I can't say if it is worthwhile or not. Some people seem to like it, but I don't know what kind of results that they've actually had in real life.

The only person that I can think of for sure in this particular forum who has used OWM and SBI is Viola (mountainmom5) and she has said that of the two, she prefers SBI for long term success.

In my mind, one of the big benefits of SBI over OWM (of which I believe there are many) is that you are building your own online real estate (your website) as opposed to building real estate for others (squidoo, article directories, etc).
    You nailed it!

I usually only recommend OWM for someone that already HAS a some blogs or especially if they have Squidoo pages out there and they are struggling to get traffic and sales as it will help with that.
  10. happywife Gold Member

namethatcandy: And are you in sbi affiliate program? If you are, I will use you as referral for all your helps.
    Yes, I am. [IMG] It's the SBI link in my signature. That's very sweet of you, and very much appreciated!

You can also email me directly if you or your husband have more specific questions by just using angie (at) one of my sites, or even using the contact form on one of the sites.

mountainmom5: That excites me as I am in my second year with only one site .... and am at about $500 a month....

Good for you! I'd wondered how you were coming along and I'm glad to hear that you are making good progress. It's thrilling that the income grows year by year as you add more fresh content and good quality links.

Blessings,
    Angie
  11. namethatcandy New Member

happywife, my hubby just watched the video on sbi website, he said we should do it. YEAH!!! [IMG] I will order in next few days. And if we had more questions, we will definitely email you. thx again.
  12. namethatcandy New Member

happywife, just want to let you know that I ordered the sbi thu your signature. you should receive commission from it.

I am so excited to start my sbi journey!
  13. mountainmom5 Gold Member

namethatcandy: I am so excited to start my sbi journey!
    woot!woot! [IMG]
  14. happywife Gold Member

Thanks so much! I'm really thrilled for you. Make sure you let me know when you decide on your domain name and get your home page up. I want to be one of your first visitors! [IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  15. namethatcandy New Member

sure, I will let you know. [IMG]
  16. mountainmom5 Gold Member

Hey Angie - do you know if SBI is having any specials this year? I missed the Christmas one and they used to have a Valentines day one...but anything that you know of?
  17. happywife Gold Member

Hi Viola,

I honestly don't know for sure. Last year they discontinued all the specials except for the Christmas one because they started allowing monthly payments. I don't know if that will apply for this year too or not.

BUT, as a 5P affiliate, you have access to the Friends and Family special all year round. It's the buy one get one for $100 special and it is particularly set up for offline promotions (friends and family). [IMG] You'll find it located on the Remote Order Entry Form in the 5P Club (left margin nav bar).

Here's the catch - you can't use it just to order 2 new sites for yourself. The first site has to be for someone else (family member or friend, etc), but you CAN use the second site yourself. I suppose you could sign up your hubby and you "help" him with it. [IMG]

I don't know if you were thinking to get 2 for yourself or split with someone else, or are just wanting to know about the special for others who you are promoting to, but that's how it's set up.

You'll find more details on the remote order form page and also if you click on the link on that page to the Friends and Family Special. All the details are laid out pretty clearly.

So, for now, that's your best bet in taking advantage of a special price until Christmas or we hear otherwise. [IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  18. mountainmom5 Gold Member

19. ThePhoenix New Member

From what I've heard, SBI is definitely a great program. Unfortunately I have not had the chance to use it but there's no doubt it has value.
  20. yahia Member

Viola and Angie, may I interrupt your friendly conversation? [IMG]

With all the respect to SBI and OWM, and to your experience as contributors to this forum, I wouldn't advice namethatcandy to go that way. She has a toddler and she's a PT student, and both SBI and OWM need time to work on them. Half an hour here and there are not going to help. If I were in your shoes namethatcandy and if I can afford it I would go for a method that involves more money investment than time.

But if you can not afford it I would start with OWM, then SBI. With OWM you'd know what works and what doesn't without having to spend any money, then you can take the profitable campaigns and build a one-theme site around it and point all your OWM links to it.

Just a suggestion for the experts Angie and Viola to expand upon, this is not my strength point anymore. I am more into traffic arbitrage with CPA offers now.