Selling a Squidoo Lens

Discussion in 'Squidoo' started by robinincarolina, Mar 10, 2011.

1. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

I have heard that you can sell your lens, well I know you can actually. My question lies in exactly how would you place a value on your lens.

I was recently approached by a competitor, one way more successful than I, with an offer to purchase one of my lens. This set my already overloaded brain to thinking. Is this yet another way to earn money online and is it profitable.

2. JackDProvost

JackDProvost New Member

I was actually just reading something about transferring lenses so this must be true! Do some more research and let us know! [​IMG]

That is an interesting question, I am not sure how you would place a value on your lense.. an idea is to calculate up an estimate of how much you are earning with that lense in a year then sell it for 3/4 the ammount you make in a year.. the reason for this is they will make the income for years to come as to where you are only making a one time commission.

3. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

It is very practical Robin, I am sure - we just need to figure out how to do it, [​IMG]

According to some things I have been reading on selling websites, my main site that I make most of my income off right now, would be worth about fifty grand - and while that seems like a lot of money to someone like us, I wouldn't sell it for less than three times that as I know what the potential is for it.

It feels good to have something powerful like that... that the gurus would LOVE to buy from us ... doesn't it?[​IMG]

4. robinincarolina

Yes it does mountainmom5. Perhaps someone here will stop by with some more information.

5. Rach72

Rach72 New Member

PPG and Tiffany Dow both do lens flipping and I found this http://www.squidoo.com/squidoolensflipping
    (the links in it don't work... but the info is still good)

"Here are the basic steps to a successful Squidoo Lens Flipping
    transfer:

1. Build a quality Squidoo lens. You may flip it right away or after it has built some traffic and income.

2. Advertise and market your lens on your Squidoo lens flipping business.

3. Once an interested buyer contacts you by email, send him your payment information and ask for the buyer's email.

4. After you collect payment, go to your Squidoo dashboard. On the right sidebar under Tools, choose "Transfer a Lens." Select the lens you want to transfer, enter your buyer's email and a comment. Then choose "Send."

5. Once the buyer accepts the transfer from his email, the lens will move from your dashboard to his."

As for value? That is based on income and ranking.

Hope that helps....

6. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Yes, this could be another way to make more money online.

If that person offered you a good amount of money, you can go ahead and sell it. But you know what....

If a lens is bringing you good traffic everyday and makes you money for what ever product you are selling, why not keep it to yourself?

I would.

I have a video on YouTube that get anywhere between 10-20 free visitors to my website every single day like clock work and to be honest, I would never sell it because long term, it will bring me more and more free traffic and sales from a video I made just ONCE.

Unless he offers you BIG money that you can not refuse, I would keep it.

7. Rach72

Rach72 New Member

Ooops - forgot to add my .02!

If its a lens that you'd honestly rather not work on anymore then let it go and use the money to move onto something that you do want to do [​IMG]

8. robinincarolina

9. robinincarolina

Hypothetical question though if anyone can answer. Say a lens makes $200 a month, ranks on the first page, usually in about 3rd place consistently, can anyone tell me what it's value would be? This is what I am struggling with.

It ranks in squidoo as number 18 in family and relationships, and 2010 overall.

To sell or not to sell, because frankly, some curve balls have been thrown at me and I could use the cash at the moment.

10. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

robinincarolina: Hypothetical question though if anyone can answer. Say a lens makes $200 a month, ranks on the first page, usually in about 3rd place consistently, can anyone tell me what it's value would be? This is what I am struggling with.
    There are several formulas you can use to arrive at a fair price for your lens. Here (ironically) is a Squidoo lens that will give you some ideas.

How To Value A Squidoo Lens

Good luck!

Hermas

11. robinincarolina

12. winlin

winlin New Member

"Currently", the trend is to valuate a profit producing web site at a factor of 6x to 12x the annual revenue. go to flippa.com to see real numbers on current web sales.

I would expect you would have trouble demanding the higher factor for a Squidoo lens as it is not an asset you own or control, e.g. Squidoo could drop your lens, shut the door or change it's TOS tomorrow and with out notice if they chose to do so... and you would have zero recourse.

That said if the lens is not making an income - your likely to see offers of $5-$20 for well a written lens.

13. robinincarolina

Thank you Winlin. My question now though is this. When you say annual revenue, is this the few dollars I donate to profit or what I make in affiliate sales? There is a huge difference.

14. winlin

winlin New Member

robinincarolina
    I should probably restate. What we are actually talking about is profit. It just happens that with small niche sites and Squidoo lenses the expenses are so low that we can often look at revenue only, which is a little simpler to tabulate than (Profit = Revenues - Expenses).

So let's say the "hypothetical" lens consistently brings in an average of $200 per month profit. ( $200 x 6 to 12 = $1,200 to $2,400)

Again this is a property you do not own or control, nor will the transferee so this could certainly diminish the sales or purchase price.

"Everything is Negotiable"

15. robinincarolina

16. robinincarolina

I can say I earn way more than $5.00 dollars from Squidoo, and I have far less than 43 lens.

I have decided not to sell any of my lens at the moment. Maybe later. Right now they pay my electric, phone and sometimes enough to pay internet as well. Not from the adds though, but affiliate links. All adds I donate to charity.