Selling tips from an 8 year old!!

Discussion in 'Raising Kids' started by KariAndersen, Jul 26, 2006.

1. KariAndersen

KariAndersen New Member

My son and I drove 600 miles last summer to set up a booth at a three-day county fair in a very small community in NE Montana where I grew up. The first day was not very successful and I only sold about $100 worth of candles and I was so disappointed.

As we were packing up for the day, my son, who was 8 years old at the time, took me aside and said, "Mom, can I give you some advice about your candle selling?" My son is wise beyond his years so I was open to listen to him.

"Mom, you're doing it all wrong." Okayyyyyy

"You tell them that they are made out of veggie wax, burn cleaner than other candles, burn really long and how much they cost...."

I was confused because I was thinking that I was doing great with that information so what could he possibly tell me I'm doing wrong??

"Mom."

"You gotta get 'em in love with the scent first. Any scent... once they have a favorite, you are sure to sell." Wow! I was floored.

Ok, so the next day, I used his technique. I took a Sweet Orange and Chili Pepper [Link removed - Admin] candle. If the people walking by didn't like that one then I would put other candles under their noses. I would keep opening jars until I found one that they liked.

So was my son right about my sales?? Did I sell more when I got them to fall in love with a scent?? The first day I did a measly $100 but the next day was over $600 and the next day after that was over $700!! Yes! He was right! I'm so glad that I listened and I'm so glad that I have a business that my son and whole family can be involved with.

2. eclair

eclair New Member

Wow! That is an interesting story. That kid sure knew how to pitch [​IMG]

3. gregriv69

gregriv69 New Member

Ahh! great. A cute kid.

4. krazyladyplz

krazyladyplz New Member

Very savvy kid. That's what perfume counters have been doing for years.

5. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Well-Known Member

Good work!

He knew how to hit the right emotional buttons first. The other great value of the candles was immaterial if one didn't like the scent.

6. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

Our children are really teachers too!

My son is a few day around from graduating 3rd grade in out little home school.

As a reward, we are building a Squidoo Lens on any (allowed topic) and any income will go into his savings account.

It is exciting, the anticipation if his ideas.
    We will see what he comes up with!

Thank you for sharing your story.

You may be able to post a link in your signature line so we may see your candles!

Merry Christmas,

Victoria

7. vijendrasnv

vijendrasnv New Member

Wow what a great job by small kid.
    Any more products other than soap and candles.
    Thanks.

8. perbook

perbook Guest

waw that's very interesting story, really I appreciate.

now we realize without doubt that we can't count the wise by age.

good bless your kid sorry a little man [​IMG]

9. Lauram

Lauram New Member

Sojnds like a little entreprenear in the making...give him wings and he will fly!! [​IMG]

10. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Wow that is a great story. Good for him. He is going to be very successful in life and in business.

Tal

11. star0525

star0525 New Member

Amazing how kids thinks these days. Enjoyed this.

12. frosties1

frosties1 New Member

You must be a proud parent![​IMG]

13. weblogger

weblogger New Member

This is very inspirational and a nice post for us in marketing...

14. hagarbomb

hagarbomb New Member

This is awesome. My kid is 11 and is always keen to help me with my marketing. I think sometimes, kids are better at these things than we are, they have simple minds, without bias, so its easier for them to think like the general public, without their opinion being biased with their own views!

15. Armtwister

Armtwister New Member

kids are much smarter than us sometimes, It’s wonderful to listen to their stories and watch them play.

16. happywife

happywife Gold Member

This is an ancient thread (6 years old!), but still has a very timely piece of advice about marketing. Discover what it is about your product that people can't resist and that major on that in your marketing. This was a good reminder for me today. :)

17. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Great inspirational story and proof that...

- you should sell the sizzle not the steak​
    - you must focus on benefits not features​
    - people buy on emotion and justify with logic​
    - a little child shall lead them​

Hermas

Just2EZ likes this.