Set a schedule and keep to it

Discussion in 'Stress Management' started by wealthymarket, Jan 14, 2008.

1. wealthymarket

wealthymarket New Member

As many people who have worked from home for a significant period of time are aware, the work can be consuming and often sucks up all the hours of the day...and night...and begins to add that nasty little thing called stress into a person's (and family's) life.

I have worked from home for about 2-3 years now, and I have learned (the hard way) a thing or two about how to avoid some of the negative stress that such a job can cause.

The most important, perhaps, is to set a schedule that you intend to work and keep to it. If you do not, you will be working all day long and all night long. You will pick up the phone to answer in the middle of the night as well as during the day...and answering e-mails within a few hours will be a consistent burden.

Different people need to set different schedules. For example, one of my close friends has recently limited her working day to end at 11pm her time and she is taking greater measures to limit her weekend working hours. Why? Because she was doing so much work with her business (specifically talking with her referrals and helping them learn how to advertise, etc, their businesses) that she had no time at all to do anything but work. Online means 24/7, but people's bodies don't quite work that way. [​IMG] Set your limits and keep to them. Otherwise, you will find that the freedom of working from home can easily bring on the same kinds of cage that a regular 9-5 can bring. If you let that happen, then what's the point? [​IMG]

Camille Montojo likes this.
  2. djimelee

djimelee New Member

Yes, setting schedule will help you be a stress out person, at least you will know what to do next and wont have to think, and think then be stressed...time management and making a schedule in everything ur doing is a big help...

jem

3. crosewood

crosewood New Member

of course, i think there's always room to go off schedule, especially if you have kids and family to take care off [​IMG] there are benefits to playing hooky sometimes. then, wehn you get back to schedule, you'll be renewed and more inspired [​IMG]

4. KellT

KellT New Member

I work from home 3 days a week, and find that I need to be really strict about working to a plan.
    I tend to plan through long term goal setting that then funnels down into weekly and daily goals. This helps me to stay focused and avoid turning on the box.
    All the best
    Kell

5. bing

bing New Member

I make to-do-lists. But I have hard time keeping up with them. It seems 24 hours are not enough, LOL.

My mind is always thinking, always running.., how to pay for this.., how to that..how can I keep it calm?

Maybe I need a break? Like an outing with my family? I feel stressed out.

6. katereber

katereber New Member

Everyday I make my schedule for the next day.. And actually it was effective for me..
    I can manage my time and have enough time for my family.. Less stress.

7. whitney black

whitney black Member

I agree a schedule is very important to keep your mind at ease and keep yourself on track.

8. JTGMarketing

JTGMarketing Member

Scheduling can be very important, but I think the key here is time management, which can be done in different ways. Having a list of things to do with deadlines on when they need to be done is very useful for me. That prevents me from dragging my rear-end throughout the course of the day (or week), and it helps me to get things done in a timely manner. I have used schedules in the past, and they do work. But I often find that I may have to alter it slightly as the day progresses, because some tasks may take longer than predicted, and I have to move things back, etc.

Stick to whatever works for you.

9. Tina19

Tina19 New Member

I have been so bad at this. Every time I set a schedule it never work out the way I plan. There is always something more important that comes up. I really need to be better at this.

payment proof likes this.
  10. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I know exactly how you feel. Priortizing can be tough, but remember what you do to make money is important too. :)

11. Tina19

Tina19 New Member

I know, that is why I set a specific time to just focus on my work. It's going to be hard especially since I am that go to person in the house but it has to be done.

payment proof likes this.
  12. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I know how you feel. When you work at home, people think you have the flexibility to run errands, help out with things, etc. etc. :)

Tina19 likes this.
  13. Money2bemade

Money2bemade New Member

haha exactly! :)