Should I get my degree in marketing?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by trisha1030, Nov 4, 2010.

1. trisha1030

trisha1030 New Member

I recently started an at home business. I have not had much luck with the marketing I have been doing and after thinking about it for a while I have decided to look into going to college for Business Marketing. Is this a smart move? I love marketing and love the business I joined and the people in my upline are great. I am just not very good at the marketing part I suppose. I spend at least 4 hours a day posting and using social networking sites. I have had about 5 prospects but no luck signing up. My mentor was the one to talk to them about everything while I listened but nothing! What should I do?
  2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

I guess it depends what they teach you - some people go to business college and learn nothing about internet marketing... Have you used any online courses such as the 30 Day Challenge, or some sort of Internet Marketing course?

I learned a lot with the SBI program but am constantly learning about market research through other sources as well. You can learn a TON with free stuff as and one of my favorites is Matt Carters free video course - his website is mattsmarketingblog dot com.

Good luck.[​IMG]
  3. trisha1030

trisha1030 New Member

Thanks! I actually enrolled yesterday! Majoring in Marketing one segment is dedicated to internet marketing. Minoring in e-business and international marketing!
  4. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Awesome! You will love it.[​IMG]
  5. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

You need to get more and more leads. I don't care how long you have been online. On the internet, it is all about the numbers and one must generate new leads every single day. I am not even talking about 1-5 leads.

I am referring yo 20-100 leads per day. Now I know that for someone new, this is a BIG number but don't forget that everyone who is doing really well online started at 0 too.

Tal
  6. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

If there is one thing I would have changed about my degree, it would have been in something more practical - what you will find is that many marketing majors will end up doing something other than marketing. You will also find that you can pick up practical marketing tips online for free - and some people who have trained themselves in internet marketing know a lot more about marketing products online than those who have a four year business degree...
  7. mtran2000

mtran2000 New Member

Getting a college degree is a good idea. I would pursue that and do internet marketing on the side and build it slowly and as finances allow.

Mark
  8. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

trisha1030: I have not had much luck with the marketing I have been doing and after thinking about it for a while I have decided to look into going to college for Business Marketing. Is this a smart move?
    In my opinion, doing anything to further your education is always a good move.

And since you "love marketing and love the business" you joined, going to college to gain a better grasp of marketing concepts in general, is definitely a wise investment.

getagrip: You will also find that you can pick up practical marketing tips online for free
    That's true, and having a macro understanding of marketing will be a significant factor in recognizing and appreciating where and how those bits and pieces fit together.

Hermas
  9. Jack

Jack New Member

I would not waste my money in getting some college degree. First I would do a lot of research and look for a proven marketing system that offers free training and mentoring on how to build a work at home business. Then I would invest in that system and and become the very best of students to learn how to become a professional marketer. When you learn what it takes to build your work at home business online you will have the confidence and experience to build any kind of business you desire. You never know when a company is going to change their plan or just fold up and say good bye.
  10. Justine

Justine New Member

I have a business degree and I agree with other discussions here that it can not be compared with learning internet marketing from someone who is successful in it, who makes money out of it and wants to share his skills and knowledge.
    The best decision I made when starting my business was to invest in James Schramko mentoring. He offers a lot of free advice on his blog internetmarketingspeed dot com but he also runs his private coaching forum - this guy and what he teaches is amazing, the best thing is that it works in my case and many others [​IMG]
  11. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

I can't resist posting my cheesy slogan I sell through CafePress on my website:

Earning comes with LEarning

Any education is better than none.
    I seem to prefer the school of hard knocks.
    Experience is the best teacher.

That's what makes this forum so valuable, lots of people sharing their experiences.
  12. Selling7116

Selling7116 New Member

What I'm getting from this forum is you can get a degree but it does not have to be in marketing.
  13. jgthomas

jgthomas New Member

There's nothing wrong with getting a college degree. Keep in mind learning is a powerful tool. Thats why no matter how old we get we can always continue to learn. But a college degree doesn't guarantee anything. A lot of successful business owners do not have college degrees. Need I say, Bill Gates, drop out of college, to embark on his vision of Microsoft. College can be expensive to gain knowledge and it can be time consuming. Now for personal reasons if you want a college degree then by all means get one.

However, the time you spend in college could be the time you spend researching, reviewing freebies, watching videos, taking an internet marketing course, being coach, finding a mentor, learning from forums, etc. There are many avenues to get the knowledge you need to have a successful internet marketing business. Take some of the advice of the forum members. Utilize the free services, practice until you get it right, implement the advice, think deep inside, always restrategize, and you will become a better marketer. You know of the saying, "Practice makes perfect"

I have a business mgt & admin college degree and my college degree did not teach me anthing about starting a business. My research and 25 years of working experience taught me what I needed to know to start a business. Experience was by far the best teacher. College is base learning but the real world is totally something else when it comes to running a business.

My advice is to play the game, learn the rules, always be open for options and be creative. There are many people with college degrees, who hate their jobs, or thought they would be making 6 or 7 figure incomes. Most of the time that is not the case. Thats the true reality of a college degree. It is definitely not like it use to be over 25 years ago. I've learn how to make 6 figures on my job with a bachelors degree. I played the game and didn't go back to school to get a masters degree or phd. Then I learn their business while I was managing their business then I started my own business.

Learn the business by the best out there, not by the educators who might not even own a business. Marketing is the creativity of the mind and how well you utilize your resources to get to your targeted market.

Good Luck[​IMG]
  14. wrlawrence

wrlawrence New Member

No! You will learn more right here on internet marketing. It's all about generating leads and offering value. You will learn more by studying from those who are doing it in this Forum and other forums than you will by someone who has not done it.
  15. KarenSmith67

KarenSmith67 New Member

Trisha-

I am not certain that attending college for a marketing degree is going to make any one person successful. It takes determination, patience, persistance and a winning attitude to succeed in any business for that matter.

I always suggest when people are starting out to learn all they can about having an online business. Connect with those that have achieved success, they can help lessen your pitfalls. Stay connected to your upline sponsors and use them when you are in the learning curve. There is nothing better than having a strong support system in place when starting a new business.

I wish you the very best!
  16. Shanec

Shanec New Member

Any type of college education is built around a "perfect" world. As long as you are getting some real life application along with the education it can never hurt.
  17. HonestRep

HonestRep New Member

It can never hurt to further your education. Good luck!