Should I pay for Training

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by yelir, Apr 4, 2011.

1. yelir New Member

With all the scams out there it is hard to tell these days what is legitimate and what is a scam.

It is my experience that anyone asking you to pay to be an affiliate, or pay for a list of work at home jobs are scams. The biggest scam that I have come across is people claiming to have made 10s of thousands of dollars in a short time, doing little work.

That being said there are definitely some very legitimate training guides out there that should not be passed by. If you think about it education costs money, we pay for college, we pay for books, sometimes we even pay for tutors, so if you're looking to start an at home business and you don't know what you are doing I strongly recommend finding some legitimate resources.

It is easy to get carried away so like any other business you need to set yourself a budget for education, advertising, and anything you may need.

Good luck and don't give up
  2. To me, learning all about making an income online is like going to college.

I have had free and paid tutoring and after 4 years I am still learning. It is not easy and there is always something new to learn.
  3. onedumbaussie New Member

What would you like to learn?

It depends on the training your looking for.

What do you want achieve?

There are many excellent free courses available, I buy the odd course when I really need to learn something fast but in general. "subject + Courses" in google can help.

Is there something specific your after?

ODA
  4. mountainmom5 Gold Member

I am with Barb - having used both paid and free training in the past 3 years, I have learned from both methods.

The couple paid ones have benefited me the most as I wanted to do affiliate marketing and needed some good solid training.
  5. Rach72 New Member

I used the free training until I knew what I needed to get further training in - like building a website - then I looked for a course that would teach me how to do it

I always make sure that whatever course I buy comes with some sort of money back guarantee (like the Clickbank ones) so that if it does not meet my expectations I could refund it.

(If you start a tertiary education course you always have the option of dropping out and getting a refund for the first few weeks if it is not what you were expecting - IM training should be no different)
  6. westfam11 Member

You can probably find all the free training you want
    online but the problem with that is you don't always
    know how to put it together or what order you should
    be doing everything.

That is where paid training probably helps the
    most. But you do have to be careful and research
    and find out what training actually works and will
    help.
  7. talfighel Silver Member

The weirdest thing I have ever heard is that you have to pay money to join an affiliate program in order to sell it.

Although many MLM companies out there work this way, it should not happen in places like Clickbank, Amazon, and other famous affiliate networks.
  8. mountainmom5 Gold Member

talfighel: The weirdest thing I have ever heard is that you have to pay money to join an affiliate program in order to sell it.

Although many MLM companies out there work this way, it should not happen in places like Clickbank, Amazon, and other famous affiliate networks.
    amen!
  9. FreeCashMan Active Member

Paying for training/coaching is not a bad thing. Be it for affiliate marketing or mlm. People pay to get a job, that's what the school "game" is about. Only thing is the school paying lacks huge income potential for most and certainly doesn't provide an equal opportunity to succeed.
  10. orstyles New Member

If you get genunine trainning then its worth while paying for it. E.g if you are into newtwok marketing you will need training on getting new leads without which your business won't exist. So I would say its worth while
  11. simpleflair New Member

People are always on the look out for the next new thing to learn hoping to chase that million dollar idea. What they don't realize is that they already have enough education to initiate a few first steps. I would say buy something only if you're willing to put the time and effort and ready to execute the ideas from your education.
  12. robinincarolina Silver Member

Oh I got carried away in the beginning. I bought all kinds of stuff and got so overwhelmed. Then I just decided to create a blog, read around here and made my first dollar. I also purchased a program here from a someone's signature link to give me a step by step guide, one week marketing.

When you need to learn something, yes you may need to pay for it, but I would bring the idea or product you are considering here first and do a search and see if there are any threads here on it. If not create one and ask.
  13. MTkelly New Member

It depends on what you're desiring to become trained in/for. I'm always leery about people/companies that require you to pay them in order to work for them.. I mean, if you in for a regular job interview, you never hear them say, "Okay, we're really interested in having you work for us. However, first we need $xx".

Of course, if what you're interested in actually requires you to have a skill set that would be equivalent to going to college (e.g. I'm a medical transcriptionist, and I had to get schooling) then I think it's a different matter. But either way, do your research first to make sure it's not a scam.
  14. Jose Roman New Member

Paid training is worth it. Sometimes you are overwhelmed and have no structure. Sometimes because of that you never get started! Definitely lots of free info out there, but bottom line is if you don't take action, it doesn't matter if you got the info for free or paid for it. You will still be in the same place [IMG]
  15. AllenF New Member

When I first began in 2006, I thought I could learn everything for free, after all, look at all the great stuff everyone keeps sending to me in their email marketing, right? But the truth is, they never tell you everything, and even then you'll struggle to put everything into the correct order. You'll stumble along and never get anything right.

So yes, paid training is more than worth it, in fact, it's what you should do. Keep in mind that it's not the price, but the quality you receive. Joining an online membership is more than worth it, especially if they have an active forum where you can post questions and get the answers you need to move forward.

That alone is worth it.

Sitting in front of your computer it's easy to feel like you are all alone. Having people you can ask is valuable.

I do know of a membership site that teaches how to make money online for beginners, of which I have been a member for more than two years, it's the reason why I am making money online today, so if anyone wants to know what it is, just message me if you can (I'm new here, so maybe you can't do that quite yet, don't know) and I will give you the link to it - not an affiliate link, either, but the direct link to it.

I'm not mentioning this to make money, I'm only doing this to help others here.

Allen
  16. michaelcole New Member

Yes, absolutely pay for training, you can only go so far on the free training available then you seem to hit a deadend.

Not surprising when you think about it, how will anyone make any money if they just give everything away?

And consider this, Mike Dillard pays out a lot of money for some very expensive training, and he's one of the best trainers around.
  17. nbaker New Member

I really think training to improve specific skills set would be key if you plan on just working at home. I am a freelance programmer and they really are important especially those that would give you certifications and distinctions that could really look good in your resume.

There are also a lot of emerging technologies that you can try. Though it already is established, linkbuilding would still be one of the sought after jobs on online freelance sites.
  18. mreese601 Member

If you want to cut your learning curve in half find a good leader and follow that leader. Most of the big name in internet marketing have a membership that you could join and they will teach you what u need to know about making money online.