Shoulder injury

Discussion in 'Health' started by BigCash, Oct 29, 2008.

1. BigCash

BigCash New Member

Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with my shoulder? They say it is not the rotator cuff, but it hurts when I bench press, and make that kind of motion[​IMG]
  2. Seth

Seth New Member

i guess the best thing to do is go to your "Doctor" [​IMG]

the most common shoulder problem for bodybuilders is the rotator cuff bec. of wrong execution of the exercise or too heavy..

btw when did it start to hurt and why...
  3. determined

determined New Member

Hello bigcash. If a particular excerise bothers your shoulder don't do it or try cutting down on the weight you are using. Stretching is very important also. You might have tendonitis. If you do your doctor can prescribe an antiflammatory. This will clear up the problem fairly quickly. Good luck

Determined
  4. jeffathome

jeffathome New Member

I have had the same problem now for 6 months and it is no better. I decreased the weight on my bench by 70 lbs and just doing more reps. Still isn't healing. I 've been told I have to stop benching all together for 2-3 months. Don't know if I can do it.
  5. Sonni

Sonni New Member

It depends on what kind of pain it is. If it's a sharp pain it could be tendonitis. If it was an injury you would have felt it at the onset and could have iced it. As it is you should use heat and massage it plus keep it flexible by moving it around or it will become stiff.

If it's a rotator cuff it may take a while to heal you can work around it and do other exercises. If it's a rotator cuff it usually hurts when pushing but not when pulling. For example, you may not be able to bench, but you can do lat pull downs.

I have had many shoulder injuries from weight training and several of them have been my rotator so I'm very familiar with how to treat it. My last rotator injury took 4 months to heal. No surgery. I did heat treatments, massage and stretches daily.

You have to lessen the weight a lot or stop doing anything that hurts it or else your injury will last longer and possibly get worse.
    If it's tendonitis I've had that too and acupuncture cured it.
    Sonni
  6. johnjimat

johnjimat New Member

u should see a doctor, he would know what is wrong with your shoulder and know what best to heal your shoulder [​IMG]
  7. samda

samda Member

I feel sorry for your injury. Please consult a physician asap.
  8. jeffathome

jeffathome New Member

Go to youtube and type in rotator cuff exercises. There are some good ones there which have help me a ton. I have noticed huge improvements since focusing on my shoulder and cuff area with a couple of exercises.
  9. cpryor

cpryor New Member

Have you had an MRI - this is the only test that will give a definitive diagnosis or rule out rotator cuff tear.. Also too it could be an impingement. This is described as a pinched nerve. I have had shoulder pain for 3 years, off and on- it was then that they told me - without an MRI that I did not have rotator cuff tear but that I had arthritis. My MD gave me a cortisone injection which did work for 3 years up until May of this year. I have found that there are other things that can be done to decrease the pain and risk of rotator cuff tears. It keeps me out of the Emergency rooms
  10. Jean LA

Jean LA New Member

You should have your shoulder checked by a physician. Don't let it be damaged by an exercise, you should stop your exercise if it hurts you.
  11. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

This may sound like Granny advise, but Aspercream really does help.
    I have has 13 spine surgeries and it helps my ancient neck a lot!

I hope you feel better soon,

Victoria
  12. AshleySullivan

AshleySullivan New Member

Many lifters mistake a biceps tendon injury with a shoulder injury because the tendon connects into that area. Self diagnosis could be your first mistake.

You have two choices: Stop lifting so that what ever it is can heal, or get a MRI to determine what the problem is and then design a smart regimen that will enable you to continue lifting while protecting the injury.
  13. michaelcole

michaelcole New Member

I hurt my shoulder trying to lift a new max for the bench press. It strained my right deltoid.

I had to take six months off from bench presses to let it heal.

Mike
  14. Interesting,

I had sholder pain from injury for six months with torn deltoid ligament according to MRI, so not wanting steroid shots or operation to repair, I chose physical therapy and it didn't get any better. Finally tried something totally new and it worked in a matter of a week, so I was amazed. I stopped all therapy at the same time, so maybe that was the reason the pain started to deminish and is now totally gone. Amazing how painful something like a torn ligament can be, I couldn't even raise my arm.

Wealth Without Health is Worthless,
  15. milasports

milasports New Member

I have been able to extend a canoe paddling hobby as a result of adding Omega 3 to my diet. Paddling is usually full of shoulder, elbow, back & neck injuries. After studying more about Omega 3s I learned it was a natural anti inflamatory.

Sounds like he had a tear in his shoulders cartillage.
  16. kevinchamp

kevinchamp New Member

Shoulder rehabilitation focuses on two important aspects of shoulder motion flexibility and strength. Many muscles are involved in shoulder movement and all work together, but strengthening the rotator cuff is especially important. The rotator cuff is the main stabilizer of the shoulder joint during movement of the shoulder.
  17. EMiller

EMiller New Member

I did the same thing on the bench 15 years ago and it has festered until recently. The antioxidant alkaline water I have been drinking has relieved the pain.

You can also google some exercises that use light weights to strengthen your shoulder. This helped some. There are many youtube videos on the subject as well.