Silpada?

Discussion in 'Work at Home Moms' started by WesKate, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Charlies Mom

Charlies Mom New Member

Does anyone know how to go abourt getting the jewelry for display without coming up with $750?
  2. BlingOutTheBest

BlingOutTheBest New Member

I just happen to be browsing the net and saw this post on the site. Let me first tell you, I have been selling Silpada for a little over a year now and I love it. I started with nothing. A good team leader will work with you and help you get your Jewelry for free. In the first 100 days you can earn all of your Jewelry. In the meantime, I have loaner kits that I give to my reps for the first 100 days. I have found that if you help your team with a kit they do better.
  3. BlingOutTheBest

BlingOutTheBest New Member

As long as you are present with the jewelry you can display it. You can't display it and let someone else sell it for you.
    Then you run into issues to be considered "Cash and Carry". But no a real big deal. Happy to help anyway I can. Please feel free to ask.
  4. abuckigal

abuckigal New Member

KellyRedHead: Do you any of the reps that answered or others find that with the current gas and food prices your sales have slumped? Or has your parties slowed down? When I had my party a few months ago I invited well over 60 people and like 10 came, several returned the books back to me with out orders telling me the prices were to steep for them. I know just like with other home parties some products can be found in dept stores for lesser prices, not the same quality, but some don't seem to care.
    How have you all been dealing with any of my questions.
    Thanks in advance.

It is a proven fact that during hard economic times, DS companies still do well. Women will continue to buy jewelry, cosmetics, and alcohol. (LOL) I am a Silpada Rep and although I did have a slow June, I blame myself for not getting on the phone and following up with people who said they were interested. I have a strong July and August already booked. Usually when someone objects to the price, it's because the most expensive piece on the catalog page is jumping out at them. Silpada actually has more than 50 items priced at under $25 and 200 items priced at under $50. The jewelry is not costume jewelry, it's genuine sterling with other natural stones, tooled leather, etc. It is all handcrafted and carries a lifetime guarantee. It really does sell itself. There is no presentation at a Silpada party so women seem willing to invite their friends in and just play dress up with it and then enjoy the generous rewards of free jewelry for hosting a party.

When you invite 60 people and only 10 show up, this is pretty normal for any home party. I don't think it's because of gas prices or the economy.
  5. abuckigal

abuckigal New Member

getagrip: Silpada is actually a pretty hot niche on eBay, so I would imagine that a silpada business could be very profitble.

Silpada Designs Representatives are not permitted to sell on ebay. The company monitors the site closely and you can lose your contract if you sell there.
  6. abuckigal

abuckigal New Member

Charlies Mom: Does anyone know how to go abourt getting the jewelry for display without coming up with $750?

You can host your own party and earn free jewelry for doing it. The national average for a Silpada home show is $750 which would earn you $225 in free jewelry. If your party is larger than that, you earn more. Most of my parties average around $1,000 however I did one this past weekend that was a whopping $3,100! With a party like that you can earn a ton of free jewelry! You get 30% of your party's sales in free jewelry. You could then start up with the company and display just the pieces that you have earned as a hostess. Basically, all you need to do is have some jewelry to display the quality of the product. The catalog is beautiful and everything in it is shown in "actual size". Another possibility is to sign up under someone that is willing to loan out her jewelry so that you can do parties. As you reach sales goals, you will earn free jewelry and with the money you make at your parties, you can purchase more to build your own display kit.
  7. Dolly

Dolly New Member

If I become a sales rep for Silpada am I allowed to sell any other jewelry or am I bound to only sell that product line?
  8. abuckigal

abuckigal New Member

Dolly: If I become a sales rep for Silpada am I allowed to sell any other jewelry or am I bound to only sell that product line?

When you submit your contract request to Silpada they ask you if you represent any other DS company. If you are selling jewelry for another DS company they will probably deny your contract request because it represents a conflict of interest.
  9. aprilmoonbeam

aprilmoonbeam New Member

Roxanne could you email me the contact info on this new company, please? My e-mail is [email protected]
    Thank you.
  10. SFerber

SFerber New Member

Silpada has some really nice jewelry! I had a pink quartz earing and necklace set. LOVED them but my kids got to them BROKE MY HEART. I am now jewelry free until they ALL move the heck out. [​IMG]
  11. MBRIS

MBRIS New Member

All Direct Sales companies see a slump during the summer months... but if you keep working the business, even though.. continuing to make contacts, you will be set for the Holidays! Just don't stop..
  12. spaugysgirl

spaugysgirl New Member

I inquired about this company and once I saw the line, I was really thrilled about the quality and the rocker edgy look...my only hesitation is people are hurting financially and will women actually plunk down money for jewelry? I love jewelry but don' t wear as much as Silpada reps seem to, all the gals are just overloaded!
    I'm not sure I'm a right fit but it looks like it be a good gig...I want to earn money avoid taking an actual second job at a "company"
    Does anyone have a bad experience w/ Silpada or hear any rumors that should be noted before I join? And are there any Cali reps out there? I'd like to inquire about how these gals are doing in Silpada venture, are you making some cash? Can anyone say that type of women is the target market?
  13. jazzijewels

jazzijewels New Member

Hi girls,

One comment about Silpada and Ebay....there is no clause that says you can't get in to buy for the 50% off and then immediately get out and do the ebay thing. That IS what some people are doing.

At any given point in time there is approximately 12,000 Silpada items or hits on ebay. THAT is a big problem. I have sent the suggestion to Silpada that they put a clause in the agreement that someone has to be OUT for a minimum of one year before they can mass list what they have on eBay. Because I am sick and lost my job and social contacts, it was impossible for me to sell successfully. All the contacts that I ended up finding were people who went to someone elses party and didn't want to pay full price. They wanted the discount from someone on ebay or craigslist. Even if they took the chance that it wasn't really new nor guaranteed any more. Of course some people have different ethics. I personally had to resort to selling on eBay to keep my house, but I still sell at almost the full price so I make a profit. I won't give it away at auction like some people do. This post is not meant to turn anyone away from Silpada, if I got a job again, I would sign up again. I just don't have a girlfriend network or the outgoing drive to SELL to strangers. I hate being bugged myself. BUT when you wear it...it does sell. That is how I made all my sales...especially the big ones. I sold two of that gorgeous Sterling watch with the big square links. AND I kept one for me!!!

PEACE
    Linda

[Post edited - Admin]
  14. jazzijewels

jazzijewels New Member

kalien: I have a vast network of jewelry-loving friends and business associates spread throughout the country.

Hi Kalien, I am trying to sell my own jewelry supplemented with the Silpada I got stuck with and some other very affordable silver. And I have assigned a few charities/donations to a lot of my items. If you are up for it, please distribute my web address to your network. I am home on disability but the 'system' wont' help me. I got booted off insurance and am a little older and no one will hire me. This is my last resort to try to take care of myself with my own jewelry sales.

thanks,
    Linda Bendele
  15. RoxanneY

RoxanneY New Member

spaugysgirl: I inquired about this company and once I saw the line, I was really thrilled about the quality and the rocker edgy look...my only hesitation is people are hurting financially and will women actually plunk down money for jewelry? I love jewelry but don' t wear as much as Silpada reps seem to, all the gals are just overloaded!
    I'm not sure I'm a right fit but it looks like it be a good gig...I want to earn money avoid taking an actual second job at a "company"

I joined AuraStella instead, I liked both but AuraStella is new and is more of a ground floor opportunity. I love the jewelry and I have had great reviews from customers. Let me know what you think.
  16. RoxanneY

RoxanneY New Member

jazzijewels: One comment about Silpada and Ebay....there is no clause that says you can't get in to buy for the 50% off and then immediately get out and do the ebay thing. That IS what some people are doing.

At any given point in time there is approximately 12,000 Silpada items or hits on ebay. THAT is a big problem. I have sent the suggestion to Silpada that they put a clause in the agreement that someone has to be OUT for a minimum of one year before they can mass list what they have on eBay. Because I am sick and lost my job and social contacts, it was impossible for me to sell successfully. All the contacts that I ended up finding were people who went to someone elses party and didn't want to pay full price.

Our company does not allow you to sell on Ebay, you are only allowed to purchase at 50% one time to get more display items. I haven't had any problems with people wanting to buy on ebay. When people come to a home party they are supporting the hostess, it's nice for women to support each other and have a good time. I'm sorry you are having so many problems with your contacts. Best of luck in the future- I hope you are feeling better and that you meet some great contacts.
  17. abuckigal

abuckigal New Member

I think with any direct sales company, what you get out of it is based upon the effort you put into it. You need to set yourself up for success before you sign up. You need to be willing to ask friends and family members to have a party to help you start your new business. If you give good customer service and are friendly at your parties, you will get future bookings.

I have not had any trouble at all selling Silpada at home parties and I've never had anybody ask me for a discount. The jewelry is beautiful. It is all hand crafted by various artists from all over the world. It has a lifetime guarantee when purchased through a Silpada Representative. Buying it second hand or or ebay will negate the lifetime warranty. The jewelry literally sells itself when you display it. There is no presentation or pressure at a Silpada home party and I think that's one reason why people will have them and their friends will come. I have not noticed a reduction in my sales during this tough economy. In fact, July was my best sales month so far. There is a brand new catalog that came out on August 1 and people are excited about the new pieces.

Billie
    [email protected]
  18. abuckigal

abuckigal New Member

spaugysgirl: I inquired about this company and once I saw the line, I was really thrilled about the quality and the rocker edgy look...my only hesitation is people are hurting financially and will women actually plunk down money for jewelry? I love jewelry but don' t wear as much as Silpada reps seem to, all the gals are just overloaded!
    Does anyone have a bad experience w/ Silpada or hear any rumors that should be noted before I join? And are there any Cali reps out there? I'd like to inquire about how these gals are doing in Silpada venture, are you making some cash? Can anyone say that type of women is the target market?

I think I may have posted this before. According to the Direct Sales Association, there are three things that women will buy even in a depressed economy.....cosmetics, jewelry, and alcohol! LOL

The reason you see Silpada Reps dripping in silver is:
    1. They love the jewelry and have either purchased it at a discount or earned it free.
    2. Layering the jewelry (wearing several pieces at the same time) creates interest when you are out and about among people. You may not really notice a single necklace or bracelet on someone but if they are wearing 2 or 3 of them, you will notice and will probably comment on how nice it is. Take a look at our ads in Redbook magazine each month and see how good the models look wearing the jewelry.

As for making money, yes you can! [​IMG] I worked for another DS company for 8 years and never showed a profit on my income tax. I spent most of my profits purchasing monthly sale flyers and mailing them out and then paying fees to process credit cards and submit orders. With Silpada, there is never a monthly sale (unless a Rep offers a personal discount to her customers) so there is nothing to mail out every month. Silpada also pays all credit card fees. Your commission is 30% straight off the top and the "national average" for a show is $750. This means that if you do an average show, you will earn $225 cash for working a few hours that evening. I signed up in October and by the end of that first year (after just selling for 3 months), I had made enough money to take a lavish vacation and I did have to report my earnings on my income tax. I was happy to do so knowing that I actually made good money at this business!

One of the girls on my team lives in CA. Another lives in FL, and several live in OH. It doesn't matter what state you live in. Women love jewelry and they will buy it!
  19. LifestyleDesign

LifestyleDesign New Member

Silpada is really nice jewelry.

I have a friend who sells it, and have a few pieces I've purchased.

The only disadvantage I can see to this business is their focus on home parties.

Here's the thing: You get invited to friend #1's party, and everyone you know is there. One of those people agrees to host a party and invites you. You go. All the same people are there. Another of them agrees to host a party. You get invited again. All the same people are there. By this time you're about jewelry partied out, and the next invite comes and you decline.

After about six months, your Silpada selling friend isn't doing much with her business. And you're glad, even though you did like the jewelry, you can only buy/wear so much jewelry.

My Silpada selling friend started her business years after I started mine. I'm still in business. She's not really.

If you don't have consumable products or services which people use month after month after month (reorders), it can be difficult to create a consistent paycheck.

The people in Silpada who seem to be really successful are fantastic networkers who have a talent for keeping that network growing rather than incestuously promoting to the same people constantly.

They are also good at recruiting and building a team.

If you feel like you are good at those two activities and you LOVE the jewelry, Silpada is a well-known, reputable company, and you should do just fine!

Good luck with your business,
    g
  20. abuckigal

abuckigal New Member

LifestyleDesign: Here's the thing: You get invited to friend #1's party, and everyone you know is there. One of those people agrees to host a party and invites you. You go. All the same people are there. Another of them agrees to host a party. You get invited again. All the same people are there. By this time you're about jewelry partied out, and the next invite comes and you decline.

Yes, this can happen. It happened to me as a customer but I was glad. There were so many pieces that I wanted and having the ability to space out my purchases by going to several different parties helped my pocketbook. When the list of items I wanted kept getting longer, I knew it was time to start selling it to earn free jewelry and a paycheck.

LifestyleDesign: After about six months, your Silpada selling friend isn't doing much with her business. And you're glad, even though you did like the jewelry, you can only buy/wear so much jewelry.

My Silpada selling friend started her business years after I started mine. I'm still in business. She's not really.

If you don't have consumable products or services which people use month after month after month (reorders), it can be difficult to create a consistent paycheck.

I have to disagree somewhat. As a Rep you really need to do good hostess coaching and part of that is giving good advice on who to include on her guest list. The people you talked about should have invited not only the original group of friends, but also new people including mom, aunts, grandmas, sisters, neighbors, etc. By doing this, it helps the hostess to reap greater rewards and it helps the Silpada Rep to reach out to new people who will want to have parties.

Also, working a couple events each year such as a festival or a church bazaar will get any Direct Sales Rep a whole bunch of new leads.

If your Silpada friend's business dried up, I'd have to say it was because she didn't put forth the effort to keep it growing.