Sleeping Schedule

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by Just Jer, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Just Jer

Just Jer New Member

Hello everyone, I have recently decided to take on a personal business. My problem however, is that i can seem to only fit in 3 hours of sleep... my daytime job begins at 7AM and ends at 7PM, before this i require a shower and breakfast, my whole shower and "get ready" time usually averages an hour and my breakfast about half an hour, this means waking up at 5-5:30. When i get home i have about 3 hours to sit and eat and converse with everyone, before getting into my personal business , from about 10PM to 2PM, as you can see, i am not able to get much sleep, and find it very hindering upon how much work i get done and how focused i can remain, I've read a lot of forums on how much sleep is required to get the best productivity, and have found that 6hours is a minimum. I am wondering how i should consider going about this, as i, of course would like to hold a 6 hour minimum of sleep while still getting everything done. I'd also even like to get a bit of exercise and some reading in as well. An example schedule:

5AM-6AM Shower
    6AM-6:30AM Breakfast
    6:30AM-7PM Daytime Job
    7PM-10PM Supper and Family
    10PM-2AM Personal Business

I'd appreciate all insight into how to get the most productivity here, if this is on the wrong forum section please let me know, as I was unsure which this would fall under. Thank You.
  2. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

You've really got to increase the amount of time you sleep. Getting more sleep would help increase your productivity during waking hours. I imagine right now you're fighting fatigue a lot of the time.
  3. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Assuming you don't work 7 to 7 seven days a week,
    Devote 1 or 2 days a week for building your business
    and only spend an hour or two per day the rest of the week.
    I "had to" work 20 hour days back when my five kids were young.
    It was a mindset that kept me trapped like a slave for many years.
    Thankfully someone snapped me out of the illusion, eventually.
  4. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Here's a revised schedule:

5:30AM-6AM Shower
    7PM-9:30PM Supper and Family
    9:30PM-11:30PM Personal Business

While this will get you 6 hours to sleep on paper, it reduces the time allocated to your personal business. That could be a good thing because it requires you to be really organized and selective about what to do to get the most productivity.

At the end of the day what matters most is how much you get done, rather than how much time you spend doing it.

Hermas
  5. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

If you are building a business and want it to bring you a great income and total financial freedom, why not cut your 3 hour "Family" time and devote it to your business. Explain to your wife and kids that you have to do this in order to live better.

Or maybe just devote 30 minutes to your family.
  6. 88Style

88Style New Member

I know family time is important but i guess you should cut it down to two hours. Your personal business time should be moved to weekends too so that you can sleep. I think you take too much time preparing yourself. Well, I'm a guy and I can take a bath, dress up and and eat breakfast for 45 minutes. I walk to the bus station for 15 minutes. Sometimes I ride my bicycle and grab a coffee in Starbucks. I don't live with the family so I don't have much time to spend with them.
  7. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

A8ch: 5:30AM-6AM Shower
    7PM-9:30PM Supper and Family
    9:30PM-11:30PM Personal Business
    Wow Hermas, that is a tough schedule! I really hope it's paying off for you though, and that you are earning well. [​IMG]
  8. simpleflair

simpleflair New Member

That's one crazy schedule. Truth be told, that used to be my schedule when starting out. But I started my personal business the minute I got home from work and didn't stop until 1am. Dinner and Family time was about 30 mins total.
  9. 88Style

88Style New Member

In addition to moving some of the personal time to the weekend I would also suggest keeping some food that you can eat on the go. You don't always need to do this, but you may find yourself able to get more sleep if you aren't preparing breakfast every morning.

As far as productivity goes, there's not much more you can do to be honest, but I would put your own health above getting as much done as possible.

Good luck!
  10. NetWizard862

NetWizard862 New Member

Make sure that you get some QUALITY sleep. this might compensate for the lack of it. I did some research on sleep a few years ago and the main point I came to was "if you can't make it sufficient, make it at least "efficient". 6-7 hours of deep quality sleep can be way more revitalizing than 9 hrs of that of low quality. To make sure you are getting the "right sleep" try not to work much right before going to bed (which you do a lot now according to your schedule), if not possible at least never ever work in the same room where you sleep, exercise not less than 4-5 hours before going to bed and drink lots of water. Obviously, there are more ways to improve your sleeping habits, but you need something to start with I guess. Another tip is to delegate as much as you can - start looking for some freelance help, it's inexpensive and can save you oodles of time. Make sure you automatize some of your tasks, if your business needs seo, for instance, use tools like seo powersuite, which run so many tasks independently by the time scheduler - there's tons of ways to create more time in your life!