Sleepwalking Kids!? Share your advice stories here.

Discussion in 'Raising Kids' started by Money4Mommy, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Money4Mommy

Money4Mommy New Member

My seven year old has been sleepwalking and I am in desperate need of advice. I am so worried she will hurt herself during the night. We wake up in the middle of the night to find her stumbling around in the dark. It's very scary and she does not wake up even with the lights on or when you talk to her. Has anyone had similar experiences?

2. cybermommy

cybermommy New Member

My 11yr old doesn't sleepwalk anymore ,but he went through a phase of it when he was 4-5 yrs old.
    One particular night ,he got out of his bed,we assumed he was going to use the toilet,I listened for the toliet seat and couldn't hear it.
    Half alseep,I pull myself up and turned to get out of the bed.
    My husband sleeps closest to the door,and so out of the corner of my eye I see my son lift up the duvet and proceed to pee all over his dad!
    He must have thought he was using the toilet and he was asleep!
    I didn't want to scare him,as I haveheard this is dangerous for sleepwalkers and went around to get him.
    Hubby ,though leapt out of the bed in sheer shock lol
    My son then woke up and burst into tears!
    I started to give him warm milky drinks before bed and a complex carb meal,i.e baked potato,pasta etc which made him sleepy and he seemed to sleep through without getting up.
    He also used to get up in the night and get ready for school!
    I can't tell you how many times I used to get up and check he was fast asleep in his bed!

3. stacy

stacy New Member

I feel your pain. I was a sleepwalker and my 9 year old son is too. He has tinkled in our bathtub, in our bathroom trashcan and who knows where else in the house he's done it. He talks in his sleep also. I have not found a solution, but I do know NOT to wake him up, just guide him back to bed and rub is back until he falls asleep. I did stop letting him have soda or sweet tea after 6:00pm and that seems to help him sleep, but we stillhave incident every once in a while.
    I've searched the internet for solutions and cannot find anything. I wish they made an all natural sleep-aid for children so he can get some quality sleep for once!

If you find out anything about this subject, please contact me. I would love to hear solutions to the sleepwalking, sleep talking and night terrors that he sometimes has.

[email protected]

4. aplina

aplina New Member

my husband is the one who sleep walk. and believe me he has done alots of funny stuffs l donot know if i can share it. now am thinking my kid will get it.

5. hellothere

hellothere New Member

Wait, aplina, you cannot almost tell us the funny stuff, then leave us hanging! Please share at least a bit!!

6. YoungMoneymaker

YoungMoneymaker New Member

Hmm.. kind of old thread but whatever..

I've sleepwalked like once, I walked down the stairs, put my cloths on and then went back to sleep (My mom told me that the other day.)
    My brother have also sleepwalked once, in the morning next day he laid in his bed with a cap on his head that we've never seen before[​IMG].
    That was a bit fun and scary, no one knew where he got that cap from.

7. Chriscent

Chriscent New Member

My brother and I used to both sleepwalk. He would try to get out of the house. He most commonly peed in strange places.

I did it under times of stress. Slept over at a friend's as a teen and her mother found me sitting in the living room in the middle of the night.

I married at 19 and did sleepwalk several times just after. I would remember things, and get angry when I couldn't explain the things I was seeing/doing to my new husband. The scariest/most unsettling was when I was trying to get to a little girl in the hall pantry.

My husband walked in sleep just once. I woke to find our bedroom's bathroom light on, and my husband was standing over me, well... over my feet, and peeing.

My son, now 8, has never walked in his sleep. He does not eat candy or drink caffiene AT ALL. Maybe that is the reason. He just never liked the sweets or soda. He drinks cold tea on occasion, but only when I do, and I don't very often.

I know I don't have any advice, but us sleepwalkers are not alone. Hang in there.

Chris

8. Money4Mommy

Money4Mommy New Member

Just wanted to post an update about my daughter since I saw this thread was active again.

Turns out that her sleepwalking was caused from stress and anxiety about starting a new school. Within 1 week of starting school and making new friends she was sleeping soundly and safely all through the night.[​IMG]

That was 6 months ago and still no sleepwalking. My advice to anyone who has sleepwalking kids is to take a look at any changes in their life, schedule, emotions, etc.

9. YoungMoneymaker

YoungMoneymaker New Member

Feels good to hear that Money4Mommy [​IMG].

10. leannewilko2012

leannewilko2012 New Member

Money4Mommy

Hi there i have the same problem with my 7 year old son. Hes been doin it for a while and i am the same myself. im worried incase he hurts himself in the kitchen as he climbs on top of the kitchen worktops.
    The only way i have solved this is to put locks on the kitchen door so that he doesnt go in an help himself.

Hope this helps as this has helped me.