Social Media and Community Management

Discussion in 'Website Promotion' started by Alison Smith, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Alison Smith

Alison Smith New Member

Can anyone help me out. I have created a blog site about sports and recreation. I don't have much content yet but i guess its good to be launched. My question is, how will I start my social media initiatives especially on facebook?
  2. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

First be sure your pages have SHARING BUTTONS that are visible (above and below helps).
    Then be the first to share it and encourage others to share it too.
    AddThis is the sharing widget I prefer to use these days.
  3. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Alison,

If I were you I would wait until I built up more content before I started worrying too much about social media. Instead, set your blog up with the usual social media buttons so that people can "like" your pages and comment if they want. Then focus on the content for a while.

Sports and recreation is a BROAD subject. Consider narrowing it down to a specific sport or recreational activity and write a lot of articles for your blog on that narrower topic (based on keyword research, of course). The more people find your content and appreciate what you have to offer, the more they will start the social media ball rolling for you. THEN you can jump in and start using it more to your advantage.

It will be harder for people to get excited about your blog until you've provided a lot of value (content) for them to get excited about - know what I mean?

All the best!
    Blessings,
    Angie
  4. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Alison,

Start friending others who also share an interest in sports and recreation. Make a comment on their wall about what they do, and perhaps also invite them to view your blog.

Facebook is a great tool for generating traffic, but it takes a lot of networking.
  5. Dick B.

Dick B. New Member

Not directly related to Facebook, but adding on to Happywife's comment about building up content, why not flesh out some of your blog posts into articles & submit to a few directories to start getting some more exposure & content out there? Also, when you can (like here) link to your blog everytime you communicate to anyone.

<Snip>
    [Link removed - Admin]
  6. jamess

jamess Member

Content is the most important thing if you have enough content then social media will help you more...
  7. Adrian

Adrian Member

Hello Alison. If you are trying to market on Facebook,then I would suggest starting a FB Fanpage. That way you
    can builid a following of like minded individuals. But first you must interact and engage with your audience.
    Most importantly however you must create tons of good content first on your Blog.I would concentrate on my blog
    first and then venture out to social media. That way you can stand on your content alone.
  8. Hi Alison,

Happywife and Dick are right. Focus on building your content then posting them to article directories. You can also do Social Bookmarking, Press Release Submissions and Web 2.0. Here is how you can add social buttons for Blogspot and Wordpress Blogs: http://www.seohints.org/2012/11/add-twitter-widgets-for-blogspot-or.html
    http://www.seohints.org/2012/11/add-facebook-like-box-for-blogspot-or.html

When doing Facebook advertising, here are some tips:
    - Put your fan page URL in your email signature.
    - Write a blog post about your new fan page
    - Ask your Twitter followers to join your fan page
    - Put a fan page widget on your blog or website
    - Customize your fan page URL
    - Put a link on your personal Facebook profile
    - Ask fans to post a link
    - Put a tag in your YouTube videos
    - Put your fan page URL on your Twitter profile background
    - Add a Like box
    - invite all of your friends