Social Proof - A Weapon Of Influence

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by TerryVision, Sep 2, 2014.

?

What are some ways you use "Social Proofing" to build your business?

1. Customer Reviews / Ratings

100.0%
  2. Social Likes / Shares

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Trust Symbols

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Video Testimonies

33.3%
  5. Celebrity Endorsements

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. P.R.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TerryVision

TerryVision New Member

The Principle of Social Proof states that one means we use to determine what is correct is to find out what other people think is correct.

Many advertisers will inform us when a product or service is the "fastest growing", "producing the most results", or "largest-selling".

All they need are enough people saying that the product or service is good enough which is often proof enough for the potential customer.

It relieves the advertiser of the duty of having to convince us directly that the product is of value or any good.

We've even seen it on charity telethons when they say; " Look at all the people who have decided to give. It MUST be the right thing to do!"

What do you think about social proofing? Is it a great way to influence others to take action?
    Do you use it? Does it work for you?

payment proof and A8ch like this.
  2. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Welcome to the forum, Terry.

Social proofing exploits the 'follow-the-crowd' aspect of our psyche which accepts that if a sufficient number of other people are doing (or not doing) something, then it's probably okay for us to do likewise. It suggests that we are followers at the core, or we simply like to be associated with others who share our perspectives.

So the astute and ambitious individual can simply adopt a leadership role, advance a premise, or make a claim, and then get sufficient people to support it. As momentum builds and more people fall in line, it becomes easier for the leader to accumulate converts and legitimize his or her position.

Of course this can greatly impact one's ego (if one lets it) and one's pocketbook as well.

As marketers, social proof, in the form of testimonials, likes, shares, followers, contacts, subscribers, and so on, is crucial to our perceived growth and success.

Hermas

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    payment proof likes this.
  3. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I voted in your poll Terry. Very interesting post.

Celebrity endorsements have never really done much for me. They are getting paid by the advertiser to say what the advertiser wants. Ratings and comments from everyday people go a lot further with me.

Social proofing can influence others to take action.

4. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

That is very true.

When you have a good amount of real customers giving some great testimonials, this has been proven time and time again to get more people to buy.

payment proof likes this.
  5. PeterMFL

PeterMFL Active Member

I use reviews.
    I am very confident in what I provide so i always encourage buyers to leave some feedback on my page whether it's good or bad... Haven't had any bad ones yet though! :)

Of course bad feedback is also good so you know what you need to do to improve your customer service and products.

Just2EZ likes this.