Something from Pinecone

Discussion in 'Paid Surveys' started by oregoncountry, Mar 27, 2009.

1. oregoncountry

oregoncountry Member

was sent to my friend edie and I am sure I have seen it and did not go for it. But, wanted to ask advice on it. Basically, Pinecone sends you an email and then when you click on a link you are asked to download some sort of software that tracks where you surf on the net. This is an information "collector" I understand but it seems also like an invasion of privacy. Know what Im saying? Open to feedback. My friend is holding off downloading it til I find out some further info for the both of us[​IMG]

Thanks all and ttys, denise in Sams Valley OR

2. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Denise,

Pinecone has a pretty good reputation from what I've heard, so I don't think you'd be downloading anything that's actually harmful to your computer (which is usually MY biggest concern), but yes, there are softwares that do track where you surf.

That's not at all unusual. It happens to you whether you realize it or not. In fact, that's the whole basis of affiliate marketing. "Cookies" track where you've been so that the companies know who to give credit to for sales commissions.

That's not the only time it is done. Google does it and I suspect if we knew the truth it would probably scare us all half to death! There really is no privacy on the net.

I generally don't worry about it because I know where I go online and I don't care who "sees" it. [​IMG] As I said, I more worry about picking up viruses and other nasty things when downloading. I don't think that would be a problem with Pinecone, but if your friend doesn't want to be tracked, she probably better stay offline. [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie

3. celtmaidn

celtmaidn New Member

There were some issues when this first came up, and I know that Trend Micro was flagging it as a Trojan. There has been some heated debate back and forth on other boards as to whether Trends is showing a false positive or not. My issue is that I trust Trends, but use other programs for my daily protection, and they didn't even blink at the program. But I have since had to reformat, so Pinecone's program is not currently on my system.

Rumor has it that Trend Micro is working with the people who made the program to find a "fix". Downloading it is completely up to you. I will wait till I do another Pinecone survey to see if an issue arises from not having the tracking software on my system.

4. oregoncountry

oregoncountry Member

Thank you both, as usual, you've been a great help[​IMG] I will let Edie know my findings[​IMG]

denise in Sams Valley OR