Special education teacher looking to stay home....

Discussion in 'Work at Home Moms' started by mom, Jul 27, 2008.

1. mom

mom New Member

Hi! I am brand new to this forum and feel lucky to have found it! There are so many scams out there that I can't seem to get going in the right direction. I have a one year old and would like to work from home, instead of teaching, for the next few years. I think I'd like a data entry job, or something along those lines. I know this sounds bad but I do not want a job that is going to require so much of my time (starting a home based business), I can't be a full time mom. I was thinking 5 hours a day or so. I do not have to make "big" money, I do need to make $2000 a month. Is this possible? Can anyone lead me to a good place to start and any job ideas that might fit my needs?
    Thank you ahead of time!

2. westfam11

westfam11 Member

mom,

You have come to the right place. In this forum there are some very helpful people who will give you honest opinions about lots of different questions you may have.

Your best bet would be a home business, honestly. Just read people's signature lines and see if you find a business or something that interests you.

About the data entry, that is a possibility but I would discourage it if you want to be a full-time mom and be there for your child. I am a medical transcriptionist that has worked out of my home for the last 18 years and even though I was at home I did not get to have the
    quality time that I really wanted and needed with my children.

I have finally found a home business that is going to allow me to quit my job by Christmas, 2008. Now I will have time freedom. My children are 17, 18 and 22 now and even though I was at home I wasn't really totally there for them. Since you are starting out I just wanted to give you my side of the story. If you don't start out chained to the computer with data entry or some other "job" you won't have to miss out, ignore, etc. even when you are home with your child. Others may not agree but I have regretted being a medical transcriptionist at home because of time constraints.

Becky West

3. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Mom,

I agree with Becky - data entry is not the way to go. Furthermore, you won't make $2,000 a month doing so. Similar jobs that require basic computer skills (but not much else) don't pay well either.

If you'd like to make money online, you will have to either decide upon a skilled job or learning about home business aka making money online. That takes a few months minimum to learn, a few more months of experimenting, and a few more months before you might see significant income.

Those new to the game are looking at a minimum of 12 months or more before they experience marginal success. There are always exceptions to the rule, but they are uncommon.

Best of luck in what ever you decide and please feel free to ask questions.

~Newbie Shield~

4. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

Hi Mom,
    Do you enjoy writing?
    You could write reviews, or articles and place an affiliate link in your author's Bio Box.

You could become an affiliate marketer.

There are so many ways to make money online.

I always suggest avoiding the offers that seem to promise the world.

One idea is to go to You Tube and watch some clips about working at home.
    If you find something you are seriously interested in, maybe write a post here in this forum asking how the other members feel about it, or if anyone has had experience with the certain company.

Have fun looking around!

Victoria

5. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Welcome mom

You have gotten some excellent advice here. The only time I have ever seen anyone make a couple thousand a month within their first few months was with something like a direct sales company.

So it is possible... usually the start up with those is higher, but so are the commissions.[​IMG]

Good luck,
    Viola

6. mcarroll

mcarroll New Member

We need to pay our teachers more, My son is autistic and it seems the schools are in need of putting more cash in the teachers pockets for special programs. The money thing, I can help you understand it better. It's free to start. Let me know, I'll send you the information. If anything it will teach you things you might not know.

7. MeaghanM

MeaghanM New Member

Mom,
    I think you should go with your strengths. You are a teacher, so you clearly like working with and educating children. I would finding an online tutoring company to work with. I have tutored only part-time online and made about $400 a week. Obviously this will vary based on the hours and the company that you would use.
    Why do something boring like data entry?
    Good luck!
    Meaghan

8. pcwork

pcwork New Member

mom: . I was thinking 5 hours a day or so. I do not have to make "big" money, I do need to make $2000 a month. Is this possible?
    You can start taking online tuition , many companies hire teachers who work remotely.

9. Carole

Carole New Member

Hi, I left the corporate world after being in the same job for 20 years. I left because after I had my son I found myself exhausted, frustrated with daycare and a boss who didn't understand a sick child, etc.! I'm sure you understand. I spent about 3 months looking for a home based business that was a real job. Check them out carefully and do you due diligence. Good luck.

10. pip87

pip87 New Member

Hi mom,

I would just like to say i was in a very similar situation to yourself!
    I have a 6 month old daughter and the thought of going back to work killed me as i used to work with children and i just felt it wasn't right to look after other people's children and not my own!

I started looking into different online opportunitites more or less as soon as she was born and found one that worked well for me!

I now work from home along side looking after my little girl and i bring in more than i did with my old job!

Hope you find something that works for you too!