Struggling husband, father of 2. Please help me get started.

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by carmad8003, Sep 28, 2010.

1. carmad8003 New Member

Hello my name is Carlos Madrid, I am 23 years old and married to my beautiful wife which gave me my 2 beautiful babies, my daughter is almost 2 years old and my son is 4 months old. I recently lost my job as a manager of operations for a private security company. I worked for the company for 5 years, I helped build it from the ground up, and after all those years there was inside trouble with the owners and they decided to each go their separate ways, which means that left me with no job. I recently began working at my familys tire shop which barely pays, and I have very long hours from 8am to 7pm, 6 days a week. On top of that I work as a security guard with a different security company on the weekends, picking up as many shifts as I can to be able to pay for my familys rent, car bill, utilities, etc. I am the only one that works because we cannot afford to pay a babysitter.

One of the MOST important things in my life, is to spend time with my family and children. As of right now I am working over 90 hrs a week and I only get to spend very few hours with them before they fall asleep at night. My only day off is cherished greatly with them and my wife.

As of right now the little money I have is to put food on our table and keep a roof on our heads. I have bought many programs that promised me "get rich quick", and up to "$1000 a day", and so on. I want a real, honest, program please. I need to help my family get ahead of all this, I am willing and able to spend any time I need on a real program to help me and my family.

Thank you in advance for all your help. May God bless you.
  2. 4pointgroup New Member

I am also new at this but one thing I have learnt is if you are going to do work from home you need to have a plan and a really good mentor. A mentor will help you with every aspect of your plan and help you to grow.

Without mentioning my business, the one thing that attracted me was the support from multiple members of the team. Though I have only been in it for 1 month, they gave me leads to call and a script to use. This is helping me to grow, and that is a big part of earning from an online business.

That does not say that you should join my business, as there are a few out there that do have mentoring support. Just remember that a mentor and a direction will go a long way to helping you.
  3. FreeCashMan Active Member

A good support system is good, but one really needs to have a plan to work their home business to be successful.

Many people that start their home business are doing it from a part-time basis, and to be successful with the "right" opportunity you want to make sure you apply your Home Business Time (HBT). You've got to define the time you will "go to work" on your business like you would a job if not success can and will be far reaching.

Develop and establish marketing game plan and apply it accordingly with your HBT
  4. The Cynergist New Member

It sounds like you'll also need to get on your feet financially to be able to even invest in a work from home programme.

You have to think about your health too. It seems like the long hours you put in keeps you from even being able to recharge your brain with proper sleep, so how will you be able to put your mind to a business venture? Has your wife thought of maybe taking in other children to help finance a venture, and maybe to allow you to ease up on your hours?
  5. koolmom New Member

I put at least 6 hours a day into learning website development and SEO--for over a year. There are no easy and fast solutions, however, I now bill over $20. an hour and am working over 40 hours a week.

Since I chose an ever-changing field of work, I have to constantly be on the alert to stay in the forefront of the industry. This means that I am always reading, researching new methods and learning new software, experimenting and keeping an eye out for the next BIG social media site.

You are already putting in a lot of hours--do you really have time to devote to this? It cannot be done in a couple of hours a week.

I have to say that I really admire your commitment to taking care of your family. God will bless that.

Lynn
  6. TJamMoneyMan Active Member

carmad8003: As of right now I am working over 90 hrs a week
    You really have to do something about that schedule.

I once worked security, where people routinely put in 80+ hours - a result of the low hourly wage.

Sure, they earned a lot, but paid for it with their health.
    Obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, hospital stays - the works!
    To say nothing of failed marriages and family relationships.

You won't have time for ANYTHING else on a schedule like that.

And if your health goes down the tubes, what will you have time for then?

I hope you can find a way.
    Good luck to you!
  7. weebitty Member

Carlos you are to be admired for wanting the best for you family and trying to give it to them. however you cannot do it alone!! You wife has to pitch in something. Like taking in child care that way she stays home with her kids and gets paid for taking care of others. If you want to build a business maybe you can do it together then it is not on you for all of it. She can learn it to and you both can do it together. teach her how to research some things and what you can spend and how much time you can devote to it together. There is nothing saying she can't do the business too. If you get sick or your health goes down you have nothing my friend and neither does your family. So look for something you two can do together. All business take time to build and you have to remember that. Find out what you would enjoy doing how much of a budget you have and figure out together how much time you can devote to it between the two of you. I hope I have given you some ideas here. If you have more questions just ask we will answer them for you. Also have a wonderful Christmas with you and your family. God Bless you and yours.
  8. JimSulfridge New Member

carmad8003

Hi Carlos!

There are alot of get rich quick schemes out there that promise you the moon.
    There are also alot of legit home-based business opportunities out there.
    Just make sure that whatever company you go with, you don't invest more money than you can afford. Also, I would look for one that has a money back guarantee.
  9. Shanec New Member

You need to realize that there are no ways to earn very much money online in a short period of time and anyone promising you can is a scam. It takes time, effort, and money to start an online business just like a brick and mortar business.

keep with it, find what you love to do and the money will start coming in.

Good Luck!
  10. JanHickling New Member

Sometimes it takes a lot of pain to force us to take a new action. Sound like you're there.

1) Don't believe it if it sounds too good to be true.

2) Choose something - a product or service you are interested in yourself. You must become the expert - the go-to guy. So you better like what you're talking about because you'll be spending a lot of time doing just that.

3) Find what works for you. Not everybody is a good writer, video-grapher, speaker ect. but everybody is good a something. Find that and use it to build your business. At sometime you might want to take on the more challenging marketing plans but don't set yourself up for too much too soon.

4) My Personal Favorite Don't Give Up Before the Miracle. Network marketing is very difficult and rewarding. Don't let the tough times make you walk. Keep on going. The good times will make you forget all all the bad in seconds.

Good Luck - Jan Hickling
  11. kane1976 New Member

Hello carlos, it's been a few months since you added your post, so maybe you have found a way to quit your gruelling job. If not though then i would highly recommend that you setup a blog and add as many income streams to it as possible. For example, clickbank products, google adsense, infolinks. Blogs are money makers for sure if you know how to work them. Good luck!
  12. anthony2313 New Member

Carlos

I would look for a low cost solution like affiliate marketing.
    you don't have to invest alot of money to do affiliate marketing.
    If thats a route you would like to go then I would recommended you
    study Ewen Chia or Rosalind Gardner. There affiliate marketing masters.
  13. larochelle New Member

Carlos

You've received a few comments here already and all good advice! What a great bunch of people in this forum!!!

I understand exactly where your coming from having been in a similar situation myself, and I really wish you the best of luck.

I can imagine that, like me you have looked around on the search engines for ways to make extra money and seen all the crazy offers that are out there, I can tell you that I have been doing that for six or seven years until I found something that I really did felt was firstly for real and something I could cope with doing in my already busy schedule.

I found a great mentor that shows you every single small step that is required to get yourself started, and he didn't want me to remortgage my house to help me either. I am new at this but I think that we all need help to get started, kind of to help us break the whole thing down into small pieces and teach us step by step.

There are several good mentors out there who all seem to have there own way of doing things and for me it was a case of choosing the one that did things in a way I was comfortable with.

Good luck, take good care of yourself .... so you can take good care of that family.

Best wishes
    Jason
  14. RICH4NURICHE New Member

Carlos i suggest writing out a simple plan like the others mentioned. It is very important. Some good advice but only you know the details of your situation and will need to research what you feel may fit what your looking for. I recommend looking for something that can earn you retail income so you can receive quick income and then supplement that with residual income later on. Do your diligence and also by coming to this forum you got off to a good start. And yes, find someone who will mentor you. It's very important to know the fundamentals in whatever you choose. Anything else you need to contact us. We're here for each other.
  15. bhuff85 New Member

I'm assuming Carlos may have already found something different since he hasn't been back here since?

Nonetheless, for anyone struggling, I would first suggest trying to find work locally and work online in your free time. While there have been people who have made quick cash online, someone with little to no knowledge is going to have a tough time turning nothing to something in a matter of days. Wild success stories of people doing this are so slim, yet we get pitched these stories daily, which is why many people buy into the hype.

Making money online takes time. Learn as much as you can. You're going to make mistakes, too. The real difference is how much you learn from those mistakes. Pick one method and stick to it, rather than jumping from one thing to the next. Eventually, with consistency, you'll finally start to see a nice return (and even some cash, too). And that's what it's really all about!

Remember - if you don't have much experience, don't turn to the internet in critical situations, especially when you have a family to take care of. Get another job, if possible, while working on your internet biz in your free time. It's the smartest way in order to survive.
  16. paulb1 New Member

Carlos:

You must first decide if working from home is something you really really want to do for you and your family. If that is the case, you must take on the positive mindset that nothing on earth is going to stop you. It all begins in your mind and then actions. I suggest you read the book "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. Don't read it once, continue to read over and over, it should greatly aid you to achieve whatever you want. There is a way and if you want it bad enough you will find it.
    May God continue to bless you and your family.
    Paul
  17. Jose Roman New Member

bhuff85

I couldn't have said it better myself. Great advise.
  18. MattL New Member

Forget the get rich quick programs and lower your expectations a bit.

First, math.

1. Set a yearly income goal. Shoot for something realistic, like $50k.
    2. Divide that by 50 (work weeks). $1k per week.
    3. Divide that by the number of hours you're willing to work. 70 is reasonable, however, it's a bit low for a small business owner. Now we're at $14.28 per hour.

If I wanted to hit that number $(14.28) and get serious experience in the online world, I would offer writing and editing services.
    [IMG]