The transition from working full time to working from home

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by adamcm, Jul 22, 2010.

1. adamcm New Member

Hi all,

I currently work full time at a decent job, but i've began looking into my options. I do affiliate marketing on the side and have had a bit of success but nothing to consider sufficient for a living. I would really like to move onto working at home as I think i'd enjoy life in general much more than I currently do.

I have been thinking of perhaps taking the affiliate marketing concept further, but its hard when you are not an expert to take such a risk. I have also thought of running my own online retail store using the SEO techniques learned from affiliate marketing. Is this the approach that many take when moving into a work at home? I wouldn't mind hearing stories of how others have made out when moving from full time 8-5 to home work.

Thanks!
  2. annalaurab New Member

What about getting a part time job and then working your business as if you were full time? That is what I do although I originally had 2 part time jobs and was laid off from one so I didn't have much of a choice. That said it has been great. One thing I did is that even though my business is mostly online, I started going to offline networking groups and meeting other business owners. You can also expand to offering your services to offline businesses and you will find many that will take you up on it.
  3. Matt Zenittini Silver Member

I started off with network marketing and learned affiliate marketing.

Now I am happily doing both =].

The best advice I can give is do what you are passionate about.

If you are passionate about an online storefront, do that. I think most people come online and don't really do anything. The ones who succeed definitely do the things they are passionate about.

You can make any business out of any idea. You don't have to limit yourself to affiliate marketing or network marketing.

If you create content websites and drive traffic you can make tons of money.

If you create successful online storefronts you can make tons of money.

If you think of a piece of software to make peoples lives easier you can make tons of money.

If you advertise other peoples products for them you can make tons of money.

It all comes down to your ability to market whatever it is you are selling or promoting and your desire to take action.

The internet is no different than real life in that sense =].

Best of Luck!

Matt
  4. Running an online Business to make a full time income is the same as running an offline Business.

It takes a lot of time and commitment.

The learning curve is huge and no doubt you have read the stories of people making many mistakes and wrong decisions on the way.

If you are already making a part time income, that is great.

I would advise you to keep your job until you are earning a substantial amount of money online.

Find a mentor and learn from them.
  5. pjordan520 New Member

Have you read "The Bum Marketing Method'? It's one of the things that helped me the most to learn Affiliate Marketing. The guy that wrote it is a full time Affiliate Marketer who makes around $3,000 a month. Click the 'how to make money online' link in my sig if you're interested in furthering your Affiliate Marketing... the guide is free btw. [IMG]