Trouble uploading installing a script...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by haiden, Feb 5, 2012.

1. haiden

haiden New Member

Hi guys.

Not sure this is in the proper section. Anyway, just purchased a new domain/hosting. I grabbed a php script called "Dolphin 7.0.9"(From BoonEx), and I am trying to install it. I have the zip file and extracted it to my local drive, then I copied everything in the folder to "/public_html". From what I understand, and as I have done before, all I had to do was go to sitename.com/install/index.php, and it would run the install. But for some reason this is not working. I get the following error in my browser:

"Page not found
    The page you are looking for might have been removed,
    had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

The hosting I am using is the same I got the new domain from, Netfirm. In the CPanel there's no option to install this directly.

lol, Sorry, did this make sense to anyone? What I am trying to install, in case someone is wondering, is a script for a social network site. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I've pretty much got how to put together a site doing all my own coding. But I wanted to try a package like this. Again, forgive if I am a doofus and this is not something people like to help on.
  2. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

haiden: sitename.com/install/index.php
    Use an FTP program (like FileZilla) to see what files and directories you have.
    Make sure you are spelling it correctly, such as capital letters or not.
    Also check the file permissions, which you can change with FileZilla.
    Could be the file is there but not accessible to a browser.
    Usually something little and obvious, which is the last thing we look for.
  3. haiden

haiden New Member

Ugh, apparently the hosting I have does not allow the use of .exe files. They do specify that FREE hosting does not allow for these, that is all it states. I do not have free hosting, its paid for. So I assumed I could use the .exe files on their servers. It says nothing, that I can see when I first got the hosting, about it being on a "shared platform". Then they tried to, after I wished to cancel my hosting, take my domain name, even though I PAID for it. Well, I finally got my domain back after pointing this out to them, which they initially tried to argue. Idiots. It was funny because they stated I could not get my domain back unless I could show them proof. And when I looked at my receipt, it did not specify what was paid for. Just showed the total. Good thing I'm a stubborn bastard.

Anyway, looking for decent hosting , VPS, that isn't going to cost me a liver to try out for a month. Oh, and when I found a really good price, when through the ordering process... it said in my status "fraud", wtf? This is starting to annoy me. -.-
  4. haiden

haiden New Member

Woot! I managed to find a bloke who does this type of thing, installing scripts. He did it for just $5!! AND he walked me through HOW to do it, so now I'm pretty much a master. :cool

The guy who helped me was on a site that people do stuff for just $5, lol. He was AMAZING. In total he worked for me for like 4 hrs! ALL FOR THE SAME PRICE. What he told me that the reason he did it all for such a low cost, was because how much passion/interest I expressed. Always asking questions, etc. Omg, I can't believe how much I love this stuff, lol. Seriously, I always thought because I had no formal education, I'd be stuck with some crappy job, where I got no respect, which has/is been the case for just about all my working career.

Also, I realized I could make money from doing installs! Well, the man is giving me further training (free of charge, up to 1 hr each day!). We chat on Skype when the lessons take place. He says he is impressed with how fast I am learning. *tear* Nobody has ever told me anything but I'm "stupid", lol. Mind you, these work construction guys who said because I did not pick something up straight away, I was a retard. Guess they never heard the old saying , something about a student does not fail; it is the teacher who fails, or whatever. I believe this, to a point of course. If you have someone calling you stupid all day, making you feel worthless, you are not going to learn very well. Ive never had someone who I worked for treat me as an equal before. This is why, if ever I am helping anyone with anything, I have patience, and treat them properly. Other wise why waste time? They will not learn quickly like that.

Sorry for the long post, its been a long couple weeks. I have gotten like 4 hrs of sleep in the passed 2 days. Maybe time for sleep soon....