Trying to start

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by MrPlanters, Aug 13, 2011.

1. MrPlanters New Member

Hey, my name is William and I am new here.
    I will go right into what I'm interested though. I have a hobby and interest for computers, this includes hardware and some software. I'm no programmer or anything but I do have knowledge of many products on computers that I would love to share with people. I looked at the What is Affiliate Marketing topic, something like that, and it said you could start with little to no money. This sounds perfect.
    I understand that I won't make a fortune right away, but down the road I could make a living with it??
    So what I found is that I have used the website newegg.com, for all of my hardware purchases and I love their service.
    My main question is where do I go from here?? I'm lost as I'm sure many of you were when you started.

Thank you for any and all tips!! William G.
  2. Just2EZ Gold Member

MrPlanters
    Well, since you are an egghead you could be a newegg affiliate and make 2.5%
    That is not much and would take a lot of volume to replace your J.O.B. income.
    It's also a very saturated and mature market so getting on page 1 is tough.
    I would recommend helping local (old) folks with their computers for quick cash.
    Learn to build websites/blogs and help others in your area do the same.
    Then you can plug in your affiliate links and make a little extra there.
    For residual income you might consider website re-seller hosting also.
    It does take time to replace a steady income so just get started now.
    You can earn as you learn to earn even more.
  3. MrPlanters New Member

I didn't think that sounded like very much but I figured to build upon it. I was thinking about starting a website, and being an affiliate for them, I would also offer services such as custom computers and technical support. I know it's a crowded market but I live in a rural town and figured maybe I could start here and create a good reputation if I ever moved.
    What exactly is website re-seller hosting? It sounds obvious, but when I googled it, it only shows companies for it.
    Sorry if I ask too many questions, just trying my best to understand everything. I have been reading a lot of posts on here and I hope I can be as helpful one day to people as you guys are to many newcomers.
  4. Just2EZ Gold Member

MrPlanters: Sorry if I ask too many questions,
    Quite the contrary, you are helping a lot of people who are afraid to ask but read.
    Re-seller hosting is where you rent a server, or space on one, and then re-sell it.
    Say you rent 1000 GB (shared) for $100/yr then re-sell 100 sites of 10GB for $25/yr = $2,500/yr.
    Many of the the people will want you to create and maintain the website for them.
    You can get away with charging them whatever you want per page or item.
    Your $100 investment can easily turn into $10,000 of revenue or more per year.
    The more you charge the less you have to sell so don't short change yourself.
    There are many small businesses wanting a web presence and you can help.
    Helping them create a FaceBook fan page can pay you well and is easy.

MrPlanters: I live in a rural town
    Me too, sort of, 3-5 million tourists pass through each year.
    I did affiliate marketing for local businesses on my sites for years.
    That led to doing sites for local businesses which led to hosting them.
    My oldest son followed in my footsteps, or more like passed me long ago.[IMG]
    We've done sites for artists, tour companies, resorts, realtors, contractors, boot makers?, retail stores, personal blogs, etc+++...
    Your possibilities are limited only by your willingness to Learn.
    Most of all, have fun doing what you enjoy and make it pay.
  5. MrPlanters New Member

That sounds simple enough, I guess I just made it more complicated in my mind than what it is. You honestly just boosted my hopes.
    On top of expanding my computer knowledge in my area, I could go buy a couple books, or even get them from a library and learn about website developing, coding, programming even maybe? And earn off that, is this what you are saying.
  6. Just2EZ Gold Member

MrPlanters: I could go buy a couple books
    And the authors thank you! But you can find all you need on giggle, er google.
    You want a website so instead of renting one, get a (cheap) re-seller package.
    Most will come with Fantastico and built in WordPress installer which is a good starter.
    You can also install stores, forums, mailing lists, auto-responders, etc.
    It can be a bit overwhelming if you look at all the options so take it slow.
    You also have access to all sorts of traffic reports which are priceless for SEO.
    Starting with your own WordPress site will save you learning time and money.
    There are lists of members favorite WordPress plug-ins on this forum.
  7. MrPlanters New Member

Thank you for all your help. I am looking at HostGator now, just a quick google search. I don't plan on starting today, I know I'm gonna research the forum a little bit more, see what people use and what they recommend and work from there. Thank you again [IMG] [IMG]
  8. Just2EZ Gold Member

9. mountainmom5 Gold Member

Here is something that would probably work for you...

1) set up a hostgator account ( $9 a month) Forget about all the doodaddies on there and go straight for the Fantastico, which will allow you to upload as many wordpress sites as you wish to.

2) Find some of the hottest selling software and hardware items on Amazon... set up your wordpress site and start writing reviews on Amazon items. .. linking back to Amazon, of course...

TIP: Stick with items that are over $100 and preferably the $1000 ones, as Amazon only pays a 4% commission when you first start out, so you need bigger ticket items.

3) Once you get the hang of writing reviews there is no limit to the sites you can set up.

Of course learning about keywords and seo will be a learning curve for you, but unless you start somewhere, you will never learn. And google knows almost anything if you just ask it. [IMG]

There is a youtube video out there on almost everything you want to know about. Cheers! [IMG]
  10. Just2EZ Gold Member

Just2EZ: Say you rent 1000 GB (shared) for $100/yr then re-sell 100 sites of 10GB for $25/yr
    That should probably say rent 10GB for $100/yr and resell 100x 100MB sites for $25/yr.
    The average web page is about 1 MB, photos or video can boost that dramatically.
    Most local business owners only want 5-10 pages plus images so 100MB is plenty.

I agree with MtnMom about just starting with your own affiliate product review site.
    Although it doesn't have to be a review, it can be helpful hints for that product too.
    Same goes for hardware or software reviews, people want added value.
    What may seem simple to you can be worth a fortune to others.
    One free tip can make the difference between sale and no sale.