U.S.A. Taxes For Overseas Affiliates?

Discussion in 'Accounting and Legal Advice' started by David, Mar 3, 2009.

1. David

David New Member

Hi,
    As an affiliate residing overseas, (Australia) I hope to be receiving affiliate checks from U.S. affiliate programs. What U.S. tax rates am I likely to have to pay? Would there be a tax free threshold and if so how much?

David

2. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi David,

It will depend on the company you sign up with as an affiliate. Some of them will accept a declaration that you are a non US affiliate with no US activities and therefore won't take any taxes out of your earnings.

You'll still have to consider Australian taxes though. If I remember correctly, you can earn up to $50,000 per year in Australia as a "hobby" without having to pay tax on it. So, if you have an offline job and are just doing this on the side, you could probably classify it as a hobby.

Also, last time I checked, you can earn about $30,000 in network marketing in Australia without paying tax on it.

Those numbers may be different now. It's best to check on it yourself. [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Angie

3. ankor34

ankor34 New Member

wow, I did not realize that you could make so much money off the books in AU. Thats amazing you could own like ten businesses and make a million dollars completely off the books and pay yourself like $5k a year and completely avoid taxes altogether.

4. jillc55

jillc55 New Member

Hi, I am thinking of joining an affilliate program in the USA and I live in Canada. Can anyone tell me if I really need a employer ID number.
    I will be paying taxes in Canada on any earnings.

Thanks in advance to all who may be able to help me.

Regards, Jill

5. Marco Casario

Marco Casario New Member

I'm living abroad, working online and getting paid through Paypal. Early this year, I filed my ITR and was asked to present a form from Paypal that I was paid through them and received such and such an amount. When I contacted Paypal, they said that they will only be issueing such a statement to U.S. based accounts which I do not have. My account is through Paypal Singapore. I sent this response to my accountant in the U.S. and so he finally agreed to do my taxes. I would like to know if I will encounter the same problem next year so I'm asking...anyone?