Use Your Hobbies and Talents to Make Money

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by RedRobin, Aug 30, 2005.

1. RedRobin New Member

Hello Everyone,
    Do you have a hobby or a special talent? If so, you might be able to turn this hobby or talent in to a work at home job.
    I like to type, and love to talk to people, so I looked through the Guru.com offerings, chose some that looked interesting, and bid on them. I have done a couple of reading and typing projects, and made some money.
    I also like to research on the Internet. There are jobs available writing articles and how-to type books that take a little Internet research.
    Another activity I like to do is music. If you look on the Internet, you may abe able to find a company to publish your music. You might even find music performance jobs at some sites. One of the ways I use my music talent is by teaching music lessons. I specialize in piano and voice lessons, but can do other instruments, also. This is
    one of those areas where you need to do some advertising and building of a client base, but its a great way to work from your home.
    Has anyone out there turned their hobby or talent in to a business?
    Please share your ideas with us.
    RedRobin
  2. mrworkathome New Member

Yes,

This is a great time to be a freelancer. I have several friends who pay people $200 to $400 to ghostwrite books on various subjects for them. If you are both a good researcher and a good writer, then this can be a great way to earn extra money.

Another growing market is for article writers. There are many people who will give you simple instructions to follow to write a search engine friendly article. The going rate last I checked was $8 to $15 per article (less if you do a run of say 15 to 30 articles).

But don't get the impression that freelancing is just for writers, artists, and creative types. You can freelance in just about every type of work you can think of these days.
  3. WhitePhoenix New Member

I am currently picking up writing jobs as a freelancer. But, as in most things, it takes time and effort to build a resume that encourages other offers.

The work can be sporadic, and while it occasionally pays quite well, you know the old advice, 'Don't quit your day job'... at least until you can build a regular client list - which is another issue.

But be aware of those wanting services that are hesitant about paying a portion of the work up front. Usually, it's expected to ask for half up front and the other half upon delivery. I've been burned before, after spending many hours on various projects. Just be firm or pass it by if they balk about that.
  4. hypercybertyper New Member

I too have become an online writer. I originally intended to offer online clerical support and be a virtual assistant but after bidding for projects on a few sites, I got many writing projects. I have only done one typing assignment so far!

I have edited web-copy. Written slogans, articles and web-copy. I do lots of research and am about to write my first novel! I love it and wish I had started 20 years ago! Nice to meet others in similar situations. Before I started freelancing, I literally surfed the web looking for opportunities and I found that they are mostly scams.

I totally refused to pay for anything. However, I have now become involved in an MLM of all things! Being a great big skeptic, I have surprised even myself! But I know people in the programme and I feel totally confident that if we all work together we can help each other and make a fantastic success of this.

Not only am I meeting new clients via this programme, I am also learning one hell of a lot. I have now got access to many internet marketing tools (that usually cost $$$$$$$$s) and I have never felt better about paying for something upfront. I have even made my own web site for the first time.

Never say never... it's never too late to take the bull by the horns!
  5. Kevin Peterson New Member

I used my hobbies and interests to create an eBay business. I sell informational CDs that I create at home. The profit is good and the competition is not too fierce to succeed.

Anything you are an expert at can be made into a business.
  6. Kevcon New Member

hello Kevin
    My hobbies are building things out of wood ( children toyboxes, shoe racks, dvd and cd holders,etc)
    This is what I set out to do , selling my products on e-bay then later setting up an website , ( hopeing to develop into a good business) BUT!
    I let myself get talked into takeing a different path.Only now starting to get myself back on track , with building more products.
    I may not be an expert, but my products are very nice, ( if i do say so myself)
    Do you think there will be a market for my wood products or are there to many out there already.
  7. krismonzales New Member

hi! im also a freelance writer though i have just started few months ago.. i am looking for a freelance job that would suit my skills. i can write articles / researches but im not good at feature writing.. please help me find a job.. im a student and needs a part-time job. [IMG]
  8. Looking New Member

My hobbies are Surfinh the web (I'm sure there's no freelance job for this) and making web pages.
  9. gregriv69 New Member

I am also working as a freelance write. I love writing and reading. I am enjoying my job.
  10. pyan New Member

Hi everyone, it would be nice if we can be at home and earn some cash. I belief that is everyone dream to achieve that kind of living.Have any one try any good programme that are proven for us to earn some cash?
  11. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Quoting: RedRobinDo you have a hobby or a special talent? If so, you might be able to turn this hobby or talent in to a work at home job.

That's what I do. I am well versed in music. I have two degrees in Information Technology. I love to watch movies and read. I love animals - especially cats. I have fun making money from my hobbies. Is there any other way?

[IMG]

Newbie Shield
  12. juno44444 New Member

Yes I already do. Poetry and Phtography.
  13. aplina New Member

am using mu ideas and interest l have created asite with acompany(SBI) that believes in me. l donot need to know html to build the site. coz .
  14. Richie_N New Member

Hey there,

It wouldn't necessarily consider to be a full time or even a part time job, but there are ways to supplement your income, where you can just kick back and not work hard to generate some extra money in your pocket. Have you tried contributing content for sites like Associated Content, Helium, or even eHow? Usually, those sites allow to you earn infinitely as long as your content is on the site, but there are obviously better sites than others that pay more efficiently. I think the key is to write things on what people are looking for, content that are resourceful and engaging. If you have any questions about eHow, don't hesitate to ask me.
  15. mirab New Member

I have a landscaping websites that I promote to try and earn extra money. It is something I love to do so it makes it easy to do. However, it is real hard to get traffic because of the competition in this field is fierce! You have to dig an inch wide but a mile deep to find a niche or a way to get traffic to your site and buy what you have to offer.
  16. dani_nae New Member

wow I just checked out that guru.com and its really cool!!! thanks for the link!!! I am a writer and a makeup artist so I know how tough it can be to find freelance work in a plummeting economy!
  17. HobbiesMann New Member

I have turned a few of my hobbies into money making by blogging about them and sharing experiences and know-how. It rocks.

I never thought, although I did dream, I would make money from my hobbies but I have found that I can talk all day compared to the way I was struggling to make money in other niches.

YeeeHaaaaw for hobbies.
  18. d_henderson1810 New Member

I don't mind writing either. But I find that I am more an "ideas" man. I have plots for a TV series and three movies, plus I have a lot of other creative ideas. I am more about the "initial concept" and then having others "shape" that concept for me.