Want to spend more time with my kids

Discussion in 'Work at Home Moms' started by tiredofmyjob, Feb 2, 2009.

1. tiredofmyjob

tiredofmyjob New Member

I currently have a stay at home job, I've had it for 13 years. Its completely exhausting, I work 12 hours a day. I have found ways to make more money but then I'm just killing myself. My kids are pre-teen and teenage now.
    My job requires my attention non stop from 6 am - 6 pm. If I want to go to the store, can't go during the day. I have to wait until the weekend. If I want to go on vacation, I freak out.
    I'm so super stressed and my kids are growing up, I spend all my time with my business and I need to find another direction for myself so I'm not so stressed and have more time for my kids.
    My husband has a job but he doesn't make near what I make.
    Feeling really down, if you have any advice, i'd love to hear it.
  2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

What do you do at home right now? Sounds pretty stressful but it will help us know what tips to throw your way if we have some idea what you are doing already...

Welcome to the forum by the way.[​IMG]
  3. tiredofmyjob

tiredofmyjob New Member

I run a Daycare & thanks
  4. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Oh wow - no wonder you are tired! I have four kids still at home myself...

Have you looked into a lot of things online? Like, enough to realize there are a variety of ways that people make money??

I have done a variety of things myself like home based business, where you pay to get into a business of some sort, and believe me, there is anything available. I am still part of a travel one and also health and wellness company...

With those you basically target the people that , like yourself are looking for a way to work at home and if they get started in business with you - or 'under you' you get paid a bonus for signing them up and also you make commissions off of what they sell as far as products....

I know I am being very basic here but am trying to paint a small picture of the vast world of internet marketing!

I mostly do affiliate marketing right now as I like to work online and I like to write - and with affiliate stuff you can simply promote what you want to - and as many different products or services you want to - and make commissions with it. ... with very little overhead cost.

I think for me the biggest difference between mlm or network marketing (which is how most home based businesses work) and affiliate marketing is that with one you have to deal with people and with the other you don't...

As much as I like people, I like to write articles and blogs and then have commissions pop into my clickbank account. [​IMG]

I know others may have different ways to compare the two but that is how it has been for me.

However - none of them will make you rich overnight! You would be wise to keep your daycare while you get your feet wet with online stuff till you kinda have a handle on it and start making some money...Ya, you may have to burn the candle on both ends for awhile... [​IMG]

I hope that helps a wee bit and didn't confuse you all the more!
  5. tiredofmyjob

tiredofmyjob New Member

yes, its pretty exhausting esp. because good help is impossible to find. people that want to work for me always turn out to have an a motive.

it would be a lot easier if i could trust someone so i can step away and take a breather & i find that no one is willing to work as hard as i do. maybe i'm just old school.

i have done 1 stay at home job before with west but that proved to be a huge waste of time, the only thing i really liked about it was the flexibility and that i could create my own hours and then change them at the last minute.

i'm def. interested in another stay at home job but it won't be something involving me to pay anything so i can attain the job.

it sound like there are tons of possibilites but am wary of the scams. i do agree that i will be working both for a while until i really get one off the ground. finding out what that other money maker is will be the key.
  6. Rosie1

Rosie1 New Member

I am so sorry to hear about your dilema. Let me tell ya, I used to do full time daycare for 2 years for only 3 kids(one was my own) and it was exhausting. I made myself sick from the stress. They are long days and the 1 parent walked all over me. Blah, I was to nice. I feel your pain. I have a friend who does daycare but runs it more like a preschool. Mostly for moms who stay at home with their kids and work part-time. She does 2 sessions per day Monday,Tues,Friday. And all the kids are to picked up by 4.

You should put a resume out on Monster/Career Builder. I get calls from mine-my resume specifically states work at home positions or telecommute.

I wish you all the luck!!
  7. tiredofmyjob

tiredofmyjob New Member

the parents can be rough, i'm dealing with one now. it never ends. i love the kids, the kids are amazing but its the bs rules and lack of support that really gets me.
    thats a really good idea, i'm right across the street from an elementary school and we just started handing out flyers last night. i want to only really do pre-school and latch key by the fall. the money can be GREAT if i really put myself into it but its like a black hole.
    I've been working so hard raising other people's kid, that i'm missing out on my kids lives. thats the hardest part, i miss my boys so much!
    can you tell me more about the jobs you got offered by posting your resume on monster? can you give me an idea of what the jobs were, the pay, etc.
  8. Rosie1

Rosie1 New Member

I know. Sometimes its the parents, not the kids. I love kids too, I mean where else do you get to work where you don't hugs and love all day!(well most of the day[​IMG]

I found, with watching kids, the hardest part to give up was my summer fun with my son. So, I don't blame you for wanting to be just doing pre-school or latch-key by the fall time[​IMG]

The responses that I have gotten from my resume have varied. Anywhere from sales, tele-marketing, to personal assistant. I have 3 resumes posted for different "things" that I could help an employer with. One of them being, medical billing which is what I used to do before I had my son. So, the money for each position also varies. It doesn't hurt to put one out there. The worst you can say when they call or email is no, not interested at this time.

Be wary of scams though, they are everywhere! My thought is, if I have to "pay" for a job, I dont want it and if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. [​IMG]
    I always do my research.
  9. tiredofmyjob

tiredofmyjob New Member

totally agree with you rosie, the little research i've done has shown me that i need to be very careful.
    i can't keep going like this and the crazy part is that sometimes a parent will call me, not even meet me and drop off their kid for daycare?!
    Daycare used to be about helping parents, partnershiping with parents...now I do all the work. I don't want to and do everything i can to get parent to participate in their child's upbringing but they just don't really care.
    I love all the little hugs, i love seeing a child change, i even love the tough times but i'm giving these parents something irreplacable and they have no idea or have no idea how to appreciate me or support me. i got comments today like, you look tired. really?! eesh.
    i have to consult my husband on how to write a resume, i've never even considered that but who knows, maybe something will come up. thanks so much for the advice and for listening to me vent!
  10. Rosie1

Rosie1 New Member

I know what you mean about the partnershipping. Its so hard to find the right child/parent combo these days[​IMG]

Not a problem about the venting part! My husband hates hearing me vent anyway, that's why I get on here. LOL!

Let me know if I can be of any help. Good Luck!
  11. diane622

diane622 New Member

I too did daycare back in 1997. I did it for six months because it is such exhausting work. I pictured it being so wonderful spending the day with a bunch of innocent little ones, ha!

Anyway, I now much say I enjoy the work at home job that I have now. I do general transcription from home as an independent contractor for two companies located in the United States. I type things like interviews, speeches, reports, etc. Companies are very legitimate, nice to work with, great pay and hours can be flexible depending on the company. If you'd like more info, feel free to PM me.

Good luck, and here's hoping you get a break!
  12. Julsy

Julsy New Member

tiredofmyjob... I feel your pain! I have been right where you are girlfriend! I think years ago it wasn't half as bad as it is now because, especially with kids these days everything has to be so politically correct as far as even being able to make rules and discipline in your own home. I got to the point that I just couldn't do it anymore. We finally got to a place where I didn't need to bring in an income anymore, but now things are getting really tough for us with my hubby's company, so in the last 6 months I have tried several things in the net trying to earn an income.

There are so many ligit options out there, but for me, I wanted something very simple. I tried a gifting program that was a good system, but the owners didn't respond to e-mails and the site was down half the time, so I gave up on that one. The best thing that I have found is a Matrix system. There are several good ones going right now (there are threads about them even on here, where you can hear everything that people have to say about the different ones). These systems are the simplest because all you have to do is get people to join and you make a residual income every month. Now, I will tell you that any Matrix does take time to fill up, but the good ones usually move pretty fast, so in other words within 6 months or so, you could be completely replacing your income just by recruiting a few people for yourself and then making sure that the people you recruit are also recruiting as they should be, and even helping recruit for them when you have you people. So, if this sounds like something you think you can do, I suggest checking out all the different ones that people have started threads about on this forum and choosing the one that sounds best to you. I will be honest and tell you that I think I am with the best one, LOL! Mainly because of the teamwork. All leaders have even been asked to stop promoting for themselves and promote for their downlines until everyone in your downline is making profit. This is the first business I have ever been in that has this kind of attitude that we all work together to make us all succeed!

Anyway, just thought I would add my 2 cents about what I have found that works best for me. But again, there is a thread about almost everything on the net on this forum and it's best to check them all out and see what success others have had and also how well the admin's, of any business your looking at, get back to e-mails and how well they handle any problems.

I wish you all the best!
  13. bdkfreedom

bdkfreedom New Member

Daycare=Yikes!

My mother did daycare in our home for 17 years! She had a minimum of 12 kids daily anywhere from newborn to 4 years old! Believe me,it was absolutely craziness in our house all the time! But anywho, she gave up on doing daycare last year when I introduced her on how to make money online. You don't have to be a genius by any means and there are soo many people out there to help you...especially people in this forum! My mom now loves what she does for a living, affiliate marketing! She only is putting in a couple hours a day in the morning and actually enjoying the rest of her day by going to the gym, meeting up with friends, shopping, etc.! She absolutely loves what she does now and calls me everyday to thank me on introducing the idea to her! She had never even been on a computer before i tought her! Anyways, if there is anyway I can help you in your case, don't be afraid to ask! PM me if you would like!
  14. tiredofmyjob

tiredofmyjob New Member

im not into e-mailing stuff or pyramid schemes. sorry ladies, it has to be a straight forward deal. i work, then its over. no advertising, no calling friends or family...nothing like that.
  15. Laila

Laila New Member

Hi Tiredofmyjob
    Tell me what your stay at home job is all about. I seem to be stuck in a similar situation as you except my husband earns all the money and I don't.
    Regards
    Laila
  16. lavendersluv

lavendersluv New Member

triedofmyjob,

Sorry to hear things are getting stressful, I don't understand you said you are tried of the stress and long hours I can relate believe I have children as well if you go from one job to another job how will that give you more time with you family. You are still tried to x amount of hours daily. Sure it may not be 12, but trading 8 for 12 can be less stress or will it.

The only way you will truly have more time, more freedom to do activities with your family is by starting a home business. You set the hours, you decide if you are going to work that day or not or 1, 2 hours. You are the one in control.

I work outside the home now and I hate it, I am building a home business now so I can get out of the rat race. I know you are not interested in network marketing/MLM or direct sales but that really is the best option it will give you the leverage, time and freedom you are looking for, best of luck to you.

Michelle

P.S. By the way, the above mentioned are not pyramids schemes, the network marketing/MLM industry has been around for a long time over 40+ years many don't give it a chance because they don't take the time to educate themselves first. I don't bother friends or family they are customers only because not business partners.
  17. Julsy

Julsy New Member

I completely agree with you lavendersluv! And the system that I use is even providing the downlines for people so you don't even need to advertise. I never talk to family and friends about my business and I have gotten most of my downline from just talking to people on the internet on forums like this. I am great at talking with people, so it's not even like I am actually advertising anyway.

MLM is definately the way to go if you truly want to make a good residual income and not be tied down to an actual "job"! You just HAVE to know that the MLM you get into is definately legit! The one I am with is like no other that I have been in and I have been in many. I have never been in any busness before on the net where I can get on live chat with the owner's almost anytime of day and night. They are almost always there for support and to answer anything anyone needs. That is the kind of business you need to find and don't settle for one until you find that kind of support, because there are so many out there that are fly by night and really don't care about their people, they are only wanting to get numbers in their downline.
  18. tiredofmyjob

tiredofmyjob New Member

Thanks ladies but I'm gonna stick to what I know. Plus my husband is picking up more hours at work & getting a great raise + bonus's at the end of April. That take a huge amount of stress off me. My at job becomes a job of choice vs. something I have to do for income & I can walk away at any time. Good luck to everyone, no matter what you pursue!
  19. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

tiredofmyjob: Plus my husband is picking up more hours at work & getting a great raise + bonus's at the end of April.
    Happy for you! Have a great summer. [​IMG]
  20. jonandpaige

jonandpaige New Member

How cool is it to read this and watch the story unfold? I also think it's neat how so many moms here had home daycares before owning a home based internet business! I did, too. I quit the daycare when my youngest son was born with complications and needed more of my time. He turned 6 yesterday and is doing great, allowing me to spring back into home based business over the last few years.

Congrats to your situation resolving itself. The Lord works in mysterious ways - always in HIS time, not necessarily ours, lol!