Want to work from home, but where do i start

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by honey20, Apr 24, 2012.

1. honey20

honey20 New Member

Hi everyone,

Really need some advice. I have a 5 month old baby, so i am unable to go back out to work at the moment, so would like to work from home. i tried the online survey's but i generally think that they are a scam, as even the ones that have been recommended screen you out, after taking most of your information already. and trust me I have joined alot, i also hold a business degree, so would like to do maybe something using this, I am also open to other ideas please. Thank you in advanced
  2. KB24

KB24 Member

Are you looking for a work from home job just for extra money or are you looking to really work from home meaning creating your own business? If you are just starting out I suggest you google "chris farrell membership" Its affiliate marketing. He will teach you how to build an online business step by step. Its not a scam there are alot of reviews about him mostly positive.. Hope this helps..
  3. honey20

honey20 New Member

Hi KB24,

Im looking for both really. Was thinking about being a visual assistant, don't know about starting up my own business, as might be a bit difficult with the way the economy is at the moment...
  4. weblogger

weblogger New Member

The best way to start is first knowing what all you are good at,

are you good at writing articles or creating content?
    are you good helping people technically?

First choose the area that you are good at and be ready to some VA jobs from micro jobs site to earn some cash which you can invest in your learning to build a business online..

Thanks
  5. homesjobsneeded

homesjobsneeded New Member

I say you have to go with something you enjoy personally. That is if you are going to create content. Proper marketing such as forums, answer sites, and youtube help.
  6. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Search different work at home forums, sites, etc. The best advice I can offer is never pay an up front fee. Legit opportunities are always free to start or to apply for.

Good luck. [​IMG]
  7. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

There are so many things to do online that I feel sorry for anyone just starting to peek into it!

I personally like to write well enough that I can make money with that as you can set up simple sites about anything under the sun and make money with them if you take some training.

I personally recommend SBI for total newbies as it will also help you learn about HOW the internet marketing and working from home thing works as far as using your computer to make money.

Then there are also the mlm or home business opportunities out there that work for people. Sometimes that is actually quicker if you want to do that.

Cheers!
  8. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Honey20,

Learning to earn money online is a great option for stay at home moms, or anyone else who wants to work from home. Being a virtual assistant is an option, but I suspect it would be easier to get a position like that once you've already developed some pretty good online marketing skills, etc.

Like you I tried the survey route early on (5 years ago) only to come to the same conclusion that you did - waste of time. [​IMG]

Like Viola (mountainmom5), I found that SBI was perfect for me to learn the ropes of creating an online business successfully with very low cost and low risk. Best decision I made.

It's not a "get rich quick" type of thing. By that I mean you have to put in the work up front and reap the rewards (income) down the road, but it's definitely an excellent option for someone who doesn't need instant cash/wages and is willing to put in the time and effort.

Blessings,
    Angie
  9. WahIdeas

WahIdeas New Member

If you need money/cash straight away I'd focus on trying to get a work at home job which generally means copywriting for money, writing articles, doing jobs online for pay..transcription etc.

If you are looking to build a stream of income, I'd start a blog online...build it up, be consistent in effort day in and out and then monetize it once you've built it up...
  10. honey20

honey20 New Member

Thanks everyone for you help, just typed in 'jobs online which pay' and came accross a scam website called 'earn part time jobs.com'. Sounded to good to be true so i googled for reviews, and just as i thought it was a scam[​IMG], ohh the many boundaries of trying to find a legit job.
  11. Incomegenerator

Incomegenerator New Member

I am subscribed to several work at home sites, that post legitamate jobs at home. I get email updates from them everyday showing the lastest work from home jobs. Most of them require you to have an up to date computer, dedicated phone line, and high speed internet, and a few other requirements that are generally what most people have, theres one that also has a great facebook app/page. Im not sure if can post the names of the companies here but one of the sites is called "next job at home" and "homeworkersnet". I have seen fortune 500 companies listed on here. Even try craigslist, I dont know where you live but they recently had work at home for match, the dating site which was hiring work at home agents. Trust me it took me over a year to even find legit sites. People dont realize that there are many major companies like At&t and other large companies that hire telecommuters. Just do your due dilligence. Hope this helps, good luck with your search and your baby [​IMG]
  12. bonita2307

bonita2307 New Member

hello everyone (honey20 i hope its ok if i add my polite queries to your post as i am in a similar dilemma as you and you seem to have some really helpful advise coming in)
    i too have a growing family that i really need to spend time with i stumbled upon and bought the My Online Income Systems ebook and while it has convinced me that making money online can be a reality, there are so many unanswered questions that i have.
    wriring is my passion and what i do at my current employment so i already have a skill that i can put to work. as a matter of fact, having gone through the entire book, i quickly opened a free affiliate account as well as a clickbank one where i think followed the simple rules to finding products to promote. i have now written 15 product reviews but this where the problem starts. i am not the most web savvy person and have had a helluva time attaching my hoplinks and loading them on a coule of article dirctories - i have actually failed to load on ezine articles coz i seem to be breaking some rule.
    as for my website, i have absolutely no clue about how to use it or how to link readers of my articles there.
    quite a load of quetions i know[​IMG] but i wouls appreciate any answers i can get.
    PS: i am really serious about making this work and i am no slacker so if i have to read through tomes of research to understand what i have to do. i will. Thanks in advance!!
  13. everythingsimpl

everythingsimpl New Member

You could always buy and sell products through eBay. It is easy to scale up if you find the right area and products. I do very well with cell phones. The trick is to find an item that you can get locally with no perceived value in the area. Once those items are online they have real value and people will pay good money for them. Someone recently posted about spoons that they found in a thrift store selling for big money.
  14. honey20

honey20 New Member

Thank you ever soo much everyone for all your advice, and actually taking the time to give me ideas. Incomegenerator can I use these sites even though I am located in the UK. Anymore ideas would be grateful, thank you ; )
  15. honey20

honey20 New Member

Also apparetly "next job at home" post legit and scam ads, as they get commision for every person that signs up. Im really confused. Also the advice im given is to not click into any of there promotions?
  16. honey20

honey20 New Member

Sorry, its me again, I have checked out homeworkers net reviews, and this also is a scam, asking for your credit details [​IMG]
  17. happywife

happywife Gold Member

bonita2307: hello everyone (honey20 i hope its ok if i add my polite queries to your post as i am in a similar dilemma as you and you seem to have some really helpful advise coming in)
    i too have a growing family that i really need to spend time with i stumbled upon and bought the My Online Income Systems ebook and while it has convinced me that making money online can be a reality, there are so many unanswered questions that i have.
    wriring is my passion and what i do at my current employment so i already have a skill that i can put to work. as a matter of fact, having gone through the entire book, i quickly opened a free affiliate account as well as a clickbank one where i think followed the simple rules to finding products to promote. i have now written 15 product reviews but this where the problem starts. i am not the most web savvy person and have had a helluva time attaching my hoplinks and loading them on a coule of article dirctories - i have actually failed to load on ezine articles coz i seem to be breaking some rule.
    as for my website, i have absolutely no clue about how to use it or how to link readers of my articles there.
    quite a load of quetions i know but i wouls appreciate any answers i can get.
    PS: i am really serious about making this work and i am no slacker so if i have to read through tomes of research to understand what i have to do. i will. Thanks in advance!!
    It sounds like you definitely have the "get up and go" and willingness to put in the work to make a success of online marketing. I've not read the ebook you are referring to, but I'm a little familiar with the material.

Based on what you've said, I'm guessing that you are trying to submit articles to ezinearticles with a link to your affiliate product. Is that correct? I'm not 100% sure, but I thought they required you to link to a website rather than use an affiliate link. That may be the rule you are breaking.

You mentioned that writing (I think that's what you meant) was your passion. That's great. If you can combine that with another passion or interest and create a theme based website, you can put your articles on your OWN site instead of trying to get approved at article directories.

You may as well be building YOUR business instead of THEIRS with your writing. [​IMG]

Try reading the Affiliate Masters Course (free ebook), or at least the first half, and see if that makes more sense to you in giving you direction on how to move forward.

Don't worry. Even though the linking and techie stuff seems a bit overwhelming at the moment, in due time it will become easy as pie. [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  18. Tess_T

Tess_T New Member

If you're good at writing, I would suggest that you write for those online in need of website pages, articles, blog posts, etc. There is a TON of money to be made in the copywriting field, which is my primary source of income.

Also, you might want to consider building an affiliate or Adsense site using Wordpress - super easy to use, even for newbies[​IMG] You could even make considerable money blogging about babies, since you have a new little one! There are lots of products that have to do with babies - diapers, diaper bags, toys, car seats, etc.

The truth is, ANYONE can make money on the internet but you do have to put forth an effort. Unlike many ads you may have seen or advice you may have been given, you cannot make $10,000 month working for an hour a day (or less). Consider whatever you do a business, and give it the work and attention you would if you were working at a regular job.

Hope this helps!
    Jessica Hughey likes this.
  19. honey20

honey20 New Member

Thank you Tess, i might look into blogging, and copywriting. Thank you for taking the time in writing to me. [​IMG]
  20. kellerbrianw

kellerbrianw Member

Congratulations on your baby![​IMG] Children are a precious gift!

The folks above offer excellent ideas that you should consider. I think it is wise you have some concerns about the survey sites. Few pay the type of income you deserve.

I've known men and women who have succeeded doing mystery shopping, working for call centers (from home), selling products online, and worked as an answering service. All have made good incomes while raising a family.

Use the search engines and job search boards to help you find a job
    you can be proud of doing. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Here's to your success!

Brian