Website audience and domain name

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by neon, Jan 18, 2012.

1. neon

neon New Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to marketing in general. I have been learning about it for the past few weeks and am going through the Challenge. I have two - probably simple - questions both about web design (what users expect from a site) and another on domain names. At first I was going to post this in web design but it has to do with marketing of products as well.

Would users visiting your site feel more confident if the site design looks professional oriented with informative posts or more personal oriented as in personal blogs reviewing products? What typically leads to a better conversion rate?

Now onto domain names. If you use exact of phrase match targeted keywords in the domain name it helps with SEO? What if you cannot think of a good domain name using these keywords?

Thanks for any help [​IMG]
  2. haiden

haiden New Member

Excellent questions, Neon. [​IMG] I will have to keep an eye on this thread. Thanks for asking what I also needed to know.

I'd also like to add that imo, people tend to gravitate towards more personal-type. Don't take my word for it, though. Really, I'd have to say it's probably a mix of the two.

As for the keyword-orientated domain name, perhaps if you took down some notes, some ideas for names you'd like, and then run it though Googles keyword tool? Sorry if this does not help.
  3. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

neon: Would users visiting your site feel more confident if the site design looks professional oriented with informative posts or more personal oriented as in personal blogs reviewing products? What typically leads to a better conversion rate?
    I usually prefer professional/authority websites for information and personal websites for product reviews.

neon: Now onto domain names. If you use exact of phrase match targeted keywords in the domain name it helps with SEO? What if you cannot think of a good domain name using these keywords?
    If you can get a keyword rich domain name, take it. Else, don't fret over it. What ultimately matters is what text others use to link to your website. The only thing you need to make sure is to include the keywords in your website name.

Another approach you can use if you don't get keyword rich domain name is to use abbreviations. Examples: wahm.com, ahbbo.com...
  4. neon

neon New Member

Thanks for the responses [​IMG]

It is my understanding that users typically want information - in which case a professional looking website used to promote products I think would have more authority appeal. What is the appeal that users have to favor personal oriented sites?

Also, I appreciate the advice on the domain name; haven't considered using abbreviations. I do have domain names in mind though but it would require moving the keywords around (so it would be just a broad match to the keyword phrase being targeted).

Thanks again [​IMG]
  5. Vishal P. Rao

neon: It is my understanding that users typically want information - in which case a professional looking website used to promote products I think would have more authority appeal. What is the appeal that users have to favor personal oriented sites?
    Not exactly. You see, If I need a review of a product, I usually tend to gravitate more towards personal experiences than company type reviews. Also, I'm more likely to click on a product referral link on a personal website than a generic authority website. Nothing on the credibility issue, but more of pre-selling.

It's like a sales man selling you vs. your friend selling you. You'll most likely buy from your friend right? Of course, you need to connect with your readers as efficiently as possible because there is lot of difference between actually talking to someone face to face and writing to them.
  6. happywife

happywife Gold Member

I agree with Vishal, but I would also add that it kind of also depends on the niche topic of the website. Some topics lend themselves more to a more formal approach, while others would be much more appealing with a really personal approach.

For instance, if your site was about "duck hunting" and you're an avid hunter, you'd be much better off really imposing your own personality and experiences (your own voice) all throughout your writing as it would appeal to other hunters. They'd begin to feel like they know from you and would more readily take your suggestions (that's preselling).

Something else, like "mattress reviews" might be more appealing if it was more professional sounding.

Blessings,
    Angie
  7. Vishal P. Rao

happywife: Something else, like "mattress reviews" might be more appealing if it was more professional sounding.
    Agree!
  8. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

neon: Would users visiting your site feel more confident if the site design looks professional oriented with informative posts or more personal oriented as in personal blogs reviewing products?
    HappyWife and Vishal made very good points on this question. One of the first things visitors notice about a website is its "look" -- the way various elements such as color, layout, navigation and content presentation all fit together.

Good design takes into consideration the targeted viewer. It constructs those elements to appeal directly to the specific group in order to make the right first impression.

So a site that is "professional oriented" and one that is "personal oriented" will have different motives. These differences ought to be reflected in the website design because, as Angie pointed out, they are not necessarily targeting the same people.

neon: What typically leads to a better conversion rate?
    A number of factors, including design, but more importantly how effectively you use headlines, content, facts and persuasion to stir the reader emotionally and convince them to take action on your message.

neon: What if you cannot think of a good domain name using these keywords?
    Like Vishal says, don't fret over it. Nine times out of ten the best keyword rich domain names are already taken by the time you come along. Simply select one that will do and make up the difference with other SEO strategies. A keyword rich domain name alone is not enough to guarantee search engine supremacy.

Hermas
  9. PeterFrosen

PeterFrosen New Member

There is a saying that goes around the IM industry that says "Content is for Google and the images are for people"

I don't agree with this absolutely but I a lot of times people just DON'T READ.

a lot of time quality images and easy to follow navigation are what lead to conversions.

This being said videos are also very powerful.
  10. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

PeterFrosen: "Content is for Google and the images are for people"

That is not entirely true... Google loves images! maybe more than words.
    Once upon a time my sites were ranked on page 1 and visited ONLY FOR IMAGES.
    Just make sure you use image tags & captions with key words for those pictures.
    Only later did I monetize them with key words to attract product or money seekers.
    Pictures can help keep people on a page they wouldn't read otherwise.
    Recent FaceBook experiences tell me pictures are still worth 1,000 words.

Domain name keywords are not important other than for perceived credibility.
    Sure it helps but that is not what people or search engines are looking for.
    You can get a site ranked on page 1 with the worst domain name you can think of.
    The key for a domain name is that people can remember it and spell it.