Website Design question

Discussion in 'Website Promotion' started by WhitePhoenix, Feb 28, 2006.

1. WhitePhoenix

WhitePhoenix New Member

Okay, I know this may seem like a very basic and silly question to many of you - who seem to know everything about the innards of computers and the workings of the Internet - but here goes.

Okay, if someone designs a website for you, I would assume they save all the pages, etc in a file and then send it to you. But does it matter what program or coding they used to build the site in regard to which FTP program you can use to upload the files onto the Internet?
  2. netjobs

netjobs Member

It does'nt matter which ftp program you uses to upload your files to the server, you should properly upload to the exact folders to work properly...

I recommend, you can use smartftp, its very simple and easy (also free) to upload your files... [​IMG]
  3. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Quoting: WhitePhoenixOkay, I know this may seem like a very basic and silly question to many of you...

By now Denise, you would have discovered that the users of this forum are non-judgmental and willingly share advice, counsel and information in a sincere attempt to help others.

Many have been in your shoes and understand where you are in your quest to expand your knowledge on the ins and outs of Internet marketing, so there's no need to put yourself down for not knowing.

Asking questions is quite the smart thing to do. As they say: The only dumb question is the one that's NOT asked.

Quoting: WhitePhoenixBut does it matter what program or coding they used to build the site in regard to which FTP program you can use to upload the files onto the Internet?

Generally it doesn't matter which FTP program you use to upload Web files, except in the case of FrontPage.

If your Web site was built using Microsoft's FrontPage, you first need to be certain that your hosting company's servers support FrontPage Extensions.

Without going into a technical explanation, extensions are CGI programs which allow certain unique features in FrontPage to work in conjunction with other programs on the host server. Fortunately, most servers today are equipped with these extensions.

However, Microsoft does NOT recommend using any FTP program when FrontPage extensions are installed because there is a chance that HTML files could be corrupted during the upload/download process. Instead the safer alternative is to use FrontPage Explorer.

Hermas
  4. WhitePhoenix

WhitePhoenix New Member

Thank you Hermas and netjobs - no, they are not building the site with Frontpage but are coding in HTML. I personally have used FTP Explorer, but have recently begun to have trouble with it.

What FTP software comes highly recommended out there??
  5. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

I use CuteFTP and I'm very happy with it.
  6. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

7. WhitePhoenix

WhitePhoenix New Member

Okay, I've tried SmartFTP and now am trying CuteFTP. I believe I am putting all the correct information into the boxes, but I keep getting error messages. I don't know what's the problem.

This is very frustrating, as I didn't change any of the settings or anything. A couple of weeks ago by FTP explorer was working, and now it's not. Nothing I do seems to help. Help!
  8. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Quoting: WhitePhoenix...and now am trying CuteFTP. I believe I am putting all the correct information into the boxes, but I keep getting error messages. I don't know what's the problem. This is very frustrating, as I didn't change any of the settings or anything.

Denise, welcome to the fascinating and crazy world of Web marketing tools. It would help if you shared the details of the error messages you keep getting. That would give us a clue to a possible solution.

And the frustration that follows failed attempts to sort out software is part of the experience. Exciting, isn't it! [​IMG]

This is when you are allowed to swear, throw things (not at the computer), and vent in whatever ways work for you. Then when your blood pressure and breathing has returned to normal, give it another go.

You'll probably laugh out loud at yourself when you finally discover that the solution was quite simple and was staring you in the face all along.

And so it goes...

Hermas
  9. Vishal P. Rao

Yes, only detailed explanation of what you are trying to achieve and what error messages you are getting will help us solve your problem.

Quoting: A8chYou'll probably laugh out loud at yourself when you finally discover that the solution was quite simple and was staring you in the face all along.

Happens to me most of the time [​IMG] Just forget it for a day and start again. Sometimes, toughest problems often seem to have simplest solution.
  10. WhitePhoenix

WhitePhoenix New Member

Okay guys,

My main frustration is that it gives me no error information. No code, no number, nothing. It just says 'error'. I have tried to forget about it the last couple of days, but it's like this really cloudly cloud hanging over me.

The thing is, I input the info into FTP Explorer, CuteFTP AND SmartFTP and none of them will upload for me. (I think it may be personal). So, I'm beginning to think there is a glitch somewhere in the innards of my computer setting.

Several years ago, I had trouble with my computer. 'He' (yes HE really thought he was HAL. It took me months to convince him that he had identity issues, and then, after a labotomy, he was fine.

I'm beginning to think that HAL left a little something behind to remember him by. Ah, the wonders of computers!

I shall keep trying to figure out what the problem is... sigh.
  11. Vishal P. Rao

Have you thought about using Windows Remote Assistance? With it's help, someone volunteering can look into your pc screen and see what's exactly is going wrong.
  12. Quoting: Vishal P. RaoJust forget it for a day and start again. Sometimes, toughest problems often seem to have simplest solution.

Hey Denise,

A long time ago I was writing a program for a report I needed.
    I kept getting errors. I thought it was "HAL" laughing at me.

It ended up that I was missing one " in all of the code I had written.

Go over your code with a fine tooth comb, and make sure all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed.

Like Vishal said, it could be something simple. If it worked before, you may have just clipped a little something somewhere.

Good Luck on this one.

Joe
  13. WhitePhoenix

WhitePhoenix New Member

Thank you Vishal and Joe.

I shall get my magnifying glass out and scan every page of my code. I have missed little tags here and there once in a while, and I may have hit something that prevents the whole thing to be uploaded. Geesh! It's like 1 little wire misplaced in a car engine... and the entire thing won't work.

If I can't find any errors in the code, I will then proceed to the Windows Remote Assistance... didn't know they were out there...

I shall keep you posted as to my success. Either you will hear from me, or my computer will end up out on the sidewalk! [​IMG]
  14. WhitePhoenix

WhitePhoenix New Member

Okay, I have checked my code and fixed a (") that I missed, etc., but I still can't upload my new site - so what I thought I would do is start from scratch again and hope it works.

That being said, I bought some software called 'Web Easy 6" - so now my questions is, have any of you used this software?

Thanks a bunch...
  15. Aegist

Aegist New Member

wait a minute... what are you having trouble with? FTPing your index.html, and your page2.html etc documents up to your host? Because if that is your problem, then just verify for me that you aren't thoroughly checking your HTML document coding..... Because your HTML code has NOTHING to do with FTPing your site....

What coding do you need for FTP? If you use CuteFTP etc then its all visual based, you just need to know your FTP address, username and password. Make sure you use the right transfer system for your host....etc. Any problems FTPing your website to your host is probably a discrepency between your host settings and the settings you are trying to use to FTP.

Or did I miss the question?
  16. Aegist

Aegist New Member

OK, i re-read your first post, and I am pretty sure I understand what you are asking...and the answer is a very definate : No. It is completely irrelevent what program makes the webpage or edits it or even how it is saved.

FTP is a File Transfer Protocol, that is: It is designed to transfer 'files' from one computer to another. It is irrelevent what those files are or what is in them, it just gets the commands "Send myfavouritefile.exe to
  17. PolskaSurf

PolskaSurf New Member

It does not matter but I'd recommened that you check the website with both IE and FireFox because you sometimes get small differences in the way the site is displayed in both browsers.
  18. WhitePhoenix

WhitePhoenix New Member

Thanks aegist,

Yeah, I emailed my website host and got that info, and it still didn't work - but perhaps I changed something inadvertantly when I was trying to get it to upload.

Your explanation was very specific, so I'll go back and re-check those settings again. Keep your fingers crossed!

P.S. Thanks!
  19. Aegist

Aegist New Member

If you check everything again, check to make sure everything is uppercase and lowercase correctly (if your host is Linux it matters), this is my most regular cause of problems when it comes to website issues.

If you do that and it still doesnt work, maybe you need to find a new host. Who is your current one and why are you using them? I use Iprimus to do my hosting, and they have a VERY easy user friend html graphic interface where i just log into my control panel, click 'file manager' go into my public HTML folder, click upload files and select which files i want to upload. Easy as that.

Once you have the files uploaded, then I will worry about trouble shooting that...tell me when you get that far.
  20. WhitePhoenix

WhitePhoenix New Member

Hello aegist,

I seem to have the correct info for my settings, checked them multiple times and still no luck.

I have used Webstrike Solutions, based out of Australia, for the last 5 or 6 years without any, and I mean ZIP, trouble. Now all of a sudden I can't make anything upload. As I mentioned before, I even tried to use a couple of others with no success. So perhaps my host has changes their configurations or something and I didn't pay attention to a notice or something. I have no idea.

I will check out your Iprimus... any other good ones out there? I haven't looked in years!