Weight Watchers.?

Discussion in 'Diet and Nutrition' started by dealrocker, Oct 20, 2009.

1. faye

faye New Member

I agree with many responses here: it is more about will power than any particular diet program. I found out that exercising more is the most effective thing for me, plus it is a really good stress buster. At first, it is really hard to get started (I go jogging), but by now I get grumpy if I cannot exercise for some reason - I love this effect [​IMG]!

It is our blessing and curse that we humans are creatures of habit, and it's your choice what it should be for you.

2. I have done WW and love it. To me it the best program out there because you can eat regular food. You dont have to cook two separate meals. You can even eat at McDonald's with the kids. I loved going to the meeting to but beacause I moved I am not able to go now because the one near me don't fit in with my schedule and I don't want to be traveling.

So I am actually about to do it on my own. I just started Tuesday and have already lost 3 lbs. I know that might not seem like a lot but it better then a gain and it still have more days to go till tuesday which will be a week. I actually wrote an article on it with all the points information and how to download the points calculator and other info you will need to start without have to go to the meetings. Its at hubpage under mommystayhome. i would love to have you join me in my weight loss journey then we can support each other.

3. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

You don't need any of those weight loss companies.

The best way to lose weight is to drink fluids only for like 2-3 days. In that time frame, do weight lifting and a little arobics and you can lose like 3-5 pounds.

4. bdkfreedom

bdkfreedom New Member

Eeeeek!! Anyone in here know what the top-rated and marketed weight solution product in the country is right now?

Ditch-the-Diets everyone!! All diets are fads! It is about NUTRITION and maintaining a steady Blood-Sugar Level.

For those newcomers, google "Mark Macdonald." He is a nutrition and fitness expert and is a NY Times #1 Best-Seller! His book is called "Body Confidence!"

He is my partner in this venture to help the 73% obesity rate in this country!! Truly helping people lead a more meaningful life!

PM me for more helpful information.

5. obrien540

obrien540 New Member

I think it is a lifestyle change! Clean eating and a commitment to working out is what works for me!
    It is a journey I will be on forever!

6. FitnessEsq

FitnessEsq New Member

I can't say I read every single reply, but WW works for a lot of people and there are a lot of great stories out there. However, I do have to agree with a lot of the replies I did see that talked about the need for a lifestyle change if you want to have results that are permanent. What a lot of people lack is the self-motivation and daily commitment necessary to change your lifestyle. WW has a support system, which is why I have heard a lot of people say they really like it. To get really healthy though, you can't just look at your diet. You need to put nutrition with a planned program with the support necessary to push you even on days where you don't feel like pushing.

I'm currently doing P90x and drinking Shakeology while participating in a Challenge Group (a private online accountability group) to keep me motivated and to get me through the program in its entirety. Before, I was a yo-yo worker outer because I'd only go to the gym when I felt my clothes getting tight. Now, fitness has become such an integral part of my life that if I miss a day, I get really sad. lol I love it though because it provides the support and accountability that a lot of people lack. That's why people start new diets and workout programs on January 1st, but then quit by February - they lack at least one of the three important categories (nutrition, fitness, accountability).

To get the best results possible, you want something that will give you EVERYTHING you need to reach your goals, and you want to learn good habits as you go because you don't want your health and fitness to just be a fad - you want it to be a lifestyle that you can live with forever. =)

7. Winter

Winter New Member

I have way more success personally when I look at it like a "lifestyle change" than a "diet". I usually incorporate things that I know motivate or work for me as opposed to sticking to one set plan. WW, I have ups and downs with but some of it is excellent. I recently bought the newer points books but haven't jumped back on the wagon yet. Resources that have been very helpful for me include the books "The Complete Beck Diet For Life" and "Food Rules" by Michael Pollan, as well as making use of the Spark People website, which is free. I also have a free ww website account but have been more successful with the spark people one.

8. Ginger Ratsep

Ginger Ratsep New Member

I agree with you Winter, it is about a "lifestyle change". Let's face it "diet" is simply what you eat or drink, be it McDonalds or fruits and veggies. The challenge is committing to eat healthy. With WW you just count points and can substitute foods as long as you stay within the points. As a poster above pointed out, she can eat "regular" food, even go to McDonalds with her kids. Therein lies the problem. You're not doing your body any favors by eating fast foods. Nor are you doing much better by eating the WW frozen foods. Processed and fast foods just shouldn't be part of a diet plan and I think that's where WW falls down. They don't teach people how to eat nutritionally.

There is a free app you can download to your smartphone from www.fooducate.com. With this app you can scan the barcode of foods from the grocery store and it will come back with a report grading the item anywhere from a D- to an A with an explanation about the grade. I scanned Weight Watchers Salisbury Steak. It received a D+ because it contains artificial colors, high probability for GMO, contains trans-fats, (if they is less than 1/2 gram of trans-fats per serving, manufacturers can round down the number to 0), it contains over 35% of the daily recommended maximum amount of salt, contains fully hydrogenated oils, contains sulfites, it's highly processed, contains MSG-like ingredients, contains and the list goes on.

The other challenge with changing your diet to lose weight is that most of the time people are losing lean muscle along with the fat. When people aren't committed to permanently changing their diet, they wind up in the yoyo diet syndrom whereby they've lowered their metabolism as a result of losing lean muscle. Without the metabolism working at its optimum the weight easily goes right back on. Unfortunately, folks often gain back more weight than they lost.

Then there is the whole issue surrounding how addictive food is and why it's made that way on purpose, but that's a post for another day.

9. smilekill

smilekill New Member

thanks for the information bro ,as i should say am almost 90 kg so am planning to reduce my weight is there any diet plans