What are reasonable expectations ?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by azmike9, Sep 1, 2010.

1. azmike9 New Member

I know this is a loaded question. I just want an idea as to what I can expect to make at home in say 6 to 12 months. I understand that it takes work and time and some money. If someone works hard and is willing to learn and spend the time, Would say $4000 to $5000 per month be a realistic ? I am not looking for a get rich quick solution.
    Sorry if the question is to open ended. I am trying to get an idea.

Thanks,

Mike
  2. weebitty Member

Yes it is a loaded question. It all depends on the comp plan I would say. some are very luctrative others arn't. they front load you and you have to get to and maintain levels etc. I guess you could get to that level if you really worked hard at it but again I think it depends on the comp plan and how it is set up and what it is you are doing.
  3. mountainmom5 Gold Member

Yeah - loaded and hard to answer...

Here are some of my experiences but you really can't go by that even. Every person is going to have a different story and different numbers. And it all depends VERY MUCH on YOU and what it actually IS that you are doing to make money..[IMG]

I DID make several grand a month within the first year when I did a high end travel business BUT my expenses were also VERY high with that business and I eventually quit. ( I was spending HUNDREDS a month for advertising and there were months I didn't make a dime so before long anything I made was simply covering my expenses!)

Then I got into affiliate marketing with almost no overhead except for SBI (about $25 a month) and even though I was only making several hundred a month at the end of the first year, at least I wasn't SPENDING so much to make money. lol

And it just keeps going up now after working hard at it for a year.

Make sense?

I would say give it a year of GOOD hard year of work and diligent effort before expecting to see big results. But again it all depends on what type of 'work' you will be doing.

If you are still learning about it all - then for sure give it a year. [IMG]

Cheers!
  4. A8ch Gold Member

azmike9: I just want an idea as to what I can expect to make at home in say 6 to 12 months.
    No one can give you a definitive answer because the variables are too many. Here are some of the factors that will play a significant role in helping you to guage an expectation:

1. Your level of commitment (mentally, financially and timewise).
    2. The business model you select
    3. The niche(s) you target
    4. Your current understanding of online marketing
    5. Your willingness to take calculated risks
    6. Your ACTIVE participation

I think 6 to 12 months is a realistic timeframe to work through the fundamentals and lay a solid foundation on which you can build a solid income in the future.

But rather than set your sights on how much money you can expect to make in a year, you can set your milestones a different way. Aim to have your own product generating a consistent, automated, profitable income by the end of the first year.

Then use that income (whatever it happens to be) as a reference from which to shoot for higher income levels in the next year.

Hermas
  5. Janell miashops New Member

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
  6. Matt Zenittini Silver Member

There is also creativity!

If you can put together the things Hermas said with some creativity you can make big money even faster!

Having something unique whatever the purpose may be for that unique thing, and marketing it..

You can make some good money by not following the crowd =].

Its all on you.

Matt
  7. FreeCashMan Active Member

Yes, to maybe better assist you we would need an ideal of what it is you are doing to build that type of income in 6 months or less.

Can it be done, Absolutely.

Can it be done with any and every business venture, Absolutely NOT!

Choose wisely [IMG]
  8. westfam11 Member

I would say that the best thing to do would be try to narrow down exactly what you want to do.

1) MLM
    2) Affiliate Marketing
    3) Blogging
    4) Direct sales

among others. Then stick to it until you learn it and are making money. A couple of years ago I spent a whole year jumping from one thing to another and never really learning one thing. Sometimes I feel that was a year wasted but it wasn't really because I learned a whole lot.

The one thing I can say is "never give up" ever.

Becky
  9. azmike9 New Member

Thanks for all the great replies. I believe my first plan will be to do Affiliate Marketing. Then some MLM and then finally some Direct sales. I think if I have a few wells pumping so to speak, it would make for a steady income.
  10. DanielleS New Member

As Hermas said, I would go with creating your own product and then selling it.

-Dani
  11. easiestbiz New Member

azmike9

Don't dive in to too many things all at once, especially if you are working. Choose one thing, commit to working it daily until you've got it pumping your target cash flow for you each and every month. Then go after the next.

If you do affiliate, then mlm, then direct sales, while the basics are the same (sales funnel, pumping traffic) you need to understand the subtle nuances behind each approach. For example, it takes time to build up a relationship in mlm where people begin to like, respect and trust you, where as with affiliate marketing it doesn't rely as much on building up a team based on who you are and what you are about.

I personally have done it all, and honestly while affiliate marketing worked for some, I found relationship marketing significantly more rewarding. I get to hold people's hands and help them through the employee - to - self-employed mindset transition that causes so many to fail the first few times around, and I get to help them succeed - often far above and beyond their expectations. That makes me feel great. With affiliate marketing, I didn't the relationship aspect that really makes me feel like I'm doing something for someone. I guess to each their own, but Internet marketing can be pretty lonely if you don't build up a good community.

That being said, I wouldn't touch SBI with a 50 ft pole. It's dog slow, built on technology that's about 10 years old. Go do wordpress. You can get a very professional, SEO'd website up in about 2 hours, and if you know what you are doing, pre-loaded with hundreds of articles. You can then do all the market testing on your niche you need in a couple of weeks. If it doesn't seem to generate enough revenue, ditch it and try a different industry or niche.

Over time you'll find what works ideally for you. Meanwhile, while you find the niche and type of marketing that best suits you, you can sell those websites you built for a tidy profit - usually abut $500 - $2500 each, depending on the amount of traffic you are generating.

my wordpress sites out perform SBI sites all day long. And yes I'm a former SBI user.
  12. 4pointgroup New Member

Careful with how much you put on your plate. I signed up to so many things in the beginning I spent all day sifting through emails. Very bad because then I was not doing anything significant to build a business.

Also watch how much you spend, spending because this may be the sure thing is really bad too. I maxed out 2 credit cards (one with 30% interest) on the thought that in 2 months I can pay it back. I have now been at Working Online for 7-12 months and I haven't seen any money.

You have to have a plan and an idea of where you want to start. Also if you are a bit unsure use forums like this or a mentor to help you.

Well not sure if this is much help but it is the lessons I have learnt.