What are the Best Motivators?

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by glindow, Aug 3, 2009.

1. debbystewart

debbystewart New Member

For me, it's money and making sales. The more money I make, the more I am driven to work even more.
    When business is slow, I have to admit that I struggle at staying motivated.

2. paolo4

paolo4 New Member

When business is slow, Debbie, this is the moment you need to push, do not let this de-motivate you. It can take one ad or email to make you earn so much money. Keep on at it!

3. glindow

glindow New Member

Wow, my thread is still at the top of the forum! I find myself delighted at the prospect. Lots of helpful advice too. The last two weeks or so have been awful for me. I just haven't carred about much of anything and even the fact that I checked my checking account balance the other day and found it all but empty hasn't helped motivate me. Well its helped a little bit. Not sure exactly what it is thats bringing me down either. End of summer blues possibly, a pervasive lonliness that I can't seem to shake, though I have had that feeling for years. Maybe I need to organize a weekend with friends. That would be nice.

Anyway, thanks for the tips and I am glad the shared thoughts are helpful to others as well.

4. sylviad

sylviad New Member

You are (virtually) looking at a Master Procrastinator. Getting motivated is like pulling teeth sometimes. Things can always get done later. There's always tomorrow. It's not what I want to do right at the moment because THIS will be much more fun and satisfying. Unfortunately those distractions often are not related to my busines and if they are, they are not really the things that will make money.

Here are a few things that I've learned along the way - not just from my own experience but from tips I've read from people who know what they're talking about.

1. Plan your day. If you've ever worked in an office, you will know how bosses insist you be at your desk at certain times and go home when they tell you to. When we work from home, all the things that have plagued us at the office become a distant memory: can do what we want when we want, can work as much or as little as we want, we can stop and take time off whenever we want, no boss to criticize us and our work, etc.

The advice I was given is that you MUST have a schedule that you follow every day. That includes getting dressed (sounds obvious but aren't you tired of hearing people say they work in their PJs or don't get dressed until noon?). In your "job", you would have dressed for the occasion, but at home, you probably don't. So dress like you are going to work.

2. Decide exactly how many hours a day you will work. Set a schedule of when you will work each day and how many days per week. This will ease the "burden" of work because you know you have only so much time to accomplish it.

3. Make sure your business is something you truly enjoy. That's why so many people get bored - they don't have jobs that really turn them on. Sit yourself down and ask, "What type of work do I "really" enjoy doing?" Forget what you're doing now. Look to what you've done in the past and how much satisfaction they gave you. This is what you should be doing now. So if you like writing, but hate marketing, design your business so that you do the part you enjoy and you hire someone else to do the rest that you do not enjoy.

4. Checklists are a fabulous way to get motivated. Forget Word or Notepad. Grab a physical notebook (spiral are great for this) and a real pen. Keep it beside you as you work. As you work, jot down the things you need to do. At the end of the day, you will begin to feel motivated for the next day when you see how much you accomplished.

One problem I have is that there is so much to do, and I'm constantly thinking of things I have to do. At one time (and even now sometimes) I would constantly be distracted from my current task to take care of that other one, which meant many things never got done - or at least not in a timely fashion. When I began this To Do Checklist Book, I sat down and listed all the things I wanted to do that day. What didn't get done was completed the next day.

The important thing was, new things were added which took them out of my head so I could focus and come back to them later.

These are just a few of the things that have helped me to get and stay motivated. But even still, I have to make sure I'm motivated to follow through with these steps because it's all too easy to fall back into my procrastination mode.

Hope this helps.

Sylvia

5. minraj

minraj New Member

necessity is the cause of invention, though its all about timing, interest drives/leads intention and vice-versa.

6. sjames23

sjames23 New Member

For me the best motivators are Mindset audio calls.

7. weblearner

weblearner New Member

Newbie Shield: Once you start making significant money, you will see it with new eyes.
    100% true ... very well said [​IMG]

thanks

8. Andyee

Andyee New Member

Write all your goals on a sheet of paper)) and before you know it - they will be achieved.

9. lanitap

lanitap New Member

something that keeps me motivated is knowing once I get my business going I can quiet my full-time job and work from home making twice as much in less time.

10. joyschatting

joyschatting New Member

The biggest motivator for me has been my newly formed mastermind group. I had been spending the first year and a half basically on independent study, but it wasn't until I had to be accountable to a group of people every week before things really started taking off for me.

Working online is very lonely AND more so since no one understands what the heck I do on my computer all the time. Now, I have an amazing group of people that I can talk to and we push each other along.

11. twnuck

twnuck New Member

Any motivators (aka goals) have to be personal and meaningful. You have to have a strong "why" before you will take action. The only thing that ultimately matters is the action you take to get to your goal. If you are NOT taking action then you need to reassess if your goal is one that you truly want.

Everything we do starts with a thought (I want to make money) which converts into a feeling (yeah, this is great) and ultimately to an action (we join an online biz, learn marketing, etc.). Thoughts, feelings AND actions are how we get to our goals.

Where most of us fall short (me included) is that we think and feel but don't always ACT. And, if we don't act long enough we really need to take a look at whether we are doing something that truly inspires us.

Another thing is that goals must be so personal that it makes us get out of bed in the morning and hit the ground running. Don't make your goal to just make money. Instead, think about what that money will do for you (vacation, time spent with family, etc.).

That's your true motivator - not the money!

12. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

debbystewart: For me, it's money and making sales. The more money I make, the more I am driven to work even more.
    When business is slow, I have to admit that I struggle at staying motivated.
    lol - that is me in a nutshell some days...[​IMG]

13. mschuerer

mschuerer New Member

The best motivator I have found is the "why". Why did I start doing this business in the first place? Did you write down your goals before you started your work-at-home pursuit? Pull it out of the drawer or file folder and post it above your computer!

The second best motivator that keeps me working consistently each day is that I believe with my whole heart it is going to pay off. Now, I can spend an inordinate amount of time doing things that don't make me money - such as cleaning my desk, reading posts, and learning some new technique for marketing, so I have to remind myself to focus on the tasks and actions that actually make me money.

14. mirab

mirab Member

My favorite motivation quote well it's not really motivation but it helps me get clear on what I want to do.

"What would you do if you knew you could not fail"

15. BizzySusan

BizzySusan New Member

Motivation. My kids. That's a big one. You just have to keep your eye on the big picture. Imagine how life will be when you're successful. That will take you far. Best of luck.

16. robert jean

robert jean New Member

Nice topic chosen first off, eliminate the reasons why you are kept from working out. If its the computer, change your wallpaper to something that says... "Its time to work out!" or something that will motivate you to do so.without money no one will work if you take a cell phone it has work of many people right from small chip handling to large manufacturing and merging all needs money only heavy amount of money leads to a successful product. Grab some post-its and write "time to work out" and post it where you frequently go to in your home.

17. caroline6391

caroline6391 New Member

As most, I simply stay focused on my main goal. As I have said in previous posts, if I begin to notice I am being enticed by other offers, I lose track and waste time and energy.

By writing down exactly what I want and exactly what I want to get out of something, I notice I strive to meet that goal with more haste and strength. [​IMG]

Good luck to all.

18. fixaprob

fixaprob New Member

1) Responsibility: You might have seen in some movies...might also have seen in your own family, when a guy is irresponsible, spending too much time outside...parents usually say, "Iski Shaadi kar do; jimmeyvari aayegi to khud samajhdaar ho jaayega" (Get him married. Once he gets responsibilities, he too becomes responsible). Don't you think that "enforced responsibility" also motivates some people? Then he knows that now he is not alone...he need to work for his wife, for his family and then for their future. In India,(People say that) things doesn't work until and unless they are enforced or until and unless it is compulsion (no other way).

2) Looking beyond your sight:

A. You are always able to see one side of the coin...you sure want to see the other side.

B. You are able to see a huge mountain...you always want to see...what is there on the other side.

C. You are in a ocean...everywhere you see water, water and only water...you want to know where is the end.

That is called as "Motivation to know more"...motivation to know more than what you already know.

19. bbray95

bbray95 New Member

Money, Quitting the day job and not going bankrupt!

20. NetWizard862

NetWizard862 New Member

Picture (in all detail) the life you gonna have if you never start working on things, then picture the life you gonna live of you start acting now. then simply make a choice. it's that simple.