What Are Your Top Tips For Newbies That Want To Work From Home?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by BusinessIdeas, Dec 3, 2014.

1. BusinessIdeas

BusinessIdeas Member

I have been working online for the past 3 years and it has been up and down as it was a learning curve to understand the market and to earn an reasonable wage for for the time I put in.

Really what I should of done was join forum such as this one to learn and ask questions about what I plan to work at, But I was so far away from that sensibly approach, I entrusted a guy of craigslist to introduce me to SFI which I jumped feet first into with their promises of wealth. Well that was a mistake as I didn't know anything about marketing online so it was not a success, maybe now if I tried SFI again with the knowledge I have learned over the past 3 years I could made some money, but I dislike MLM now.

So I think a lot of Newbies may benefit from this Thread hopefully if other members and seasonal experts on here, can help by sharing your Tips and Experiences of Starting to work from home as a Newbie.

Tips and Experiences for people searching for a way to made money online are welcomed.

So what are your Best Tips and Advice fro Newbies?

Nate Corliss likes this.
  2. BusinessIdeas

BusinessIdeas Member

My First Tip would be to research the company your business first by using Google Search, search for reviews for the company of affiliate business you wish to join. Remember that most people in multilevel marketing businesses will tell you anything to get you to join as without referring you they will not get paid.

Also please note that not everything people say on the internet about companies are true so look through several reviews of the business or opportunity you are thinking of joining.

ricksalas likes this.
  3. KB24

KB24 Active Member

Find out what your skills are. Come up with a plan and stick to one method. Stick to that one method until you see results then scale..

payment proof likes this.
  4. tanya_edmunds

tanya_edmunds New Member

Be consistent and don't jump from one thing to another. For example, if you start out as an affiliate, put in some hard work and give it at least 6 months before you decide whether you should stick to it or move to something else.

A8ch and payment proof like this.
  5. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I agree. People give up too easily. It can take some time and effort before you start seeing good money. Hang in there. :)

6. Rads To Riches

Rads To Riches New Member

Hey Everyone! Some great advice already!

I would like to add that in addition to doing your homework and then committing to one idea and sticking to it, it is very important to PLAN your strategy.

One of the easiest ways to lose motivation, give up or decide to try something else is because your goal is either too distant or you haven't created any!

One idea and how I plan is to break everything down into smaller manageable tasks.

Also, start at the end and work backwards. What I mean by this is to set a long term goal - for example 12 months from now. Then, where you want to be in 6 months (half way between now and the 12 month goal for example) and so on:

In 3 months (12 weeks) I will............................ Set your goal
    In the next month I will........................
    This week I will.................. (list everything you need to do to achieve the 1 month goal above, and break down what can be done in a week)

and finally: TODAY I WILL................
    Tomorrow I will...................

The reason for doing things this way is that when you start ticking tasks off your to do list, it feels great and becomes almost addictive! Also, setting 4 tasks to complete each day is so much easier to take in and far less daunting than saying something like: 1 year from now I will earn 10k per month.

Every day you are still getting closer to your end goal, but it feels a lot more realistic when you break it down.

Feel free to ask any questions if I didn't make that as clear as it should be :)

7. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

This caught my eye because the first money I ever earned online, more than 10 years ago, was in the form of an affiliate commission check from SFI. I don't remember the amount, but it was just under $25. If you could have seen my reaction when I opened the mail and saw that check with my name on it, you would have thought I had won the lottery.

What excited me wasn't the amount of money, it was the reality that I was holding a check in my hand for stuff I had done sitting at my desktop. It represented proof that online marketing worked and that I could make it work for me.

It had taken me 4 months to earn that check, and I remember thinking all I needed to do next, was simply repeat the process, earn bigger checks more frequently, and I'd be good to go. Much of my fundamental online education at that time came from the SFI member forums and knowledge base.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. :)

My tip to work-at-home newbies is this:

Form an alliance with a mentor or mastermind group in your area of interest, and
    let them guide your progress. But don't just intellectually absorb the things they share,
    put them into action and realize the benefits for yourself. That experience will be your
    best teacher.

Hermas

8. It can be tough to actually work from home... i.e. a job. Keep yourself organized and make sure you are giving your employer quality time.

If you are working for yourself this is even more important. Try to avoid busy work... Give yourself 8 good hours of business building per day then do busy work.

There are always productive things that can be done. Keep a list going.

9. Ant Hodges

Ant Hodges New Member

My top 4 tips
    1. Leave the house physically in the morning, walk round the block for 10 mins and then come in and get straight to work.
    2. Have a dedicated work space. Working from the lounge, the dining room or bedroom is not great. These are for other things! Keep your "work" space as that and the loung for lounging, the dining room for eating and the bedroom for _______ (other than sleeping you fill in the blank ;))
    3. TV off! Some people can work with the TV on in the background. Switch it off and focus on what you need to focus on.
    4. Leave jobs till after you have finished. Just because you are at home, does not mean you have to be doing the housework. Define times in the day where you are working and do house work when you switch off from work.

Nate Corliss, susanna, A8ch and 2 others like this.
  10. KB24

KB24 Active Member

Here are mine:

Come up with a plan and stick to it
    Don't jump from one thing to the next
    Set Goals
    Set a daily schedule
    Focus

So many people jump from one thing to the next and they wonder why they don't make any money. Stick to one thing until you see results then scale it..

11. ricksalas

ricksalas New Member

You probably have to decide if you want to make money or get results for others. You see, people promote making money because that is what sells for the people selling that tactic. It works, maybe for a while but dies off if you're just trying to make money.

There is no way to make money. But you can get the rewards of getting others results. The top network marketers do just that. People see what looks easy on the outside, just promoting a business, but on the inside they have their own optimized funnel, they know where their best traffic comes from by knowing how many sales are made there and they know how to become credible. They know how to get people to join them because others know they can get results for others.

The only thing is, they usually dont teach it because nobody wants to through the trouble. They think its too hard and will take too much time. They teach just the do what we do and the people that already have credibility make it and those that don't usually dont. So if you do certain things to increase trust, you can sell more than just somebody elses business. You can sell yours. It's a proven way and more predictable as far as long term success.

Well, a year is going to come and go so why not just go for it? Where will you be next year? Answer the hard questions and dont waste time. Find somebody credible that teaches it and do it. I have been through the same thing and learned the hard way. I had to ask myself the hard questions.

With that, either way you have to allow others to see you as credible, not your business or people teaching in it. I would build my own site, with a coaching program, a product or two that you know certain people have ask you for or maybe some program in your niche you can grow and keep building your credibility with it. People want to know that you can help in other ways. But I think that's where it starts. You can even start in forums. Check out my post I just answered in the SEO category in the "Helps in Forum Posting" topic. It can be something you might be interested in.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    A8ch likes this.
  12. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

That's an interesting suggestion and I like the psychology behind that activity. It mimics the physical action of going to the workplace and conditions the mind accordingly.

I have heard that some people who work from home actually get dressed for work. They don't work in their pajamas, or very casual clothes. Instead they wear clothes that could be described as business lite. It puts them in a focused frame of mind for working.

Whatever works!

Hermas

13. Stayathomewow

Stayathomewow New Member

I hope Iam responding in the right spot, newbie to this forum :) I would advise people starting out to join a community(for free to start) and get as much help from those who have done it as possible. I wasted a whole number of years doing a lot and gaining nothing until I joined a community that helped me learn more in a month then I did on my own in a year. HTHs

A8ch likes this.
  14. BusinessIdeas

BusinessIdeas Member

Some great advise so far on this thread, also I would like to say that finding something you find enjoyable or suits your skills will made life much easier when your first start working from home.

15. Drsavings

Drsavings New Member

I agree with what others have said about setting goals, very important.

-This is a business, treat it like one(not like a hobby)
    -Set a schedule

Stayathomewow likes this.
  16. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Best tip is to not believe anyone who overhypes the income side of business opportunties. The old get rich quick line is a sure give away that it is a lie for there is no such thing as get rich quick opportunity. Always look for a get rich slow opportunity is my best tip.

Always think long term, focus on recession proof businesses, ones which save people money, not induce them to spend more for less. Look at products which save people time, for time is money, especially when starting out for you will have to commit to invest the time necessary to start your business, so make the time, stick to it, never give up, even if you fail, for I have never met one single entrepreneur who hasn't failed before they found success.

Do not be afraid to fail, learn from mistakes, then move on. Sadly, most people are not conditioned to this basic fact about being in your own business. The fail, then never try again, similar to what we hear constantly in the MLM arena of home business opportunties. Simply put, it is not easy to become a success in any business venture, it takes time and money along with persistence to succeed, and choosing wisely will eliminate many of these obstacles etrepreneurs face when starting their home business.

For newbies, choose a company which offers products that practically sell themselves to eliminate the rejection factor. This is one of the biggest obstacles we all faced when starting our businesses, the fear factor of rejection. Rejection is part of all sales based businesses, and this is why so many quit before the really begin, rejection. So choose products which save people time and money first and foremost. Everyone wants to save time and money, so find that niche product which will do just that and your road to success will be shortened by 1000%.

Success to all,

17. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

First and foremost, SFI is a great business opportunity. I have been with them since 2002 and can tell you that they are one of the best and have been paying us affiliates on time all the time.

One of the secrets to success in SFI and in any network marketing business online is to bring in new and fresh people to see the opportunity and never give up no matter what.

18. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

What Ant said... once you find whatever it is you will be doing from home, whether it be a network marketing ( aka mlm... ;) ) affiliate marketing, writing for money, telemarketing... regardless WHAT it is, just treat it as a business and view YOURSELF as a business owner.

Spend some time every day just focusing on your dreams and where you want this new venture to take you, and then let the universe guide you along the way. Have fun and enjoy the journey.

Just2EZ likes this.
  19. AnneSamantha

AnneSamantha New Member

Well I have a few different ideas:
    1.If you have a job Keep it until you have matched you income - hard work but less stress, worrying about money.
    2.Choose something you are passionate about, you won't mind learning more and spending spare time working.
    3.Find some good forums, membership site, and a mentor you trust.
    4. start small as a hobby business.
    5. believe totally in yourself and your business, don't give up,but don't expect miracles overnight.
    6. Test and check for progress, be pleased with your growth, it will spur you on.

Happy New Year make 2015 a good one!!! If I am allowed to ad a video it is just wishing everyone a great new year

You tube code New Year

20. Tina Sassy

Tina Sassy New Member

I suggest (to newbies) to do what is doable. For instance, search for a work at home job and apply for it. You will find out that most all of those pay in pennies and it takes a while for the pennies to add up. However, at least you have something coming in for your time. While you are doing that you can also be building your own business up, be it affiliate marketing (promoting other's products) or building your own business. To do the later you'll want a website, an autoresponder (collects people's email that subscribes and also allows you to send newsletters/ad copy to them), and your own product; usually an info product such as an ebook.

With affiliate marketing you will also want the same as above; website (for squeeze pages), an autoresponder, and your chosen product(s), which also benefits you if it is niche oriented. Niche means what 'category' you are promoting; acne, weight loss, etc. Your blog or website should also be focused on that niche.

So, after rambling, I guess what I am saying is start by having multiple incomes coming in. Until you have a nice little amount coming in that you can re-invest in your own business. I started with online transcription and also (and still) have an etsy store full of digital products.

Good luck and Happy 2015!

YAGOOFT and payment proof like this.