What did you do first.

Discussion in 'Profit Lance' started by JTMx29, Mar 20, 2008.

1. JTMx29

JTMx29 New Member

I'm 18 and getting into affiliate marketing hopefully. I understand google, the internet, traffic and websites etc. I have some programming and graphic arts in me too. I am wondering though on how you started. The question is,

Did you start off by picking a niche or by using a clickbank ad of your choice? I understand you can do either but was it easier to pick a niche and then see what clickbank had to offer?
    Thanks,
    \ JTM
  2. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi JTM,

When I first started to try affiliate marketing, I tried to promote clickbank products using free ads, etc. I chose the products based on what I felt comfortable profiting from - although I have to admit, I've had live ads for over a year for clickbank products and have never made a sale that way - horrid I know.

Clickbank does have a section on trends, etc., that you can determine what is selling hot at the moment. I can't even remember the details now since I left that arena after only a month or so.

I decided it really wasn't my thing to promote various products willy-nilly. I ended up choosing a niche and building a site around it. The advantage of that was that I could not only promote clickbank products that related to the niche, but I was able to get approved for other affiliate programs (like Commission Junction) that sell hard goods rather than digital products.

I've sold a couple of clickbank products via my site, but by far I've sold more hardgoods.

That's just my take. It depends on what type of marketing you want to do.
  3. JTMx29

JTMx29 New Member

Thanks happywife, but when you say hardgoods do you mean material items like clocks, purses and so forth? or do you mean selling your own goods that you buy wholesale?
  4. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hardgoods could be either. It just means actual physical products as opposed to digital products. At least, that's my understanding. [​IMG]

In my case, the "hardgoods" may be chocolate candy, molds, fondue pots, whatever is related to my chocolate candy niche.

Don't forget, we are talking about affiliate marketing. So, I don't sell the products myself. I just direct my visitors to the sites that do sell them and earn commissions on the sales. I don't have to handle the stock or payments or anything.
  5. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

First of all - kudos to you. Wish I could have found this stuff at 18 !

You can see if there are affiliate sites out there on almost anything - I couldn't find hardly any on r/c airplanes, though - lol!

My hubby loves his hobby of flying r/c planes so we thot maybe we could do a site on them but that was a hard niche - however when we checked into art for my daughter there were tons of sites with affiliate links...

Is there anything you are passionate about.... see if there are affiliates out there on it..[​IMG]
  6. JTMx29

JTMx29 New Member

thanks for the help!