What do you lead with? Your product or your opportunity?

Discussion in 'Network/Multi-level Marketing' started by topmlmpro, Dec 5, 2012.

1. topmlmpro

topmlmpro New Member

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to throw out the question. What do you lead with? Your product or your opportunity?

I am curious to see what other people are doing to market and build their businesses. As for myself, I lead with the concept of a Challenge. Challenging people to better themselves both financially and health wise.

Product sampling and using tools such as dvd's or magazines and websites information to promote my opportunity is my primary way show someone what I do. Phone calls and 3 way calls to a support person too.

How about you?

Cheers

Judy Bonacci likes this.
  2. payment proof

payment proof Well-Known Member

My opportunity is my product. I always go first with offering assistance and helping others earn.

Kendra Hanes and Marcus Johnus like this.
  3. Cristi Doncea

Cristi Doncea New Member

I talk to people about getting their products that they use at home, delivered to them monthly without going shopping and i present the opportunity of making money from home if they will do what i do. I am trying to combine also the products and the company.

payment proof likes this.
  4. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Well-Known Member

It depends on where I'm marketing. If targeting people looking for home biz income, I lead with the opportunity. If in a situation that starts a conversation on product then I start there.

One thing about having a viable product, people that are not necessarily great recruiters can lead with a product to introduce people to their biz. In certain areas marketing leading with product is easier to do. Once you have people that are looking at your product, one can just ask are you open to looking at how to earn additional income after or during the product discussion.

5. crisstar

crisstar Member

More than ever before people are doing a multitude of things to build their business...

Depending on the marketing I'm doing, I'll lead with one or the other, but if you're doing online marketing, then it's best to stick with one (opportunity or product) unless you're experienced and can multi-task/outsource your marketing.

When doing social networking, depending upon whom you're communicating with, you can tailor your approach to either the product or the opportunity.

6. Dave Hawks

Dave Hawks New Member

With the opportunity that we offer at HHBB, there are multiple products and services. It would be very time consuming to go through each product
    We have been more successful offering the opportunity first. When offering the opportunity first, your prospect has a chance to choose. Would they like to open their own outlet and offer the products and services themselves? Or would they like to be a customer.

This allows the business owner to grow in both directions.

7. georgeingraham

georgeingraham New Member

Hi All... New here !

I have been leading with opportunity, but am starting to look at leading with product.. Customer first, then opportunity.

Have had a wall up in this regard ever since I started with this, my first mlm. I keep seeing others making the same comment online about the importance of creating the customer first..

8. Adrian

Adrian Member

If you want to be an effective marketer,especially online.Then you must learn to lead with VALUE first.
    You have to build a solid relationship with your customer First. You must find their needs wants and desires.
    After you find that out then you offer your customer a solution to his/her problem. Hopefully its the product or service you promote. People hate to be sold too,however they loved to be helped.
    If your potential customer sees you as someone who is really trying to help them.
    There will be no need to sell they will join up with you on their own.

People only do business with people they Know,Like and Trust :)

9. nikkinze

nikkinze New Member

I lead with anything. Typically, I will ask questions when I meet someone, just non threatening questions until I feel that the person I am talking to is comfortable, and then drop in something like, "How about this economy???" when they answer ask them how they are keeping afloat, they will generally lead you to the opening. Just ASK QUESTIONS!!!

Everyone likes to be asked for advice or to talk about themselves.

Remember, regardless of the product or solution or seemingliy UNIQUE angle, ALL network/MLM companies are there for the same reason. TO MAKE MONEY!!!
    I have been in the industry for oveer 20 years, and have been working for the past 18 months on my own MLM company. Scheduled to launch within the next 90 days, we feel that we have found a market that has not been touched, a product that is so inexpensive that virtually ANYONE can participate.
    We built this with people in mind who cannot afford to spend $300.00 a month on product and another $200 a month on demo products.
    Lets face it times are tough, I would rather have many successfull people making $1500-5000 a month than a bunch losing money and a few making $10,000.00 plus a month.

10. nikkinze

nikkinze New Member

Something that most people do not realize.
    1. Not everyone is a potential customer/distributor. We like to think that they are, but all we can do is meet people and possibly find an opening. There are too many people out there that pursue someone just because THEY think that this person would be GREAT at it.
    2. This is a numbers game, nothing more and nothing less, I find it odd that people get depressed when someone says NO.
    They are not saying no to you, but to the opportunity. You have to get so many No way dude, for every Sure, I wanna do this.
    3. Do not lose the names and numbers of your prospects that said NO. Check back with them 6-8 months later, their situation may have changed and they are now trying to remember who you were and what your opportunity was.
    4. RELAX
    5. RELAX
    6. Just keep doing the things you need to do, and you will eventually get there....
    7. Some people are further along on the curve or behind you on the road, do not judge yourself based on someone else's success or lack of it.
    8. Go out and look at other opportunities, you can get ideas from the ways that other people do things.
    9. Speak with your upline and role play with them to find out what you may be doing wrong.
    10. RELAX

payment proof, Seabead and Just2EZ like this.
  11. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Right now I lead with my product and the opportunity naturally presents itself. :)

12. Seabead

Seabead New Member

Totally depends upon the person and the situation. The key is to be flexible and perceive what they are saying, both verbally and non-verbally. Two ears, one mouth, use them accordingly. :)

payment proof and Just2EZ like this.
  13. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

PRODUCT! For many, especially MLMs, the product is "opportunity".
    Personally, a tangible product that has high repeat sales is preferred.
    Websites and pain relief are what I offer, the opportunity is optional.
    Most of my customers will never ask how they can make money too.
    Those who ask are already interested plus know the product.
    If the opportunity arises to share the opportunity, take it.

The main focus should be on providing "The solution" to their problem.

14. ibuzzmentor

ibuzzmentor Member

I was at our train the trainers event for our leadership group and the most powerful thing said was we are in the business of selling our unique product. After people use it and have success with it they then naturally will pass it on. We are marketing and looking for product users not some opportunity seeker who has a lottery mentality. I prefer big ticket business with real world products that provide real world value and service. When you look at Cool Trader Pro we have no competition and we have put something together never seen in network marketing before. You must have a business that meets the customer distributor balance that suffices it to be compliant. I would always lead with the product. Honestly if you are leading with your opportunity then you are probably ashamed of your product.

Chris

15. MikeBeener

MikeBeener New Member

I think leading with the product is best, but in some cases you may have to include or lead with the opportunity. It depends on your prospect and what is important to them.

I don't necessarily agree with Chis that leading with your opportunity means your ashamed of your product. Is that accurate in some cases? Sure. But that is a very broad statement and I don't think that is true for everyone. No offense meant Chris, just my $0.02.

16. CreateYourWealt

CreateYourWealt New Member

If you are marketing person-to-person, you know the old fashion face-to-face, stuf, create a 60-90 'elevator speech' that incorporates both opportunity and product, and ends with a question. Then the person you are marketing to can tell you which one they are interested in, opportunity or product, by their response. If they say something back about needing more money, than obviously, this is a lead for the opportunity. If they say something back about your product, then you have a product lead...

Now, this is a whole different story if you are looking to become an effective online marketer. Gone are the days where people just find something on the internet and pull out their credit cards. When this was a novelty, it was easy selling. But, the novelty has worn off, and now you MUST build a relationship with people. How do you build a relationship with people online? First, you must gather their email address, through a capture page, and then you provide TREMENDOUS value and build that relationship with them. You can build this value through a low-cost offer and is a tremendous value. But you cannot always bombard them with offers, you have to give them value that is free, like a free report or something...

Hopes this helps!

17. Dan_Clarke

Dan_Clarke New Member

I lead with the problem.
    What problem does the person have and than start talking about how I can solve it.
    Since I'm a personal coach the opportunity is my product, but I've found if I just start talking about how I can help people or say "Hey I'm a coach," I get tuned out.
    By bringing up the persons problems or potential problems, I can drop some advice and get them talking about how I can help them.

18. CatherineK

CatherineK Member

First I identify a Problem, followed by identifying a Solution.
    My view is you Must have a useful product or service and provide Valuable customer support with that product or service.

payment proof and MarieA73 like this.
  19. Uche

Uche New Member

There are several ways you can prospect and well as sponsor people into your primary business. The most important thing is the approach you're adopting. If your orientation is still with the conventional approach to network marketing, you may misunderstand the internet approach the way the top techie guys do it.
    For me, I'm an online guy and I believe in using technology to make life easier. I neither lead with my company nor my product, rather I focus on showing the prospect how he/she can overcome his/her urgent needs. The truth of the matter is that I target just two groups of people; existing struggling network marketers and those who are looking for new opportunities of earning more. I help the struggling networker show him how he can use the internet strategies turn around his business in a short, generating more leads, getting more affiliate sales as well as sign ups.

20. Karina Rosas

Karina Rosas New Member

I don't really do neither initially. I follow with HOW to do what I do. Information first, then they naturally inquire about the opportunity or product. :)