What is the best Laptop?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by manroger4, Apr 27, 2013.

1. manroger4

manroger4 New Member

Currently i'm using Dell Laptop. It working fine for me. It will help me a lot on my JOB. But i planning to take another laptop for my home. I think to take another brand from Dell. What your suggestion?
  2. westfam11

westfam11 Member

I just bought an Asus Vivobook and I like it a lot now. At first it was a little hard to get used to because it has windows 8 but it didn't take log to figure it out. It is small like a netbook which is perfect for taking with me anywhere, nice and light weight.
  3. annadenise

annadenise Member

I have a MAC and absolutely love it. They are more expensive, but I have never had the issues I used to have with Windows based platforms. They are also very easy to use. Since I work at home and no longer have a desktop (I love taking my laptop all over the house and on the balcony for changes of scenery) I have found my MAC lasts a lot longer than other laptops I had in the past. It seemed like I was replacing those every couple of years. I also have an IPad and an IPhone, so they are all similar in set up.
  4. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I have a Toshiba Satellite. I splurged a little and got one with exta memory and a 17" screen.

I absolutely love it.
  5. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

I second the Toshiba Satellite series for reliability, price, and options.
    In my years of repairing computers that is one brand I never have to fix,
    with the exception of the convertible tablets video cable coming loose.
    That is due to users twisting it 360 degrees instead of 180 and back.

Apple, IBM-Lenova, and Toshiba have the highest build quality.
    Toshiba gives more bang for the buck with great reliability.
    HP quality is improving but still not near the top.
    Dell is the brand I have to fix the most, 'nuff said.
    (not counting throw-away priced laptops)

The main things to consider are what you want to use it for.
    Gaming is where the biggest CPU differences show up.
    Storage, RAM, and ports matter more than CPU.
    Hyperthreading is the only CPU requirement.
    In my opinion of course, subject to change.
  6. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

I used to have a IBM Thinkpad and the build quality was excellent. No issues at all. I upgraded to a DELL 2 years back and I'm quite satisfied. No major issues though. However, I would suggest going for a Lenovo or Toshiba. My brother as well as my neighbor have HP and they both do not recommend it.
  7. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

First of all, I really think that Dell is way too expensive.

There are other companies on the market that are a lot cheaper and more affordable.

If you are going to buy a new one, I would encourage you to buy one that has a built in camera. Toshiba is pretty good too.
  8. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Active Member

Dell is sorry. I have one, XPS 15z, and will not be buying another. Harddrive crashed within 1 year. Mark in the middle of my screen from out of nowhere. However, my old Sony Vaio is still going with no problems! Sony gets my vote!
  9. MarieA73

MarieA73 Member

I have an HP with a hard drive that crashed when it was about 10 months old. My daughter's Toshiba overheats a bunch. My son's ASUS is the most reliable of the lot. We all (the whole family) have laptops because we are international and have moved quite a bit.
  10. I have a Lenovo and an ASUS but I am not a laptop fan. I like to use my desktop most of the time.
  11. happywife

happywife Gold Member

It's funny how we all have different experiences!

I have a Toshiba Satellite (my second) and have promised myself not to buy one again. The last one only lasted 2 years because the mouse button stopped working and the techs said it would cost so much to fix it I'd be better off getting a new one.

I bought another Toshiba because it was the best price for the money at the time. Within the first year, several buttons on the keyboard stopped working and I had to have the keyboard replaced. Thankfully it was still under warranty at the time. My trouble with it now is that it keeps "freezing" up on me. At least once a week I literally spend hours wrestling with it, booting and re-booting to get it unstuck and functioning again. It drives me mad. :)

I kind of wonder if there is some weekly task that the computer automatically performs that renders the computer incapable of running properly till the task is complete.

It's a shame, really, because when it runs right I love it. I just can't take the weekly seizures much longer. ;) Guess I'm going to have to fork out money for a new computer soon!
  12. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Yes, it does a disk defrag weekly. The schedule settings can be changed in "Disk Defragmenter".
    That was one of my main gripes in the old days, defrag can be dangerous sometimes.
    Now it is standard on all Windows systems.
  13. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Aha! Well, maybe I could set it to run while I'm asleep! :) Only trouble is my computer goes to sleep when left unattended, so that might now work for me either. Grin!
  14. David Tampien

David Tampien New Member

In addition to the advice given my suggestion would be to choose a model from above and enter it into
    Google requesting a review of that model. That would give you an expanded experience base and perhaps help you in making your buying decision.

David Tampien
  15. BuyYourOwnHouse

BuyYourOwnHouse New Member

I love my Samsung!
  16. kimboathome

kimboathome New Member

I had an acer and had the hard drive fail. Got it replaced under warranty only for it to fail a second time! Not good. I had a Toshiba in the past for several years and never had a problem with it despite using it quite hard. So I'd probably recommend the same brands as mentioned above. Toshiba, Lenovo, Asus. I'm currently using a Sony and am very happy with it so far.
  17. whitney black

whitney black Member

You definitely want something other than Dell, they're a lot harder to work on. Try a chromebook if it's only for online business. Hope that helps!
  18. BeautyMomAlice

BeautyMomAlice New Member

I hate Dell. I had one once and bought 3 years insurance on it. Luckily they came to the home as it was repaired over 2 dozen times. Since then I stick with Toshiba Satellites. I love them. They are easy to use, light weight, work well, and great features and the price is very good. they also withstand kids and I have five of them so they are a well made product.
  19. DCollier

DCollier Member

had 4 HP laptops in the past 5 years , all failed hard drives. over powering and blowing them up.
    Im on my 12 year old soni vio clunker, noisy but dam it still works . thanks for all your recommendations here.