What is the best way to check the position of your site in Google?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by SherrieB, Jul 25, 2011.

1. SherrieB

SherrieB New Member

Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me what is the most accurate way to check the position of your site(s) in Google?

As Traffic Travis, Market Samurai and Rank Tracker often give conflicting information, I was advised that the best method is to use a proxy server, so I've been using TheCloak.com.

However, this morning, I couldn't access TheCloak, so I used HideMyAss.com and that gave vastly differing results from TheCloak.

I appreciate that there will be some difference in results, depending on the source used to gather them, but surely they shouldn't be hugely different?

If anyone can offer any advice on this please, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Sherrie
  2. westfam11

westfam11 Member

Hi Sherrie,

Have you tried Scroogle.org (not .com because that is a bad site)? You can put your site in there and it will show you where you are I believe.
  3. SherrieB

SherrieB New Member

Hi Rebecca and thanks for your reply,

I'd never heard of Scroogle.org before, so I gave it a try but I can't access the site.

Thanks anyway [​IMG]

Regards,

Sherrie
  4. dmitch31

dmitch31 New Member

You can go to seobook.com and they have an extension for firefox you can download that will check the google results for how your website ranks for a particular keyword combination. You can even set it to pull results each day in an automated fashion.
  5. CeleneHarrelson

CeleneHarrelson New Member

SherrieB

Here ya go! whatpageofsearchamion.com/

I use this all the time. No cost way to know where what page you are on in Google and all major search engines.
  6. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

CeleneHarrelson: whatpageofsearchamion.com/
    Thanks Celene, never saw that one before, clean, fast, and free.
    Works like a charm for Google which is the hard one to find.
  7. dosil

dosil New Member

That's a good info, whatpageofsearchamion.com/. Thanks for sharing it.
  8. loner44

loner44 New Member

actually, free public proxies are pretty worthless - they die quickly and you get biased data based on the country where the proxy is from.

so if you are serious about accurate rank checks, get a rank tracker you like (i like the one from seo powersuite but it's pricier than market samurai, with monthly fees, though more accurate), then get a paid proxy from the country you are optimizing for so as to avoid inaccuracies in resullts

also, when double checking rankings by hand, make sure to delete all the cookies from the browser and log out of your webmail accounts especially gmail - all these factors affect the search results you will be seeing, which will make you think that your rank tracker is completely inaccurate whereas in fact you are simply affected by personalized search results.
  9. stellaandreapar

stellaandreapar New Member

Thank you for some link recommendations guys. I needed these too.
  10. Stephen Hanover

Stephen Hanover New Member

After echoing loner44, I would add my suspicion that your ranking may vary considerably because it varies considerably on Google and other SE's, especially if your site is relatively new or if your targeted keywords are receiving a lot of new activity "out there." And even if there is no new activity for your keywords (which is unlikely), Google's continual Panda updates (I think I read about every few weeks of late, but I'm not sure) has been shaking up the rankings like aftershocks to an earthquake. [​IMG]
  11. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

I have never in two years checked my rankings in Google. If I happen to be at a friends and they have a computer, I may key in my top keywords to see where I am at. That's about it.