What is your oldest operating computer hardware or software?

Discussion in 'Humor' started by Just2EZ, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Bragging rights? or embarrassing?

I have a Dell XPS-R (Pentium II) computer that still runs 24/7 using W98 Beta!
    Why? Because it has my Zoom 14.4k multi-line Voice/Fax/Modem with 999 mailboxes.
    The Zoom modem was an awesome piece of hardware in it's day and still works fine.
    With one exception, it still knows the date but doesn't know the year since Y2K.
    It has fax on demand I used to use for customers to get a price list or help pages.
    Although I've been through a dozen others since then, none would fit the modem.
    15 years that machine has been running 24/7/365.
    They don't make 'em like that anymore!

(I took it off-line long ago and only use it as an answering machine now)
    So what is your oldest STILL OPERATING computer or software?

payment proof and Vishal P. Rao like this.
  2. payment proof

payment proof Well-Known Member

I have a hard drive sitting in a drawer that contains a version of Windows XP. It's not hooked up to anything, but it is still operational.

Does that count lol? :)

Just2EZ likes this.
  3. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Well, not exactly. I have an 8yr old Dell that is running XP Pro still in use daily for scanning pictures.
    The W98 Beta is on a 15 yr. old hard drive that is only 120 MB and still humming along smoothly.
    It was "upgraded" from W95 when I was part of the Sedona test group for W98 pre-releases.
    I never updated it to the "stable release" because the Beta version was more stable!
    Nice try though.

payment proof likes this.
  4. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Sigh! Gifted my IBM Thinkpad with Win98 to my sister-in-law last year :(

payment proof and Just2EZ like this.
  5. payment proof

6. TniComRec

TniComRec Member

I have a laptop with windows ME.

Just2EZ likes this.
  7. payment proof

8. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

My dad used an abacus even after calculators were invented (which he helped on at TI). Said it was faster.

9. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

By the way, I retired those machines (and myself!) finally in 2015.
    Still have them sitting as reminders though. Quality stuff.

10. Newoak

Newoak Member

My brother has a Laptop with Windows 98 that he wanted me to fix up to connect to his Broadband, I laughed. The End

Just2EZ likes this.
  11. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Funny, I have had dozens of computers over the years, still have a working Apple 2e, as well as all the others, never dumped any of them, and they all still work last I checked. With all the hardware advances over the years, and now with prices of PC's dropping like a rock, none are worth repairing these days, so as I see it, most will use tablets in the future, just as with TV sales down, younger generation settles for movies and TV shows on their tablets or smart phones. With new virtual reality systems where you slip in your Samsung to watch movies, TV or gaming, no need for huge flat panel TV's anymore. I was blown away by how real everything looks in these latest devices, so this is the future since you can also use this technology as a computer you wear like goggles. Crazy.

Success to all,

Newoak likes this.
  12. Elicosan

Elicosan New Member

Do game consoles count? :D

13. payment proof

14. Elicosan

Elicosan New Member

Yes, I do have an Atari 2600 :) I also own a Sega Master System and a NES of course!
    Do you have any consoles?

15. payment proof

16. Sinclair zx81 somewhere in my mother attic. Not high tech but my first ever computer

Just2EZ likes this.