What is your oldest operating computer hardware or software?

Discussion in 'Humor' started by Just2EZ, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Bragging rights? or embarrassing?

I have a Dell XPS-R (Pentium II) computer that still runs 24/7 using W98 Beta!
    Why? Because it has my Zoom 14.4k multi-line Voice/Fax/Modem with 999 mailboxes.
    The Zoom modem was an awesome piece of hardware in it's day and still works fine.
    With one exception, it still knows the date but doesn't know the year since Y2K.
    It has fax on demand I used to use for customers to get a price list or help pages.
    Although I've been through a dozen others since then, none would fit the modem.
    15 years that machine has been running 24/7/365.
    They don't make 'em like that anymore!

(I took it off-line long ago and only use it as an answering machine now)
    So what is your oldest STILL OPERATING computer or software?

payment proof and Vishal P. Rao like this.
  2. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I have a hard drive sitting in a drawer that contains a version of Windows XP. It's not hooked up to anything, but it is still operational.

Does that count lol? :)

Just2EZ likes this.
  3. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Well, not exactly. I have an 8yr old Dell that is running XP Pro still in use daily for scanning pictures.
    The W98 Beta is on a 15 yr. old hard drive that is only 120 MB and still humming along smoothly.
    It was "upgraded" from W95 when I was part of the Sedona test group for W98 pre-releases.
    I never updated it to the "stable release" because the Beta version was more stable!
    Nice try though.

payment proof likes this.
  4. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Sigh! Gifted my IBM Thinkpad with Win98 to my sister-in-law last year :(

payment proof and Just2EZ like this.
  5. payment proof

payment proof Active Member