What not to do in SEOs

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by josaphlewis, Jul 19, 2010.

1. josaphlewis

josaphlewis Guest

I have often asked members of this forum to lead me to some dofollow blogs to post comments and help in my link building. I now regret it. I had to clear my blog with 20000 nonsensical comments which were posted on my blog by 'link searchers'. For all those who use these methods, posting a valid comment will help you gain more links. You don't want to be blog spammed, so why spam others. I hope this does not sound too 'preachy' and is of help to you guys.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Anders J likes this.
  2. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

I know that one way to get free back links to your site is to post at other people's blogs. Some people just go there to spam and get as many links in as many blogs as possible.

This is not the way to do it at all.

If your goal is to post at other blogs, what you do want to do is to post good and informative comments.

Some people go to a blog, and post something like:

I totally agree.

That's their whole post.

So you don't want to do that.

Tal

Anders J likes this.
  3. gowriter

gowriter Member

What kind of blog platform are you using?

If you're using Wordpress, install the Askimet plug-in. It catches 98% of spam comments.

If you're using Blogger, it gets a little trickier. You'll need to go into the setting and moderate ALL your bog comments.

Blog commenting is good for getting backlinks to your site that also get traffic. Plus, you can put a time limit on the blog commenting.

Most blog platforms are set to 14 days for blog commenting. If you want less than, you can set it to 7 days, 6 days, etc.

Relevant blog comments are good for blog because they add freshness that can help you maintain rank.

Anders J likes this.
  4. Margo Tuul

Margo Tuul New Member

Ye, use Askimet if you are using Wordpress blog. Another thing what you can do, is to set comments as "approval only".

5. sarauk

sarauk New Member

Oh my goodness 2000 spam! That is scary!

6. JerickT

JerickT New Member

The key in blog commenting is you must contribute on the blog site and not just dropped a comment that they called spam comment.

7. bairsmith

bairsmith New Member

Hi,

Blog commenting, in the right way, is the best way of promoting your blog/website. There is one suggestion that

instead of writing names, write the keywords you are targeting.

Just read the whole website and write some suggestion or appreciation of the related post you are commenting.

8. Tess_T

Tess_T New Member

Blog commenting is a great way to increase your search engine ranking, but SPAMMING is definitely not the way to go about it!

You're also more likely to get an actual reader from the blog click through to your site if you offer useful or interesting information[​IMG]

9. Justine

Justine New Member

For me Blog Commenting has got so many benefits!! There are many blogs out there with really great content, so it is a pleasure to leave comments after reading a fantastic article [​IMG]

10. diaocchinhchu

diaocchinhchu New Member

Totally agree. To have good comments we should have good articles to read. Most of the articles posted on blogs are not good quality engough to have good comments. Dont have much to say.

11. jamess

jamess Member

Yes, Askimet plug-in I am also using this plug-in... Blog Commenting is very important but I think 90% of blog comments are spam on the web so I would recommend that if someone want to get blog comment advantage then don't do spam

12. dotnettraining

dotnettraining New Member

thanks for sharing information

13. Anders J

Anders J Member

I do also delete about 3-5 spam attacts done by some software I guess as it gets past the numbers of visitors count and always the same page on my personal blog.

Bring value even in blog posts and whatever link you want to put there. If it does not relate why should it link? It is not good for my business and will only attract the bad stuff like low Google PR and so on.

Thanks to all for sharing their insights as well!