What to do when you can't get a job?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Guns N Rachel, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Guns N Rachel New Member

I've been watching this site for some time, I just haven't posted before. I'm currently 18 years old, and I just moved out on my own with my boyfriend to the city where the college I go to is.

Basically, I can't get a job. I have applied everywhere from McDonald's to Taco Bell to even the scummiest cleaning jobs. I live in a very small town, and locals HATE college students. Having to put on all of my applications that I am from 900 miles away, and go to the local college, is like a huge black mark. I have been trying for a month and a half now, with not even a single call back. I go back to every place I apply 1 week later to check on my application, nothing.

So I am turning here, broke, hungry and tired of feeling useless. I'm new to all of this, I don't know how to make money online. I've done online surveys but have found that most don't pay out more than $5, although I am open to good survey sites if you all know any. I should also add that I am a web designer, although business is low (or should I say NONE!) where I'm at now.

I just need some help, and I would be so appreciative if anyone could give me any advice.
  2. talfighel Silver Member

Welcome to the forum. Keep looking and one good job will come your way.

When you do get a job, also look for a network marketing opportunity that you can get yourself into.

Tal
  3. mountainmom5 Gold Member

Welcome Rachel!

I know what you are feeling as I have an 18 year old daughter that moved about 800 miles away and she is having the exact same problems you are.

One suggestion I have to make a bit of fast cash if you have a camera and computer is to sell stuff on Ebay or Amazon.

Don't worry if you have never done either. It is really simple.[IMG]

Ebay has a feature now where you don't have to pay to list items with a starting bid at .99 or less so if you find something that you think might sell on Ebay, list it and see whay happens.

Just follow the simple guidelines on Ebay, set up a Paypal account (it's all free to set up) and then go yard saling. [IMG]

I picked up a box of old linen hankies for a few bucks at a yard sale - and listed them in sets of 5 to 10 on Ebay and made about $50 off that little box.

Shipping tip for Ebay: when you ship try to ship priority as you can get free boxes at the PO and the rates are not that much higher. It will take a few times to kinda get a handle on the shipping rates but if you have questions about that, feel free to come ask on here and we'll help you.[IMG]

You can make money with affiliate marketing etc, on the internet and I always encourage people to start learning about it but it takes time - Ebay is the only FAST way to make money that i have found.

Start learning about affiliate marketing here
  4. FreeCashMan Active Member

If you are 900 miles away, it would appear that you would be moving near by in order to work.

Have you been noting on the application that you will be moving, or considered using the local address you will be at?
  5. annalaurab New Member

What about these ideas:

Go to your local chamber of commerce and market your web design services. I find it hard to believe that no one would take you up on it.

Also you can start blogging and use google adsense and other ads as well as selling ebooks to make money.

If you are determined enough there is always a way.
  6. jbpatlanta New Member

If you are a decent web designer I know tons of people would pay good money for websites.

You could start up a website to market your services. Get traffic to it and the whole world is open to you.

You could start by posting at elance or other site liek this. Advertise you design websites.

What I would do is look at what other people charge and charge less for the first 10 customers, on the condition they will give you good testimonials you can use.

Then advertise yourself using these testimonials and charge more. If you get people saying how good and quick your service is more people will use you.

In fact, if you overdeliver, finish early, and meet deadlines many people will pay a premium price for that service.

Got any questions ask away.

Good luck

JPB
  7. adamtaylor New Member

If you're not getting any interviews, it's time to reconsider your resume. First, examine it to make sure it contains no spelling or grammar errors. Then have a friend or colleague check it. You cannot succeed in this competitive market if your resume isn't 100% accurate. Include a section up top detailing your skills. It should include hard skills like knowing certain computer programs and soft skills like being a strong communicator or team player. Try to match the language used in the job ad.
  8. jenni2010 New Member

As one person said, affiliate marketing is a good source of income but does take time to learn and start making money. Then again, if you catch on fast and end up being really good at it you could start making money within a few days/weeks. I dont want to get your hopes up with this though. However, i'm sure there's all sorts of free information about this all over the internet, probably even within this whole forum, if you'd like to start researching it. And anyway, even if it does take you some time to figure it all out or start making money with..it can always be a side income once you do find a job.